2016/04/14 18:36:46
soens
OK, for some reason I dinint know my MOTU micro lite does not act as a midi router by it self. I am unable to connect one synth to another without using Sonar. MOTU decided to exclude it from using ClockWorks, which I find totally absurd as this is a fundamental purpose of a midi interface. Sure I can replace it with the Micro Express for $250, and I might. But I am equally baffled by the lack of 3rd party midi patchbay utilities.

Are there any that work on Windows 7 64bit?

Thanks.
2016/04/14 18:54:55
soens
I am trying a patchbay from Soundigy that seems to work OK and has a cool UI.

<rant>
If a simple and FREE utility like this can work, why in the world did MOTU not include it for $140?! This makes no sense to me from any standpoint.... Did I mention it was fReE??!?!
</rant>
2016/04/14 19:04:32
soens
Apparently with Soundigy if you try to map the ins & outs while any synths are connected it will crash.
Turn them all off 1st and it is fine. Not a good sign.
2016/04/14 19:10:55
rivers88
MIDI Ox
http://www.midiox.com/

Used it on Windows XP, 7, and now 8.1.

Great for MIDI routing, filtering, testing, etc., etc.
2016/04/14 19:23:05
tlw
LoopBe is a free and very good software MIDI patchbay/virtual cable. It provides a bunch of MIDI in and out ports that any application can access.
2016/04/15 04:58:50
soens
Thanks for the ideas. I actually tried MidiOx back in the day. It's ok for some things but for just routing outboard gear (which my midi interface should be able to do) Soundigy's approach is the closest thing to a real patchbay, obviously modeled after a real one (edirol), which makes the most sense to me. Why more programmers don't get this is why I loose so much sleep at night... that and the fact that I work nights.
2016/04/15 07:38:10
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
I'm using this thing here (BOME MIDI Translator) to do all sort of MIDI manipulation and re-routing after it leaves Sonar on the way out (trigger video software based on MIDI) and also on the way in before it hits Sonar (fix issues with the control surface by remapping some buttons) ... it's really powerful and I'm probably only using the bottom 10% of its functionality ... there is a free version and an inexpensive PRO version (which I use) ... might be worth to look into if you are a MIDI person
2016/04/15 13:10:00
rsinger
soens
OK, for some reason I dinint know my MOTU micro lite does not act as a midi router by it self. I am unable to connect one synth to another without using Sonar. MOTU decided to exclude it from using ClockWorks, which I find totally absurd as this is a fundamental purpose of a midi interface. 

I think you misunderstand ClockWorks. I have a MOTU midi express xt and ClockWorks is used to program the midi express xtClockWorks is not doing the routing, the routing is done inside the HW. Once I program the router/patchbay/if I don't need to have my DAW powered up.  
2016/04/17 18:27:11
soens
You are absolutely right about ClockWorks. BUT the micro lite & midi express 128 cannot use it, and there is no way to program, set, rout, or otherwise, the ins & outs of these 2 units without software. Soundigy software allows me to do this which means MOTU is purposely crippling these units for no reason. Thus my frustration.

From the manual:
☛ ClockWorks cannot be used with a micro lite or
Express 128 interface, as these devices do not support
MIDI processing or synchronization features.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account