• Software
  • Synthmaster update - Wavetables added (p.2)
2017/10/22 15:13:25
AT
I haven't gotten a new synth in a while.  Probably have to spring for this one soon.
2017/10/22 15:25:59
TheMaartian
English = oskillators
Galactic Basic = tribbles
2017/10/22 15:30:44
TheMaartian
Time to take a serious look at Synthmaster.

I need to spend some time learning about wavetables. I bought Waves' Codex when it came out, but could never make much sense of it, and have since uninstalled it.

2017/10/22 17:27:38
bitflipper
Synthmaster goes on sale pretty frequently. Last July it was $61, and $85 to bundle it with Synthmaster One. A couple years ago I paid some crazy low price for it, like $20 or something. I wouldn't be surprised if there's something on tap for Black Friday.
2017/10/22 18:15:47
TheMaartian
With wavetable support being added to Synthmaster, is there any compelling reason to still buy the bundle with Synthmaster One?
2017/10/22 21:04:30
Jeff Evans
I have got both Synthmaster and Serum.  Right now they are both similar in a few areas but also they are apart in other ways in their sound.  Serum can sweep wave tables in a way and have a certain sound while doing it and I am not hearing that in Synthmaster.  As yet anyway.  If Serum wavetables can be read by Synthmaster  than that is also another fortunate outcome of owning both.  Serum has an incredible sounding sample transposing algorithm maintaining very high fidelity while doing it. It has 4 oscillators really and the noise oscillator can also be any imported waves too. 

Synthmaster One sounds a little different to me right now compared to Synthmaster and it is a worthwhile companion synth. It is not a cut down version of Synthmaster but a slightly different synth engine instead. I like it a lot. It is strong in more complex sounding ambient pads and things.

Serum is nice to edit and also has a rather colourful effects section.  I like having all three. One thing I found with Serum, is that it is deep and the more you learn about it the more impressive it becomes. Synthmaster is in that same league though. Groove 3 have some great training material on it too.

It still never ceases to amaze how good Synthmaster can also sound. It has a deep quality sound to it. I have got Synthmaster for iOS running on a docked iPad and it also sounds sensational coming from there too.  There are large X/Y pads on the iOS version and they are a blast to manipulate while you play the sounds. 

I don't think you need both Serum and Synthmaster, you can certainly create those types of sounds from either of those alone. But having both is nice and luxurious. Especially when you start layering both of them and then throwing Synthmaster One into the mix as well or another layer.  Things get interesting for me when you start doing stuff like stacking ambient patches.  I am also using the Brauer Motion plugin which adds a three dimensional movement effect to the sound placement.  Also some pretty amazing panning options come to mind especially on some of the individual layers within a total ambient patch. 
2017/10/22 21:45:39
abacab
SynthMaster 2.9 is still in alpha status, but Synthmaster One has wavetable support and is worth a look!  SM One can import Serum wavetables, and there are many freebies available!  SM 2.9 will have that capability as well. 

I tried out a new freeware wavetable editor called WaveEdit, and found that it is file compatible with SynthMaster One, as well as with Serum wavetables.
http://synthtech.com/waveedit/

Giddyup!!! 
2017/10/22 22:03:06
Jeff Evans
Can someone provide a link for the Audio-Term download without going to Facebook.  I have not found it yet.  If you own Serum you don't need Audio-Term either. Serum can import and create wavetables easily. But I am also curious as to what other things Audio-Term can do. 

2017/10/22 22:09:43
abacab
Audioterm looks DOS based and very difficult to navigate, based on the videos that I watched.  So never bothered with it. 

But recently downloaded WaveEdit (freeware) and it is a joy to work with!  Lots of potential!  Check out the 3 videos on their site!

I don't own Serum, but have downloaded hundreds of free wavetables for it and imported them in SM One.  They also open up in WaveEdit too!
2017/10/23 00:06:45
TheMaartian
Jeff Evans
Can someone provide a link for the Audio-Term download without going to Facebook.  I have not found it yet.  If you own Serum you don't need Audio-Term either. Serum can import and create wavetables easily. But I am also curious as to what other things Audio-Term can do. 

Latest version v2.27: http://dl.dropbox.com/s/1y0d88ts8zy1um7/Audio-Term.zip

The dev has a serious health issue and there may be no updates for the foreseeable future.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account