2015/03/20 16:12:44
bvideo
The bank number displayed in the bank widget in the track header or inspector is not very useful anyway. Then there's not much room left for the bank name. How about eliminating it and displaying just the name? That's the way the patch select widget displays. (This is mostly for h/w synths.)
2015/03/20 16:25:59
brundlefly
Hey, Bill, I'm sure what you're referring to. I'm thinking possibly that "bank number" text is actually in the particular Instrument Definition your using...?
2015/03/22 11:49:27
bvideo
Greetings, Dave...

Yes, a "bank number" appears in the instrument definition, but it's separate from the patch list name, it's not useful information, and it's not helpful to display it in the widget.

In the instrument definition file you can have named patch list definitions. (I know you know all this, Dave, I'm just spelling it out for anyone else that might be interested). They show up in the "names" tree on the right (of the Define Instruments and Names dialog). In each patch list definition, there is a list of patch number-to-name mappings, like "0 = Fantasia". The idea is one patch list has all the patches of one bank of one instrument.

So I put my custom patch list in there with a suitable name, like "Bill's JV80". Then on the left side, under the Roland JV-80 instrument, in the Instruments tree, I drag my patch list from the right side into the Patch Names for Banks folder. I have no choice but to give it a bank number for the bank select method. Because the bank number is 80 for that bank in the JV80 (Roland's rules), I need to put "10240" as the bank number for the bank select method (80 * 128). Sonar's rules. So the line under the Patch Names for Banks folder says "10240 = Bill's JV80".  That's how the so-called bank number appears in the instrument definition.

The problem is when I see the bank select widget in a JV80 track, it says "10240 Bl..." or something like it. The "10240" is pretty meaningless, and it doesn't leave any room left for my custom patch list name (my bank name, really).

For patch names, Sonar is nice enough not to display the patch numbers that appear in a similar fashion in the patch lists, so there's more room for the patch name.  And it's my choice: if I wanted to see the patch number, I could list it as part of the patch name, even using the manufacturer's peculiar notation, like A11 for patch number 0 in some Rolands. I'd just like the same display method for the bank, i.e. don't display the encrypted bank number.

I'd admit I'm asking a flog, since the widgets are already mangled to the outer limit of readability, and who uses h/w any more, but it would help.

2015/03/22 18:10:24
williamcopper
Complicated explanation, but I concur.   Read his post carefully, CW.
2015/03/23 17:21:19
brundlefly
Ok, I misread. I thought you were saying the literal string "bank number" was appearing as well as the numeric value.

Dave
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account