• Computers
  • Help Cant' boot my studio PC (p.6)
2018/02/14 21:34:34
abacab
aidanodr

I wonder should CSM be disabled? as it says under description over right in that screen shot? 

He is not trying to boot Windows. 
2018/02/14 21:35:26
aidanodr
The BOOT OPTION #1 should probably be set to either:

Windows Boot Manager OR AHCI P0 WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NAO. The latter is the Harddrive in your system. I imagine your system is not booting to Windows without either of these set?

2018/02/14 21:37:44
aidanodr
abacab
aidanodr

I wonder should CSM be disabled? as it says under description over right in that screen shot? 

He is not trying to boot Windows. 

I know BUT as i said on previous post, were those BOOT OPTIONS always set to disabled. They should not be. The BOOT OPTION #1 needs to be set to the Harddrive so Windows can boot ( Windows Boot Manager I think ).

RE the DVD Drive, maybe physically check to see the sata and power cable are attached properly at both ends inside the PC?

2018/02/14 21:48:53
aidanodr
Though a different BIOS .. this may help:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1013017/

This DISABLE SECURE BOOT is something I forgot actually.

So stay with CSM enabled, stay with UEFI enabled, but secure boot disabled if possible, see if DVD option appears after reboot / into BIOS.

Also Im not sure on your board what F key gives you the boot order menu as system boots allowing you choose what to boot from, maybe F12 or F11 before you reach the windows load screen, just after the motherboard splash screen. With Secure Boot off this might work

2018/02/14 22:01:29
abacab
On my Asus board with UEFI BIOS I leave CSM enabled.  UEFI and Legacy both allowed.

Good thought on checking the SATA and power cables to the CD/DVD drive.  They may have become disconnected.  Wouldn't hurt to reseat them.
2018/02/14 22:03:47
abacab
aidanodr

I know BUT as i said on previous post, were those BOOT OPTIONS always set to disabled. They should not be. The BOOT OPTION #1 needs to be set to the Harddrive so Windows can boot ( Windows Boot Manager I think ).

RE the DVD Drive, maybe physically check to see the sata and power cable are attached properly at both ends inside the PC?

I believe Windows Boot Manager is the correct choice for normal operation.

Strange that he found all options disabled.

Then again, back to the original problem, Windows not booting.  Maybe the UEFI/BIOS wigged out and disabled all boot options.  So like maybe try setting the boot to Windows Boot manager and try for a Windows boot again?
2018/02/14 22:18:51
pentimentosound
OK   Sorry it took me a while to get back.
Secure boot is disabled
Windows Manager for the boot wasn't there and now it is. That's next

If my DVD bay opens and the light is on does that mean it's plugged in?
2018/02/14 22:26:26
pentimentosound
THis time F11 gave me the option to try booting from my Recovery Drive (and I had the DVD drive open) and now I have 4 Boot Options but not the DVD drive yet.
2018/02/14 22:36:40
pentimentosound
No joy, but it felt like something to feel hopeful about! LOL
If I get to boot Windows from my Recovery drive would that be UEFI or FAT32 ? I assume it's FAT32 since I made that drive from Windows and not from BIOS/UEFI.

2018/02/14 23:05:48
abacab
pentimentosound
THis time F11 gave me the option to try booting from my Recovery Drive (and I had the DVD drive open) and now I have 4 Boot Options but not the DVD drive yet.

The F11 recovery drive is a special partition on your hard drive. You probably weren't seeing that earlier if the Windows Boot Manager was disabled in the UEFI/BIOS.  Windows Boot Manager gives you access to that at boot time.

The thumb drive recovery is similar, but located on an external device for those times that you cannot boot from the hard drive.  In that case, you can select the boot from USB device.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account