2015/03/18 19:50:01
donaldgiven
In console view, I would like to see assignment buttons for each track to each hardware output, like a real console. This would also make it possible to assign a track to multiple stereo outputs (also like a real console). In general, the aim should be to make the console look and behave as much as possible like a real one.
2015/03/20 06:47:15
lfm
In a way, I feel that trying just to emulate hardware you will be limiting ITB work and daw as such.
I'm thinking of ability to expand/collapse track folders also in console view - which now isn't even visible.
Hardware has nothing like that.

ITB you can have nested track folders withing folders - hardware has nothing like that.

So just objecting to that daw should behave like hardware does.

But all for ability on to assign multipliple hardware out - I do that externally now in RME Totalmix.
But hoping for a better solution than Cubase, that has some weird Ctrl click thingy.
2015/03/21 15:31:42
donaldgiven
LFM: thanks for your comments. I am not familiar with the term "ITB" nor am I familiar with RME Totalmix. But having assignment buttons to outputs has been around for many, many years on recording consoles, and with good reason--many times you want to assign inputs to more than one hardware output. My specific application is to use the hardware outputs for headphone monitor sends and be able to decide what I want in each headphone. My workaround is to create postfader sends on each track to the hardware output and just assign the track output to "none." Kinda makes the track output superfluous, but...
I have a further problem with routing in Sonar (and this may need to be on another forum, I don't know): recording a choir with speaker playback of an accompaniment track. The choir mic tracks need to feed the control room monitor during record and playback, but the recording room speakers only during playback (to prevent a feedback loop). My workaround for this is to have their mics feed 2 Sonar tracks and have the input echo selected only on the track that sends to the control room monitor. Wonder if there's a more elegant way to do this?
2015/03/21 19:42:46
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
lfm
In a way, I feel that trying just to emulate hardware you will be limiting ITB work and daw as such.
I'm thinking of ability to expand/collapse track folders also in console view - which now isn't even visible.
Hardware has nothing like that.

ITB you can have nested track folders withing folders - hardware has nothing like that.

So just objecting to that daw should behave like hardware does.

But all for ability on to assign multipliple hardware out - I do that externally now in RME Totalmix.
But hoping for a better solution than Cubase, that has some weird Ctrl click thingy.

I definitely agree with this more than what the OP stated. While it's good to have a console view and a controller to get the feel of a real console while working at the DAW, DAW features should not be restricted by what hardware was like in recent years (and hardware is now changing, too, with digital mixers and their DAW like routing features) ...

donaldgiven
LFM: thanks for your comments. I am not familiar with the term "ITB" nor am I familiar with RME Totalmix. But having assignment buttons to outputs has been around for many, many years on recording consoles, and with good reason--many times you want to assign inputs to more than one hardware output. My specific application is to use the hardware outputs for headphone monitor sends and be able to decide what I want in each headphone. My workaround is to create postfader sends on each track to the hardware output and just assign the track output to "none." Kinda makes the track output superfluous, but...
I have a further problem with routing in Sonar (and this may need to be on another forum, I don't know): recording a choir with speaker playback of an accompaniment track. The choir mic tracks need to feed the control room monitor during record and playback, but the recording room speakers only during playback (to prevent a feedback loop). My workaround for this is to have their mics feed 2 Sonar tracks and have the input echo selected only on the track that sends to the control room monitor. Wonder if there's a more elegant way to do this?

ITB = "in the box" which means that is all done inside a digital audio workstation (DAW)

All you are trying to do can be done with buses for headphones in Sonar, which you can route to any output.

As regards different routing for control room / recording room this is also best done in the audio interface at zero latency. You have not specified your audio interface, but any serious audio interface with multiple outputs also provides direct monitoring and routing options these days ...

2015/03/22 07:07:07
donaldgiven
My interface is a PreSonus 1818VSL and yes, it does have direct monitoring/routing software; but I would rather do my setups within Sonar so they are saved with the Sonar file. That way when the project is pulled up everything's set up (ITB--within the DAW).
Did you read my previous post where I said that using a headphone send was my workaround? Of course it can be done another way, but that wasn't my point. How does having an additional capability restrict you? Kind of an oxymoron. Are you afraid that if Sonar puts assignment buttons on the track modules that they will then take off something else? I'm not getting the fear here. Not having the assignment buttons (at least for an old-timer like me) really takes away from, as you say, the "feel of a real console."
Oh, and what about the other problem I mentioned (needing input echo on one monitor and not on another)? Anyone got any ideas?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account