• Software
  • Great quote when it comes to buying plugins. (p.3)
2017/11/01 00:05:13
kitekrazy1
2:43AM
The fact that so many plugins are available now that do basically the same thing results in our brains receiving that instant-satisfaction chemical dopamine.  We think that we can get better results with another stupid, waste-of-money plugin even if it's cheap.  And the cheaper the better; It's a cheap fix.  But it doesn't do anything more than what we already have.

Can't say that I'm not guilty myself.  I keep track of all of my purchases for music-related stuff, and the sum of all my plugin, software, and DAW purchases over the years has equaled almost HALF of the total I've paid for my hardware synths!

But that one-more-$22-Waves-plugin is so nice.  I gotta have it!  It will help me, I swear it will.  It has "color" and "character."  BS.

EDIT: Yes, it's a bit ranty.  After all, I'm not good enough to hear "color" or "character" in a plugin unless it's smacking me in the face and is quite obvious.

The first thing many people do is ignore the plugins included in their DAW.  Without any testing they assume they are inferior.  Many people cranked out a lot of tunes in Reason before they introduced REs.  I find myself using the ones included in FL Studio and Live a lot more.
2017/11/01 00:19:49
Leee
Izotope's Ozone.  I was intoxicated by the beautiful and colorful UI.  But in reality any of the dozens of compressors, EQ's, vintage analog gear, etc. that comes with Sonar Platinum will do the job just as well.  However, Ozone is also more convenient by having everything you need for mastering in one neat (colorful) package
2017/11/01 00:54:15
jude77
Leee
Izotope's Ozone.  I was intoxicated by the beautiful and colorful UI.  But in reality any of the dozens of compressors, EQ's, vintage analog gear, etc. that comes with Sonar Platinum will do the job just as well.  However, Ozone is also more convenient by having everything you need for mastering in one neat (colorful) package

I don't even want to think about the number of plugins I've bought because they looked good.
2017/11/01 00:56:48
Fleer
I only buy plugins to look good. OK, strike that.
Edith: it's true.
2017/11/01 01:28:54
Leee
Speaking of colorful and cool looking UI's...  We're like a bunch of cats, easily distracted by shiny objects.

2017/11/01 01:31:29
Leee
kitekrazy1
Perfect for those situations when your 73 other compressors just won't do the job

Perfect for those situations when your 73 other _____________ just won't do the job.
                                                              insert needless purchase above

Or it could read:
Perfect for those situations when your 73 other ______________ aren't cool looking enough.
2017/11/01 03:22:03
JohnKenn
Transitioned out of the work force a year ago. Retired relic. Went from a six figure income to a social security check.
Obvious some economic adaptations needed.
The GAS affliction was a prime target. From getting anything I wanted with pocket change to having to weigh in if the expense of the new toy or upgrade was a real need or not.
Went through about 3 months of severe withdrawal breaking knee jerk habits, but have only fired up the plastic for two acquisitions in a year's time.
For me, the air has cleared a lot in this respect. Newest latest and greatest come and goes. If a thousand of my plugs can't deliver a better sound, the problem is not with the plug. Severe lesson to learn, but if I can't find the sound with the 50 compressors I have, I'm beginning to doubt that comp 51 will make any difference.

John
2017/11/01 03:35:51
Fleer
Wise indeed, John, very wise. And retire from the workforce is the best one can do, if the option’s there. Money is overrated as a commodity. You just need what’s essential in life. And sales are good when they go low. Very low. All in all, musical software has come a long way nowadays to have fun at little to no out of pocket cost.
2017/11/01 11:24:03
Grem
Fleer

Wise indeed, John, very wise.

musical software has come a long way nowadays to have fun at little to no out of pocket cost.

Yes, very wise!

And it has come so far!! When I first started out I never would have dreamed of a studio in one of my bedrooms. Then when computers based music programs came out, I only dreamed of a fraction of what I have today.
2017/11/01 14:44:07
jude77
JohnKenn
If a thousand of my plugs can't deliver a better sound, the problem is not with the plug. Severe lesson to learn, but if I can't find the sound with the 50 compressors I have, I'm beginning to doubt that comp 51 will make any difference.

John

I just know that compressor #52 will make the difference, though!   I know it will.  I do.  It will be better.  I'm sure.  I'm getting it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account