2017/07/03 22:32:28
Belthus
Hi all

First post, and thought I would include a quick introduction before I get to my main question.

Settled on SONAR as my DAW of choice 6 months ago.  Prior to that I spent several months using various demos and lite versions of Ableton, Reason and FL Studio to name a few.

My only other experience of anything computer music related was back in the Atari ST and Amiga days, however I did also play bass guitar in a band throughout my teenage years.

Fast forward 30 odd years and things have certainly changed.

Ok my question.

Im using SONAR Platinum and also opted for Rapture Pro, however I'm interested to see what other people are using in the soft synth department that integrates well with SONAR.

I understand that certain soft synths may be suited to certain styles of music, and there are different technologies/sound engines (if that’s the right term) used.

My own personal taste in music is extremely varied, but given the toolset I have at this time I am playing around with purely electronic music, think: William Orbit, Tangerine Dream, Jam and Spoon as a few examples.

I'm not sure where my own music creativity will take me, if anywhere, however its always good to see and research what other people use regardless of music style.  Thinking outside of the box can sometimes produce some great results.
2017/07/04 00:18:06
abacab
Here is a popularity poll of the current top 50.

I have SynthMaster 2 and Z3TA+2.  I think that u-he Diva and Zebra 2 are next on my list.  I like the demos! 

http://www.musicradar.com...the-world-today-621799
2017/07/04 05:32:26
occide
I made long tests lately, comparing the synths and FX I own / freeware and categorized them good and bad.
Here's the good list.
Commercial:
Synth:
Iris 2
UVI Falcon (Sampler and mother of all synths)
Air Loom (best out of the old package that is constantly on sale)
FX:
Neutron
Valhalla Vintage Verb
BT Stereo Imager
BT Tempo Delay
BT Valve Drive
LP EQ and MB Comp
Adaptive Limiter
Free / Gimmick:
Synth:
TyrellN6 and BazilleCM (get those! They are free resp. cost you one issue of CM Magazine. They sound as good as Repro-1 one, just make yourself and FX chain like Repro-1 has, Waveshaper, Drive, Resonant filter, Delay, Reverb)
TAL NoiseMaker
FX:
MWaveShaper
MStereoScope
SGA1566
HY Filter 2 Free
ReverberateCM
IVGI2
TDR VOS SlickEQ
OrilRiver (use it as send effect ;) beware, latest beta version seems a bit buggy)
HY-MBMFX, great multiband Spatial / Stereo Width adjustment
EDIT: Updated list with the ones I forgot.
MiniFilter V (giveaway a while ago)
TAL Reverb II
Transpire (giveaway a while ago)

Took me days actually month, when I think about it, to compile this collection, it's not just random stuff.
Hope it helps!

2017/07/04 11:15:18
Glyn Barnes
You mention Tangerine Dream so you may be looking for something with a lot of analog programing capabilities?

Softube Modular https://www.softube.com/modular is a favourite of mine. This is not a synth if you just want to call up presets, you do need to understand how modular analog synths work to get the best out of it. You can get a 20 day demo version if you want to try it.

XILS 4 https://www.xils-lab.com/products/xils-4-p-148.html is another of my favourites, based on the old EMS VCS3 synth used in the 70's by the likes of Pink Floyd and Roxy Music. Unlike the original this one stays in tune!! They have reated a double version in software.

Synthmaster has been mentioned and it is excellent, for a traditional analogue guy like me that grew up with synths like the VCS3 programing from the ground up is a bit more obtuse but it has an amazing range of presets and you can buy more, they have somthing to fit most styles of music. 

Cakewalk's Z3ta is a very capable synth, many get put off by the EDM orintated presets but the wave shaping functions, the dual filters and extensive modulation options make it a very capable synth.

GForce's Minimonsta is a go to for me when I want traditional Mini Moog sounds. Arturias V collection is also a very capable package, on the latest update they added some Tangerine Dream inspired patches.
2017/07/04 14:12:45
abacab
Glyn Barnes
You mention Tangerine Dream so you may be looking for something with a lot of analog programing capabilities?

Synthmaster has been mentioned and it is excellent, for a traditional analogue guy like me that grew up with synths like the VCS3 programing from the ground up is a bit more obtuse but it has an amazing range of presets and you can buy more, they have somthing to fit most styles of music. 

Synthmaster is up to version 2.8.10, which now also includes scalable UI skins for 120-140-160%, so you can nearly fill up a HD monitor and make it easier to program for old eyes!

For the Tangerine Dreams (one of my most favorite electronic artists ever), check out SynthMaster expansion pack: Expansion - Nori Ubukata - Dawn Of Electronic Music Vol3 - Tangerine Dream
Demo track on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/kv...synthmaster-expansions

For other classic synth patches, I have Nori Ubukata's "Historic Synth Giants" Vols 1-4, and I love all the cool Floyd, Genesis, ELP, Vangelis, Jarre, sounds, etc.  Full list of expansions here: https://www.kv331audio.com/purchase.aspx

I really think that this synth can be whatever you want it to be!
2017/07/04 20:18:27
Belthus
Thanks to all for the time and effort in replying, some of these synths look absolutely superb and exactly the sort of thing I would be interested in.  A vast majority have never come up searches online (or I dismissed them) or in any videos on that popular video streaming site.

Saying that, armed with the information in these posts, and using the same popular video streaming site, I was able to get a good idea of the usability and sounds offered by the ones recommended.

So thanks for the recommendations, its been a great help.

Off subject, but in reply to some of the comments.

I was a latecomer to sampling the delights of Tangerine Dream when Underwater Sunlight was released around 1986, however I did then go onto listen to some of there earlier music as well.

I really started getting into music around 1982, so grew up with the new age electronica music if that’s how you would describe it: Kraftwerk etc.  I still love all those sounds, but also have a deep fascination with more modern ambient music, with the sounds and technical theory that go into pulling it all together.
2017/07/04 20:35:34
abacab
Belthus

I was a latecomer to sampling the delights of Tangerine Dream when Underwater Sunlight was released around 1986, however I did then go onto listen to some of there earlier music as well.

There is no wrong answer, just a few detours, LOL!  Happy hunting!

I bought that Underwater Sunlight on cassette (and a Sony Walkman to go with) back in 1986 or 1987 when I was out of town for a few weeks and wanted some new music to listen to.  I pretty much wore that one out.  When I got home, I plugged that tape into my roommates stereo, and his reaction was "wow, that's really good!". 

I picked up some more of their stuff along the way...

Fyi, the "Dawn of Electronic Music Volume 3" expansion also has sounds from Kraftwerk, in addition to Tangerine Dream. 
2017/07/05 00:52:40
GjB
Nexus 2 has got some nice electronic type sounds.
2017/07/05 10:38:19
Belthus
Glyn Barnes

Cakewalk's Z3ta is a very capable synth, many get put off by the EDM orintated presets but the wave shaping functions, the dual filters and extensive modulation options make it a very capable synth.

I'm going to have a look at the Synthmaster Demo over the next couple of days, it looks interesting and has a ton of positive feedback from reviews and more importantly its existing user base.

Z3ta is possibly one i will pick up at some point as i do like the version included with SONAR.

occide

I made long tests lately, comparing the synths and FX I own / freeware and categorized them good and bad.
Here's the good list.
Commercial:
Synth:
Iris 2

Downloaded the Demo of Iris 2 last night, very impressed and certainly one i would consider.  Really liked the Pads included in the Demo, exactly the sort of thing i'm looking for.

It did look a bit brutal where CPU usage was concerned, however that's to be expected given the age of my system which will hopefully get updated in the months going forward.

GjB

Nexus 2 has got some nice electronic type sounds.

Nexus 2 also looks great and while having a quick look i see there are a ton of add on sound packs available.

I'll do some research on this one also over the next few days.
2017/07/05 13:26:50
abacab
Belthus

Downloaded the Demo of Iris 2 last night, very impressed and certainly one i would consider.  Really liked the Pads included in the Demo, exactly the sort of thing i'm looking for.

Iris 2 $49 sale price ends today!  Have been looking at that one for a while.  It normally lists for $149.

It is a sample based synth, so it does not have the traditional oscillators as sound sources.  Normally I like the classic VA or hybrid synth/sample based synthesis.  But this comes with an 11GB sample library and a unique way of filtering and processing them to get some unreal sounds.  Looks really good if you intend to create atmospheric or ambient type sounds.

I don't really "need", it but for that price I am considering it. 

Here is a Sonic State interview with the iZotope product manager.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account