2010/08/07 07:52:18
Chregg
A friend of mine has about 16 vintage synths (jupiter 8, moog so on) and i would realy love to take samples of the raw waveforms to make wavetables to be detuned and multi voiced for rapture, can any one shed any light as to how its done, obviously some sort of software application is needed
2010/08/07 08:42:01
b rock

obviously some sort of software application is needed
All you really need is some type of audio editor; preferably one that can select / zoom down to the individual sample level.    Audacity, Sound Forge, Adobe Audition; just to name a few examples.  If the resulting wavfile is less than 3000 samples in length, Rapture will automatically treat it as an oscillator.  (There's also a method in the .sfz format to create an oscillator out of any size wavfile.)

Here are two links to related topics in .pdf format.   Between the two topics, you'll get a clear idea of the process involved.

Wide Load - Stereo Wavetables in Rapture 1.1/LE {.pdf format @ 3.53 MB}

Purebred Wavetables {.pdf format @ 3.08 MB}

If you have z3ta+, it can be utilized as a wavetable processor:

Steal This Waveshape Part I

Steal This Waveshape Part II
2010/08/07 08:56:28
Chregg
Good man, cheers

2010/08/07 10:38:11
Chregg
b rock your the man, tried  it with a subtractor saw, ****ing works a treat, gonna go mad with making wavetables now, rapture has only got better ye ha (lol)
2010/08/07 11:52:32
Fog
you have muz3um I'm guessing also (free download)
http://www.patcharena.com...=1:news&Itemid=128

2010/08/07 12:24:43
Chregg
Yeah i've got muz3um, rubbing my hands thinking of the all possibilties with making your own wavetables, i'm glad i know this now, got the viral out break sound set might shorten some of the multisamples that came with that and osc them up, got re-fills with good samples in them (analog monsters set) think i'll unpack the refills for the samples and do the same there, it really opens alot of doors are far as programming goes, i love rapture all the more now i know this, cheers any way mate
2010/08/07 15:34:41
Fog
I asked / got permission to use eXode's stuff  , I should get on with it..but well life got in the way. sure you know his refill work

b-rock, was there a tutorial ever put out for the fi-sounds pack? I bought it ages ago, you just reminded me with your icon.
2010/08/07 16:35:26
Chregg
Yeah exodes **** is the buzz, downloaded just about all the free re-fills prom props site, i get the re-fills more to look at how they are constructed, tend to make my own, as far as taking 1 cycle as a wavetable, who's going to miss that (lol)
2010/08/08 08:15:44
b rock
shorten some of the multisamples that came with that and osc them up
Here's an easy method for creating oscillators from wavfiles much longer than 3000 samples.  Keep in mind that long sample conversion will add to the processing overhead, so trim the files down to the bare minimum.

--------------------------------
Open up a text editor (Notepad), and drop in the following line:

<region> sample=SAMPLE FILE NAME.wav oscillator=on

Substitute the proper file name for SAMPLE FILE NAME, and save it with an .sfz file extension.  Place both the SAMPLE FILE NAME.sfz and SAMPLE FILE NAME.wav files next to each other in Rapture's Multisamples folder.
--------------------------------

Now you have a single wavfile pulling double-duty.  The .wav alone will play back at recorded pitch on middle C / MIDI Note 60, as a "one-shot". It will be transposed, shortened or lengthened at other MIDI note locations.  The companion .sfz file will 'compress' the .wav characteristics into an oscillator.  This wavetable won't sound much like the original wavfile, but it will yield some very interesting results.

I happen to like the results derived from complex targets, such as an open hi-hat sample.  But any source is fair game.  It can be a loop, pure noise, vocals, etc.  The first page of that "Purebred Wavetables" document (linked above) pictures a series of 10 sine .wavs played in descending succession over 10 octaves.  When converted into an oscillator, it sounds like a cascading sweep of overtones / harmonics.
2010/08/08 09:44:06
Chregg
B rock i'll defo give that a bash, cheers mate
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account