• Software
  • Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! (p.3)
2014/08/03 13:03:03
ShellstaX
Guys - to explain a little further - it goes something like this ...

Fulls, Incrementals and Differentials are part of your backup strategy.

Full - Backs up everything, takes longest, takes more space ... are the basis of any full restore.
(lets say you take a Full every Saturday).

Incremental - Only backs up files changed since the last backup (be it Full, Incremental or Differential), fastest, takes least space.
(let's say you take an Incremental every day from Sunday to Friday (instead of Differentials): S-I, M-I, T-I, W-I, T-I, F-I, S-F)
- quickest to restore in a partial restore (to recover files to a particular day of that week)
- slowest to restore in a full restore (as you have to restore the last Full and every Incremtental on top)

Differential - Seeks a middle ground as cumulative back ups of files changed since the last Full backup, mid-fast speed, low-mid space (getting larger as the week goes on).
(let's say you take a Differential every day from Sunday to Friday (instead of Incrementals): S-D, M-D, T-D, W-D, T-D, F-D, S-F)
- slightly slower to restore in a partial restore (to recover files to a particular day of that week)
- faster to restore in a full restore (because you only ever need 2 backups - the Full and the last differential (of the day you want to restore to)).

Or you could do a Full Saturday, Differential mid-week and Incrementals every other day: S-I, M-I, T-I, W-D, T-I, F-I, S-F

2014/08/03 17:50:13
JohnKenn
Shell,

Thanks also for your knowledge. The technology only slowly becoming clear to me with you guys' assistance. Trying out a forced incremental retrieval on a computer with AOMEI Pro. Computer can fry to dust and not be a loss if I forked something up beyond salvage.

Got to also learn my geography...  Cape Town tropical??  Can't laugh any more at the US geography high school students who said Russia was the capital of Alabama. Even more dismal for me since I lived in Africa long time since.

Water out here on the central Oregon coast also quite cold. The pull of the sea in Africa was so much that I had to swim in spite of the sharks and did so daily with a couple close calls. If I went out with another pale face, the natives gathered, couple hundred or so to wager bets on who would get eaten first. They chanted and cheered us on, which on the surface was undersatood as "Brave white men unafraid of the great white shark". Was helped with a translation of the chant which was something close to "Insane idiots with no respect for your own life"

Have been hanging out on a volcanic basalt cliff for a bunch of years over the ragged Pacific. View is incredible glorious, but have never been able to swim. Without a thermal wet suit, you have less than 10 minutes until you die, if the initial cold shock doesn't take you out sooner.

John

2015/07/01 04:07:06
davidrousseau
I'll complain, although this is an old issue, I paid for the pro version, and tried to do a backup. They disabled functionality saying it's installed on another computer. Emailed Friday and no word back. I installed some trial versions on another machine. I'm not buying their software anymore. I also have Acronis Premium, so Ease TODO is on my list of software companies I was honest enough to pay, but rip me off. Stay away from these guys
2015/07/02 17:00:51
JohnKenn
David,

I settled in with Acronis also. For general info to everyone, they do an online activation, but are prone to 3 computer activation sales around the holidays. Excellent investment and probably the best recovery bootable disc creation in the industry. (Note however that the trial boot disc is crippled as bad as Todo)

Have purged the Todo scam off all computers, but have retained one Todo freeware program that isn't spring loaded with death threats and still worth the download. That's their Partition Master program.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Note also that Acronis is now shipping with the companion Disc Director, which does everything Partition Master does and more. Glad they incorporated the program, and probably because they had to keep up with Todo on this front.

http://www.acronis.com/

John
2015/07/08 19:21:29
JohnKenn
Just ran into something to pass on. May be system specific, so who knows...

Tried to rename some partitions on an external hard drive with Acronis Disc Director.
Acronis did not recognize the drive. Todo did.

Observation before was that Acronis was getting into the game of disc and partition management, and the new product was a clone of Todo Partition Master. Trying to catch up (?)

Would never buy anything from Todo with their policies, but have leached the freeware Partition Master for years. Unfortunately, still seems to be the best. Beat out the Acronis contender.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

John

2015/07/08 19:36:34
cclarry
I use this and it has been flawless...

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

and free!  It has worked with every operating system and continues to 
do so...cloning, resizing, renaming..etc...and I've changed my system 3
times and it keeps right on ticking...
2015/07/08 19:54:05
JohnKenn
Hey thanks Larry,

AOMEI does quality programming by any standard Wasn't aware that they now have a partition manager. Downloading now.

John

edit...Can't spell AEOMI. AEROBIC, wharever it is
2015/07/08 20:13:26
cclarry
I'm thoroughly impressed with this program...

I owned both Easus and Todo...and both crapped out on me...

So I found this ...and it's been awesome...the best thing I've used
and easy peezy...I love it! ( its Win 10 compatible, but haven't used it 
on Win 10 yet, but I have run it and it runs just fine...just haven;t
done anything with it yet...so hopefully they continue their streak)
2015/07/09 10:17:31
kitekrazy1
I'm still using Acronis 2010. Still rock solid.
2017/10/10 03:21:40
michaelbrook
Good,I agree with your theory. The Easeus and Bitwar recovery are all free,We must like it.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account