2009/02/20 03:40:01
Benny Bear
A while back a forum member asked for advice on backup software. On the strength of members reply's I purchased Acronis True Image. It is excellent.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of using web design software e.g Adobe Dreamweaver?.

Any thoughts / experience would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is off topic, but the quality of replies are usually very good.
2009/02/20 05:00:58
Marah
I like Dreamweaver a lot, though still use version 8, which is the last version before Adobe acquired Macromedia. So I don't know if or how it's changed over the last couple of versions. That aside....

The thing about DW is that there are number of different ways to use it, and entire aspects to it that you can ignore. (Not that different from Sonar, where you might only do audio and never touch MIDI, or vice versa, or never use Groove Loops....)

What I like about DW is that it's very useful for managing sites, and keeping local files in sync with the files on your server. It will auto-update links and link references.

It has a very nice code editor, with color coded tags, and tag auto-complete (I forget what it's actually called) so you can start typing a tag, or a value, and automatically get a list of possible ways to complete it. That might sound intrusive, but it's a great way to insure against tag-value mis-matches, or misused tags (it's pretty context sensitive) or plain old typos. It works for both HTML and CSS and Javascript (plus various other formats... I think... HTML and CSS are the ones I use mostly.)

DW has a WYSIWYG editor, but I've never found it too reliable as a check for what I'm actually doing. But, it's very useful for fast navigation through a page, because even though the layout isn't always accurate, it's accurate enough to see sections, objects, text, etc, and this layout view is always (usually) in sync with the code view. (Similar to how the Navigator in Sonar stays in sync with the track view.)

It's not perfect, but I find Dreamweaver a pleasant program to use.

I also REALLY like Macromedia (now Adobe) Fireworks, which is a web-oriented graphics program that seamlessly integrates editing bmp and vector art. (Here too. I'm a few versions behind.) It's not as powerful and all-purpose industrial-strength as Photoshop or Illustrator, but it combines the most important functions of both of those programs into one really neat package. I always look forward to using it. Unlike Photoshop or Illustrator, Fireworks doesn't need to maintain its legacy as a print-oriented program, so it has a more modern and streamlined feel to it. Every so often I need to do something that is better done, or can only be efficiently done, in Photoshop, but that's actually pretty rare. Fireworks can save with full PS compatibility.

Another program you might want to look at is Movable Type, a Content Management System (CMS) program that's most often used for (and is oriented towards) blogging but can in fact be used to manage almost any kind of website, especially one with frequent content updates. I don't find it a substitute for Dreamweaver... they're very different... but it's possible that others might. But, using MT and DW together, drawing on the strengths of each, makes a really powerful combination... though it does take some wrap-your-head-around-it time. Partly because it's packaged with a blog orientation with lots of premade templates and (supposedly) easy-to-use features, Movable Type can be kind of inscrutable until you manage to demystify it. It's templating language is not too dissimilar to XHTML. It's also free. :)

Hope this helps!

2009/02/20 05:17:19
Benny Bear
Thanks for all that information - you have been a great help. I know there are some people who hate Dreamweaver and some who love it.

2009/02/20 12:02:29
Fog
Simon although DW is handy, to get the most out of it knowing HTML on it's own is a big help. I mean my friends bought it / use if for their business and they know flash inside out.

you can even use open office , I mean to generate the basics and just build on that.

I used to use a thing called fusion

http://www.netobjects.co.uk/

I got it on the front of a mag cover disk and upgraded it, but the upgrades I feel are too pricey and they are forever sending junk mail to upgrade. There are plenty of other things out there besides DW that do a decent enough job.. it's a bit like people who go on about photoshop ... it's industry standard BUT there are plenty of other capable things.. e.g. paintshop pro... the gimp (which is free).. I have a light version of Photoshop that I got with my scanner OEM, which is still good enough for a fair few tasks.

most of the time I'd just use a text editor that has support for html tags like crimson editor (which is free)

some peoples sites assume everyone now has a fast connection , which is still wrong. I mean some people are on dial up still these days. So if I was to build a new site (which I will have to at some point) I will make sure the balance is there.. on one hand you want it to look nice, other hand it needs to load at a decent speed.

2009/02/21 04:40:59
Marah
Fog is definitely right about knowing HTML. With a program like Dreamweaver, it is possible... supoposedly... theoretically... to use it in a pure WYSIWYG mode and create web pages through its layout view and never actually touch any HTML. But the results are flakey at best, and the HTML and CSS that results is very bloated and inefficient. You wind up sacrificing creative control for a simplified ease of use. This I think is one of the reasons DW has gotten a bad rep and is so often hated by hard core HTML jockeys (which I am definitely not.) However, if you are already reasonably ok with HTML and CSS, then using DW as a code editor and site manager is I think a good solution. I use it, with Top Style as an external CSS editor, and am quite happy with the control and flexibility it gives me. Of course, for simple HTML editing , there are lots of other options, many free, as Fog also mentioned.
2009/02/23 10:29:02
Fog
Marah, the wsiwg things have left bloat behind in the past I found..

another thing I used to use, haven't used it in a LONG time is ignite.. for optimising graphics

http://www.ignite-it.co.uk/

it was good in the sense of a friend would do a mock up the pages they wanted in say photoshop and do the on/off status as layers and put rulers / dividers in in PS..

I'd just run the files thru ignite to get the elements of the files.

but I did do a extra section of an album, it was basically a website on the disc.. with exclusive content videos included etc.

I mean you don't even need to have to use things like flash etc. to do it.. the bonus disc that you got with the film Madagascar had a auto-run file on it that basically opens up a web browser ..it was a freebie shell execute program they used to do it that you can get off the web.

that's what annoys me, so many albums have the music and loads of space on the disc for more. e.g. my friends band spent a small fortune on a video BUT it wasn't included in the full album release.. which I never understood / got.

there is so many things people can do, but don't with websites etc.. that don't even need flash.

e.g. I used to have a basic / small java script that would change the colours of the site ever time it was loaded. people thought I was updating it a lot..when in reality all it was , just a transparent logo , and inverted.. so the background acted as a mask , and the background colour was used as the foreground colour
2009/02/23 12:01:59
The Maillard Reaction
'
2009/02/23 14:43:14
garrigus
Yep, I would say that Dreamweaver is the best...

* Adobe Dreamweaver Web Development Software

and if you can afford it, getting Dreamweaver as part of the Design Suite is probably the very top-of-the-line:

* Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium

but there's also another pretty nice package out there that provides pre-designed site templates, etc...

* Namo WebEditor Professional

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
2009/02/23 16:06:34
inmazevo
If you KNOW html, stylesheets, etc:
http://www.eclipse.org/

It's free.
It's also more useful if you need server-side components than Dreamweaver out of the box. In fact, it's all we use at work.

That said, at home:
I use Adobe Web Premium CS 4

I had used Dreamweaver years ago (version 4 or so), and started using GoLive when I got Adobe CS1 Premium (GoLive was Adobe's web application before they purchased Macromedia and got DW).
However, I hated GoLive... and basically never used it... so once Adobe got DW, I upgraded, and must say I'm quite impressed with CS4... Photoshop, Fireworks, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign. It's a very nice set of apps.

And, I say this as one who absolutely HATES Adobe. Not impressed at all with the company. But the apps rock.

Cheapest alternative though:
An html book (xhtml).
A stylesheet book.
Eclipse.

- zevo
2009/02/24 15:21:54
cityrat
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/

very nice and easy to use - 30 day trial, register on line for $39 bucks.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account