• Software
  • [SOLVED] ChordPulse is very useful but...
2017/10/16 16:48:17
ZincTrumpet
I sometimes use ChordPulse  to create quick backing tracks which I then export as a MIDI file and import to Sonar as a starting point for a track. I can then assign the MIDI tracks to decent sounding virtual instruments to create a much more convincing sound.

This works fine apart from one annoying "feature" in the exported MIDI file. Strings or Pad tracks created in ChordPulse typically contain short chords with a cc 64 Hold controller to sustain the chord until the next one (see below). So when working on the song when you stop the track to edit something the tracks with these cc64s continue sounding (until you hit the panic button). This gets very tiring very quickly!

I can easily edit out all of the cc64s but then I have to go through each track manually and extend the chords to continue until just before the next one. I'm sure there is a way to do this either using a built-in function or CAL. Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks in advance
ZT 

2017/10/16 17:29:00
scook
Instead of exporting, try connecting ChordPulse to SONAR with a virtual MIDI cable. LoopBe1 and LoopMIDI are a couple of free options. Once the virtual cable is installed, go into the ChordPulse Options > More... menu and change the MIDI output device to the virtual cable. Then open SONAR, add the virtual cable to MIDI input devices and create a project with synths on channels 10 through 16.
2017/10/16 18:15:27
ZincTrumpet
Thanks for the suggestion scook.

I already had LoopBe installed as part of Liquid Notes which was handy. I just tried your suggestions but the resultant recorded MIDI still looks like the above (short chords with cc 64 to control the sustain). Maybe some kind of MIDI filtering within Sonar would help?
2017/10/16 18:39:54
scook
I hadn't noticed the problem probably because of the synths in my template. There is a legato.cal which will stretch the notes. It could be modified to delete CC64 too.
2017/10/16 19:02:01
ZincTrumpet
Thanks scook. I will give it a go and post it here if it works.
2017/10/16 19:13:45
TheMaartian
scook
Instead of exporting, try connecting ChordPulse to SONAR with a virtual MIDI cable. LoopBe1 and LoopMIDI are a couple of free options. Once the virtual cable is installed, go into the ChordPulse Options > More... menu and change the MIDI output device to the virtual cable. Then open SONAR, add the virtual cable to MIDI input devices and create a project with synths on channels 10 through 16.

I had been using LoopBe1 for years with no problems, but a couple of months ago, I needed two ports, so I used LoopMIDI instead of paying for LoopBe30. Got the job done...and I forgot about the switch.

And then I started having latency issues playing my MIDI controller in real time. I chased that around for a week or so and finally tried switching back to LoopBe1 (uninstall LoopMIDI, reinstall LoopBe1). Latency gone!

So, I bought LoopBe30 and stuck with the default 2 ports. No noticeable latency.

LoopMIDI was adding latency just by being there; I wasn't even using it.

Anyone else have this experience?
2017/10/16 19:20:14
S.L.I.P.
There is a CAL script called "Thin Controller Data." Not sure if that will work, but you can try it. 
2017/10/17 09:14:10
ZincTrumpet
Thanks S.L.I.P - for some reason that CAL script wouldn't work for cc 64 (I specified every 1 event i.e. all cc64 events).

Thanks scook; The LEGATO.CAL script actually does most of the job and works great (I hadn't noticed that CAL script before but it will be getting a lot more use in future). I then manually remove the cc64 events from the PRV controller view using the erase tool (takes a few seconds).

Makes the whole job simple and quick. So I have marked this as solved.

2017/10/17 11:24:03
msorrels
Here's a version of LEGATO.CAL that asks if you want to remove the sustain events and removes them.  Might be useful.  I have ChordPulse (but don't use it very often) and this seems to work, though it's just a quick hack (and I'm not very good with CAL).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6PJ_vzx_2PaSWNTMmYyc0I0bG8

2017/10/17 11:53:31
ZincTrumpet
Helpful as ever, thanks Matt.
I will give this a go when I am at my PC.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account