2017/11/03 02:54:13
kitekrazy1
Upgrade price is sticker shock.  Over $200.  Sonar 4 Life $199 when it was offered.  Sure Live is great but my budget says not so.

2017/11/03 03:33:16
2:43AM
Looking forward to this one...partially.  Live 9 was getting a little long in the tooth.  I'm more of a Live fan now than I ever was before.  Because I missed the boat for Cakewalk life-renewal, partly because I bought a second-hand copy of Live 9 Standard on GS and began bonding with it, I lost track of my time with Cakewalk SPLAT.  Personally, I dislike the subscription model.  I fear the day Ableton will do the same, if they ever will.

Anyway, Live 10 appears to be upgraded with some cool things.  Max4Live seems to be integrated in the software itself, rather than an add-on.  However, is it only for Live 10 Suite?  If not, then it would be great to get it in Standard.
2017/11/03 04:25:26
Fleer
Switched to Bitwig.
2017/11/03 07:36:27
pwalpwal
is there a detailed "what's new" somewhere? i can only find the basic comparison chart in the shop, and can't see any real benefit of sticking with suite version (wtf needs the same 70G of sounds as every other user??)
2017/11/03 13:09:11
SmokeyJ628
How hard have you looked?  There's a "See What's New" link right on Ableton's front page.
2017/11/03 14:42:26
pwalpwal
SmokeyJ628
How hard have you looked?  There's a "See What's New" link right on Ableton's front page.

well it was early this morning!
2017/11/03 16:17:05
2:43AM
SmokeyJ628

Still is a little cryptic, but here is what I surmise:

New devices: Wavetable, Echo, Drum Buss, and Pedal.  Echo, Drum Buss, and Pedal will be available in Standard versions as audio effects, but Wavetable is an instrument and will be included in Suite or a separate purchase.

Capture: a pretty no-brainer; standard in all versions.  One thing that I wished Live could do is MIDI overdub, or "Sound on Sound" as Cakewalk puts it, and it's been done in Sonar and earlier MIDI software such as MOTU since the dawn of time.

Edit Multiple MIDI Clips: I hope this means that a grab-select-transpose-all becomes available.

Create and Arrange More Fluidly: Live's Arrangement View has always been the 2nd and runner-up view for Ableton's development and attention.  Glad to see that it will get some enhancements, because quite frankly, the Session View is saturated and already pretty damn powerful.

Workflow Refinments: Browser needs help.  This is good.  I hope they add a snap-to-open-folder-right-to-the-plugin when a search is performed, but I'm not getting my hopes up.  Note chasing, from what I understand, was something that was supposed to happen back in the Live 8 days.  Not really concerned about it though.  I/O Renaming, ala Cakewalk Sonar's "Friendly Names" will be a warm-welcome to the I/O numbers.  Mixing Improvements have already included workarounds to automate Utility instead of the faders for better control.  Sounds like EQ8 will go lower, instead of bottoming out at 35Hz, but who cares?  Oh wait, Hans Zimmer will appreciate that for his next Bladerunner sequel's soundtrack!   Groups within groups: great more levels to confuse me!  Refined look and feel improvements will hopefully allow better contrast and color themes, like a good, dark one.  But I already appreciate Live's ability to change colors and scale the GUI, so it can only get better.

Push: don't care.

New library of sound: don't care, but both Standard and Suite versions will probably get more sounds, with Suite getting the bulk majority.

Max for Live: ah, just noticed that Max for Live will come included in Suite, which it already is now. But it's better integrated?  Not sure how that could be, but without ever testing it for myself, then I have no idea.  There was never a demo available for just Max for Live.  You had to demo Live Suite, which will probably be the case even more.

2017/11/03 21:50:24
anxiousmofo
The upgrade pricing is kind of disgusting when one considers that Ableton, from 9.5 until now, was mostly using their software revenue to fund Push focused development, leaving users without Push holding the bag.  The software might as well be called Push Companion.  Things appear to be on a steady course in that direction.

Still excited to see Live 10.  That said, I'm going to wait until they (hopefully) fix their lousy plugin management in a point update.
2017/11/03 23:43:02
abacab
I just noticed that I'm eligible for a 20% off upgrade to Live 9 Standard, with a free upgrade to Live 10 for $ USD $159.
2017/11/04 01:27:12
kitekrazy1
pwalpwal
is there a detailed "what's new" somewhere? i can only find the basic comparison chart in the shop, and can't see any real benefit of sticking with suite version (wtf needs the same 70G of sounds as every other user??)

I think they should do away with the Suite and everything is considered an add on.  You basically are caught in the Suite upgrade chain just so you can use your previous libraries.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account