• Software
  • Anderton is leaving apparently (p.5)
2017/10/19 17:59:06
cclarry
Mesh
I just can't imagine why Gibson would want to fire someone as valuable as Craig.....I would've thought he'd be on the priority list as a "keeper".

When you start cutting costs, the ones that are the "most expendable" are the first to go.
Granted, he contributed a great deal to the community, but he wasn't "instrumental" in
keeping the product line "functional".  So, most likely, they were looking at ways to reduce
their bottom line without affecting the product.  Just a thought
2017/10/19 18:31:07
Mesh
cclarry
Mesh
I just can't imagine why Gibson would want to fire someone as valuable as Craig.....I would've thought he'd be on the priority list as a "keeper".

When you start cutting costs, the ones that are the "most expendable" are the first to go.
Granted, he contributed a great deal to the community, but he wasn't "instrumental" in
keeping the product line "functional".  So, most likely, they were looking at ways to reduce

Good points there Lars....I was thinking being a valuable asset to the community = getting more people into Sonar = functional?
Then again, I know Bo Diddly about business and just hang out in the Deals Forum for no brainers.  
2017/10/19 22:33:16
Fleer
I know Bo.
Diddly's my middle name.
2017/10/19 23:26:13
BobF
Mesh

Unfortunately, there is a HUGE distinction between 'tangible' and 'intangible'.  Most of us admire and are grateful  to Craig for his 'intangible' contributions.  That's not to say that those contributions aren't valuable to us, just that the bean counters can't easily quantify those contributions in terms of $$ added to the bottom line.

I'm not sure how much of Craig's official responsibilities to Gibson had FA to do with Cakewalk either.

From OUR perspective as SONAR users, Craig's contributions are invaluable.  I'm not sure the same could be said from the perspective of a Gibson CEO.  We have no idea what the expectations were.

Personally, I figger Craig's  contributions to the SONAR community amounted to approx. 25% of my commitment to the product.  In practical terms, that means I'm 25% closer to bailing - depending on how much Craig continues to contribute to the SONAR community.

Considering that CS support is 25%, that's not insignificant.

Who knows what the future holds for SONAR specifically and Cakewalk in general.  I keep hanging on for some big surprise that pulls it all together, but I don't think the Momentum is there.  I guess we'll see.  Time answers all questions. 

Eventually.
2017/10/20 09:29:00
kennywtelejazz
Well put Bob

Kenny
2017/10/20 12:26:03
Mesh
Yes Bob, what Kenny said.

Looks like we're tangled up in this web between the tangible and intangible......

2017/10/20 16:46:50
KingsMix
kitekrazy1
KingsMix
He says in the "SONAR" forum thread, that he was fired.
Hmmmm.....this thing can go either way at this point.
I kind of smell a total overhaul coming to the SONAR brand and product. 
Hoping for the best.

Craig was a humongous contributor to the brand (SONAR) and the forum.

I didn't see that and I doubt it.

Funny.
It's there to be seen.
Oh, but you didn't see it, so it's not true, even though he wrote it.

2017/10/20 16:48:45
KingsMix
Grem
kitekrazy1
KingsMix
He says in the "SONAR" forum thread, that he was fired.
Hmmmm.....this thing can go either way at this point.
I kind of smell a total overhaul coming to the SONAR brand and product. 
Hoping for the best.

Craig was a humongous contributor to the brand (SONAR) and the forum.

I didn't see that and I doubt it.

Agreed.

Funny.
It's there to be seen.
Oh, but you "also" didn't see it, so it's not true, even though he wrote it.
2017/10/20 20:07:43
abacab
cclarry
Mesh

It was a shocker for sure!

But as Craig has mentioned a few times, he was a Gibson employee, not a Cakewalk employee.

Gibson has some work to do as a business to get out of a major debt hole that they are sinking into.  They are at risk of defaulting on their creditors.  So cost cutting is probably their only workable strategy in order to attempt to keep the business intact.
2017/10/20 23:11:51
cclarry
That's who I was speaking of...not Cakewalk, but, in 
his capacity at Gibson, who owns Cakewalk, he worked
primarily as a Cakewalk representative
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account