2015/03/16 03:53:15
mettelus
I had a friend I used to work with who used the Windows "Magnifier" a lot, and his was set up to zoom at the cursor location. I tried this out today and regardless of what I tried, it just kept messing with the entire screen. I cannot figure how to do what he did (at the cursor only), but Windows has this built in. Supposedly it is a mouse button feature, but my mouse didn't like it.

In situations where zooming (or even UI navigation) may only require a few seconds, it would be handy to have this capability within SONAR itself. It "seems" it would be easy to key-bind within SONAR this existing Windows feature (zoom on cursor to user values set within Windows). Sort of like temporarily using the alternate snap-to-grid setting by holding down N... hold some key and Windows Magnifier kicks in while held.
2015/03/16 04:06:39
scook
I have the magnifier pinned to my task bar. I set the Views drop down to Lens mode. It can easily be added to autoHotKey. Here is the script to bind the magnifier to Windows+z. The Magnifier is already setup to close using Windows+Escape.

#z:: Run Magnify
2015/03/16 04:18:46
mettelus
Thanks scook, I realize that is definitely an option. My bigger concern is more from the perspective that to many if it "doesn't exist" within SONAR then it doesn't exist period. This forum is incredibly helpful, but it will not reach all users, which is more the intent of the request (to make the program more self-contained as it were).
2015/03/16 04:53:31
scook
If you prefer to avoid autohotkey, add the Magnify program to the Utilities menu. It is documented here https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013099/Adding-third-party-audio-editing-software-to-SONARs-Tools-menu. While the instructions provide an example of adding SoundForge practically any program can be added using the same instructions. Here is the registry export with the magnify program bound to Alt+UM

.reg file --------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Tools Menu\Magnifier]
"ExePath"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\Magnify.exe"
"MenuText"="&Magnify"
"StatusBarText"="Run Windows Magnifier"
"Type"="Generic"

2015/03/16 07:22:42
Kamikaze
I've voted, as I use a full HD 15.6" Laptop, and Sonar doesn't like to be in the windows recommended display setting. The knobs and Faders for the cakewalk stuff become glitchy and jumps everywhere when in the Normal setting, and cakewalk advise to use 'Smaller'. Smaller makes things tiny, such a AAS Ultra small...... errrr Ultra Anlog.

I've previously resorted to trying the Magnifier to overcome this deficiency so I can see how its of use. If touchscreen is going to work in laptops with sonar, magnifier maybe an answer.

EDIT: as I wrote 15.6' laptop, and you wouldn't need Magnifier on that
2015/03/16 08:43:11
BobF
Good stuff brought out in this one guys!
2015/03/17 02:29:11
FidelityMusic
I don't know if this works in Windows 7, but in Windows 8.1 the Windows-Key + + and - keys launch the magnifier. You can control the zoom level by continuing to press the + and - keys to zoom in and out. The magnifier also launches in the previously selected View Mode.
2015/03/17 02:33:59
scook
It is the same app.
2015/03/17 02:44:09
FidelityMusic
I know it's the same app, I'm talking in regards to whether or not the keyboard shortcut works on Windows 7 as it does in Windows 8.1. If the shortcut does work then there's no need for autoHotkey because everything is already setup, plus your zoom level controls are right at your fingertips when you launch the magnifier.
2015/03/17 02:50:06
scook
It does, in my case I never bothered to learn more than pin it to the task bar. Might remove it from the task bar now.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account