• Software
  • Compressors - I know is old topic, but..
2017/10/17 22:17:39
Joe_A
I've done searches in the forum and read other posts about compressors but I'm looking to purchase a compressor plug in and wanted to get some current feedback on compressors others are using successfully.

I saw bitflippers comment I think on the Voxengo Elephant? being a good compressor and the marketing looks good but i wanted to throw this out there, see what others have found works good with splat, too.

I'm on a great laptop, Windows 10, 64 bit, sonar user 10 plus years I bet. Wow that's a long time.
2017/10/17 22:27:00
highlandermak
I had a good thread not too long ago you can look at. http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3578849
2017/10/17 22:55:05
Joe_A
Super, thanks. I don't know exactly which type of compressor (emulator plug) to get; optical, valve,etc.

I've been reading up on and the first thing I know is how little I know. So trying to learn. I'm looking to get one that has the ability to bring up levels to where the waveform looks full and almost square at the top, but I don't think that's how I'll use it. I just want the ability to tinker with it that way if I want. There's a lot to learn to properly set one up but I've told myself I'm dedicating some time to do it.
I use compressors in the sonar package successfully but i want to add to my toolbar. I haven't bought a plug-in in a while.
2017/10/17 23:16:48
fitzj
The Sonitus is a great compressor and comes free with Cakewalk.
2017/10/18 00:03:38
Joe_A
I use Sonitus, it's a great compressor. 😊 I may be falling for some of the marketing from Waves or Voxengo now that I've decided to add to my tool box. Got some money set aside. My main concern is compatibility with Sonar. My system with laptop and Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen is rock steady and I don't want to upset the applecart.
2017/10/18 00:16:06
Joe_A
Thanks for the link! That came up in my searches too, lists a lot of good choices. Fabfilter Pro looks good. (Just so folks know I searched before posting 😊)

As an electronic engineer sometimes I over analyze to make sure things are going to work. But that's the way it goes sometimes!
I'm also looking at some spectrum analyzers.
Way back when I repaired amps and audio eqpt on the side I got used to seeing waveforms and still today get a lot of information from what I see.
This may be end up being a short thread but if anyone has favorites pls let me know. πŸ˜‰ also I should have started in the Software forum vs Sonar, thanks for moving.
2017/10/18 00:21:21
bitflipper
I've got a ton of dynamics processors, but the true truth is that I could get by with just the Sonitus Compressor if that was all I had. It's excellent.

But it sounds like you're just itchin' to get a new toy, so in that case place versatility at the top of your selection criteria. Find something you can go deep with and learn everything there is to know about it, and then you'll be able to apply it in any situation that arises.

Examples of compressors you can go deep with, meaning they are not specialized and instead have just about every feature you're likely to find on any compressor:

DMG Audio Compassion
FabFilter Pro-C
Blue Cat Audio Dynamics
Meldaproduction MDynamics
2017/10/18 00:29:29
Joe_A
Thanks! I am itching to get something new....it's a good thing I'm not looking at guitars my wife would give me a dirty look. I've got four, but there are different guitars for different sounds!
I think I'm getting hooked on the fabfilter and Meldaproduction products ...
2017/10/18 01:32:51
Fleer
Would recommend FabFilter Pro-C2 as it’s very musical but also very visual: you learn while you play. Also, if you want to use iLok, check out Slate FG-Stress, a quite versatile Distressor emu.
2017/10/18 13:56:32
bitflipper
Yup, collecting plugins is a whole lot cheaper than collecting guitars! 

Or synthesizers, or microphones, or girlfriends.
Β© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account