• Software
  • Well I just used software in a really stupid way
2017/10/16 02:48:12
Sycraft
Stupid in that is should be completely unnecessary and it is counter intuitive: I used my DAW to fix a video for my NLE. No, really.

So I'm preparing a slide deck for a talk I'm going to give and part of it is going to be a couple short video to better demonstrate things. They were simple video captures using OBS doing H264 encoding. No problem, the resulting MP4s played fine. I brought them home to cut them to size and trim them down in Sony Vegas, my NLE of choice...

No dice, Vegas won't open them. It shows only the audio, which is useless, no video. The system plays them fine, Vegas won't. So I'm thinking what can I do. I don't keep media conversion software on hand because, well, I have Vegas. I could go find some but that's a pain.

So I decide to see if Sonar can open them. I mean it isn't a video editor, but it can open video. Yep, opens fine. Have sonar reencode them to a slightly lower bitrate and what do you know? Now Vegas stops whining and opens them just fine.

I am just amused at the stupidity of having to use a DAW to fix video so it'll work in an NLE. Like, shouldn't that be the other way around, if anything?
2017/10/16 12:50:45
Mesh
Sonar is the gateway to all your audiovisual experiences?
2017/10/16 13:02:49
BassDaddy
Well put, Prof Mesh.
2017/10/17 12:30:55
jerrypettit
INTERESTING...

I've been disappointed with Vegas having trouble with codecs (downloaded YouTube videos for instance).  Sonar converts them better?  Hmmmm...
2017/10/17 12:30:55
jerrypettit
INTERESTING...

I've been disappointed with Vegas having trouble with codecs (downloaded YouTube videos for instance).  Sonar converts them better?  Hmmmm...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account