• Software
  • Top 7 Things Wrong with Gibson
2017/10/30 18:46:48
TheMaartian
I've got a 2013 SG Bass that plays just fine. Gonna count my blessings and move on.
2017/10/30 22:55:25
kitekrazy1
6th things right by same guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miDW4YjKgUA
2017/10/30 23:28:29
kitekrazy1
TheMaartian
I've got a 2013 SG Bass that plays just fine. Gonna count my blessings and move on.

Did you play if before you bought it?   If I ever bought another USA model from Fender or Gibson, I'd look over the finish and the playability. I probably wouldn't buy one online.  

My MIM Tele is a nice build. Epis are nice budget guitars.  Since moving away from the Midwest I miss Washburn guitars.
2017/10/31 01:45:31
JohnKenn
Few years back, went into Guitar Center and played the new Gibsons, stuff they keep high on the racks so you can't get them without salesman help. Major bummer. They were crap. Not the slightest integrity of the ancient icons their good reputation was built upon. Neck was crap. Sound was crap.

Revelation made worse by a good friend whose late mother was a master luthier for Gibson. This lady was great, incredible. Worked even into her late 80's to do the hi end designer contracts. Means like if you wanted a 10k Gibson mandolin, she was the artist that delivered the axe to you.

She revealed off the record and in private that the mass production of the Gibson axes screwed you as a consumer hoping to get a quick sale on the Gibson name. She mentioned as an example the Guitar Center Gibson Humming Bird acoustic. What a deal at Guitar Center. Way cheaper than anywhere else. The venerable lady revealed from inside the company, how these Hummingbirds were mass produced with inferior quality, inferior materials. Borderline pieces of junk slopped together to get you starry eyed at the discount. But hey, had the Gibson logo and hope that you didn't have the resources or reference point to know something was not right.

Happy with my 40 year old Ibanez acoustic. Bastardized MIM strat does everything electric I could ever want. Not worth to spend a couple thousand more to have some withering logo on the head stock.

3 grand on a recent Gibson is no option. IMHO, Gibson quality has gone to the sewer. Maybe they will regroup and get it together like Fender was faced with, circa 2000 or so. The trouble Gibson is facing is unfortunately deserved, although not celebrating in the problems of employees trying to support and feed their families. Gibson is a joke of something that was once so beautiful, powerful and precise.

John
2017/10/31 13:42:28
bitflipper
Wealthy endorsers whining about the free guitars they get...boo hoo. They can afford to have one custom built.

2017/10/31 14:12:37
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, The two Les Pauls I have are fairly recent make (both Custom Shop)... and they're two of the finest guitars I've owned (out of many higher-end guitars bought/sold to ultimately get them).

Recently, played some upper-tier Les Pauls at the local GC.
They have a beautiful red quilt-top (forget the official name of the finish) that plays/sounds great.
The only turn-off (to me) is the "Richlite" fretboard.

2017/10/31 14:13:13
Starise
Lower prices on Gibson, forget Epiphone as a cheap fill in. Sell one guitar well made for a decent price. Gibson buyers are not Taylor buyers. If you want a Taylor there is only one with that kind of sound. To go better than that you need to go to a custom guitar. Martins are great too but they sound like Martins.

This isn't the case with Gibson. There are worthy substitutes for less. The next gen doesn't necessarily hold the name in as high regard as the previous generations did. A few will, yes, but the numbers are getting less and less.
2017/10/31 15:15:11
ampfixer
I only have 2 Gibson products left at home. 1 is an acoustic L1 made in 1930 and the other is an Epiphone made in the Kalamazoo factory in 1959. I hate the new stuff, but their old stuff is amazing. 
2017/10/31 16:46:43
bdickens
I have an Epiphone Les Paul from roughly 20 years ago [!] Put some Seymour Duncan '59's in it and it plays & sounds great.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account