• Computers
  • Help Cant' boot my studio PC (p.4)
2018/02/14 12:19:39
pentimentosound
http://www.asrock.com/mb/...0Anniversary/#Download

I got the manual this morning, though I can't say I figured out anything yet. LOL
It appears I've never updated the BIOS

BTW my PC is this one with 32 gb of G Skill DDR3 1600 and the 2 extra internal drives in my sig.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227580
Thanks

Michael
2018/02/14 17:01:44
pentimentosound
After clicking on UEFI and trying my Windows Recovery thumbdrive (which I used Windows 10 option to make about a month ago) I got this message
File:\Windows\system32\winload.exe is missing
Error code: 0xc000000e
Though I've tried Enter (to try again) and F8 for Startup Settings, nothing happens. (this is that same page)
 The Startup window may be flashing by .... I can't tell and the ASROCK options for F2  F9 or F11 go by so fast I can't read them..

Is UEFI like BIOS or the same?
Is Boot From Onboard LAN how I get to add or change to booting from the DVD drive ??

Michael
2018/02/14 17:53:20
abacab
pentimentosound
After clicking on UEFI and trying my Windows Recovery thumbdrive (which I used Windows 10 option to make about a month ago) I got this message
File:\Windows\system32\winload.exe is missing
Error code: 0xc000000e
Though I've tried Enter (to try again) and F8 for Startup Settings, nothing happens. (this is that same page)
 The Startup window may be flashing by .... I can't tell and the ASROCK options for F2  F9 or F11 go by so fast I can't read them..

Is UEFI like BIOS or the same?
Is Boot From Onboard LAN how I get to add or change to booting from the DVD drive ??

Michael

It sounds like you will need to rely on an external boot source, like the Linux option.

I have your manual pulled up and will look it over shortly. I'll take a look at the boot order options for your setup.  Boot from LAN is not an option to consider here. 

UEFI is the new BIOS used on recent generations of motherboards.  You probably don't need to be too concerned with the details, just understand they are different, and you are dealing with the UEFI flavor on your system here.  The geek stuff here if you are curious > https://en.wikipedia.org/...ble_Firmware_Interface

You may run the UEFI SETUP UTILITY by pressing <F2> or <Del> right
after you power on the computer, otherwise, the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) will
continue with its test routines. If you wish to enter the UEFI SETUP UTILITY ater
POST, restart the system by pressing <Ctl> + <Alt> + <Delete>, or by pressing the
reset button on the system chassis. You may also restart by turning the system of
and then back on.

Sometimes this can happen so fast, I make a habit to start tapping the <del> as soon as I see the first splash screen...
2018/02/14 18:04:22
pentimentosound
I have yet to see an option to boot from the DVD drive. I even watched a tour of my mobo....
I wondered if I should load the UEFI default values

Michael
2018/02/14 18:19:07
abacab
I looked through the manual an the 'Boot' section even states this, but I can find nothing on setting the boot order.  Weird!  Never saw a BIOS like that before.  I am running Asus, and I have full boot order options in the same menu.

4.7 Boot Screen
This section displays the available devices on your system for you to configure the
boot settings and the boot priority.

Just make sure that 'CSM' (Compatibility Support Module) is enabled.  Then try putting the DVD in and rebooting.  Maybe it is automatic selection?
2018/02/14 18:23:11
abacab
I wouldn't reset any other options in the BIOS just yet.  No telling what might change.  That being said, the defaults are usually the most conservative and generally should work.  As far as flashing the latest BIOS, if what you had was working, probably no need to go there.  The safest way to deal with a BIOS is, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. 
2018/02/14 19:58:23
pentimentosound
I'll check that and try again.
RE defaults   I did manage to set the "boot from" to my UEFI thumb drive at one point but now that isn't even showing up. Hence resetting seemed an option.
I really appreciate all the help!
Michael
2018/02/14 20:25:55
aidanodr
Is this the BIOS Boot screen?

If so, then just change the boot option 1 2 3 4 to the order of devices to boot from. In your case at the mo, to boot from LINUX CD Set BOOT OPTION 1 to DVD/CD Drive and 2 to the HD?

2018/02/14 20:33:11
pentimentosound
Yep   but only 1 &2 are showing and they are both disabled and I haven't figured out how to enable either.
Thanks Aidan
2018/02/14 20:33:57
aidanodr
pentimentosound
Yep   but only 1 &2 are showing and they are both disabled and I haven't figured out how to enable either.
Thanks Aidan

Take a picture of your BOOT tab screen in your bios using your phone and pop it up here?? Use a service like TINYPIC to upload it / get a URL for the image and add here:

http://tinypic.com/
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account