• Software
  • Live 10 coming in 2018. (p.2)
2017/11/04 19:58:05
2:43AM
anxiousmofo
Still excited to see Live 10.  That said, I'm going to wait until they (hopefully) fix their lousy plugin management in a point update.

I kind of don't mind their plugin management if you are referring to the custom VST folder(s).  I use shortcuts (in Windows) which references the real plugin folder(s).  It keeps things a bit cleaner, IMO.

Now, if you're referring to the lack of VST3 support, lack of 32-bit support, or the lack of the ability to organize Waves plugins (i.e. cracking them out of the WaveShell), then I'm with ya!

Like I mentioned in my other post, I just wish the Search in the Browser "goes to" the plugin and I don't have to click one more time to open the folder that contains said plugin so I can see and use said plugin.  The point of the search function is to jump right to it and that's it!  No excuses!  The Dewey Decimal system didn't just take me to the right aisle of books, it took me right to the book!

kitekrazy1
I think they should do away with the Suite and everything is considered an add on.  You basically are caught in the Suite upgrade chain just so you can use your previous libraries.

I agree, but Suite is good for people with nothing, though it is quite expensive.  The samples are pretty good compared to Sonar's included bits and one-shots, but alas they are just samples and it's all about how you use or manipulate them.  I went with Standard specifically and refuse to upgrade to Suite just so I can stay out of the Suite upgrade path, like you said.  The only thing I'm interested in that Suite contains is Max for Live, which can also be had ala carte.  Hopefully that remains that way.  But Max for Live for me is $159.  One could ask themselves why not just spend an extra $112 and get all the [AAS] instruments, Sampler (which would be really powerful to have), plus Max for Live.  Once you start blurring the line between what's already been bought for use between platforms, such as standalone AAS instruments (e.g. Chromaphone 2), the decision gets harder to make.  So far, I've remained in the Standard side, and for all practical purposes, it's good enough for me.
2017/11/04 20:39:22
forkol
kitekrazy1
Upgrade price is sticker shock.  Over $200.  Sonar 4 Life $199 when it was offered. 

I have both.  However, IMHO, I don't think you are being fair.  I have Suite 9, and it came out in 2013.  They have made free updates since then, many significant.  Also, I got in pretty cheap for Suite 9.  Suite is huge, and comes with Max4Live, which will be fully integrated into Live 10.  Also, if you move to a Mac, you have the option to move there for no extra cost.

The Sonar Lifetime was $199, but you can no longer get it.   So, to get in now, you either will pay monthly, or you will pay $499.00 and then still have to pay for annual updates, which look if you can get it on sale to be at least $99.00 a year.  Also, I'm a bit worried of the current status of Cakewalk.

I (and you) were wise to get Sonar Lifetime when we did, but if you are a brand new user, depending on if you're trying to decide between Sonar and Ableton, I think it's not an easy choice just based on cost alone.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account