• Software
  • Sooooo is there Life after Sonar?
2017/10/04 12:37:14
Mully
Greets folks,
curious for wise input here. Having come back to recording life after a decent absence (new small farm life meant new studio took time ) and upgrading finally this week to a beasty PC I had a shock to discover upgrading from X2 to Platinum has no 'long term user' pricing.
Ok, fine Gibson I get it but at $499USD I obviously need to weigh up the other growing options before reinstalling X2 on the shiny new pooter.
What have you fine people discovered as a viable alternative to Sonar? Would Harrison Mixbus be a disappointing change for example?
Thanks for any wise words.
Cheers.
2017/10/04 12:47:55
cclarry
If you are doing extensive recording and mixing, with great numbers of tracks,
Mixbus wouldn't be the way.  If you are staying under 64 tracks
and not looking for "extensive capability", then Mixbus is viable alternative.
If you're doing personal work only, then Reaper, at $60, is steal.  For commercial
use it's $225 I think...

There are LOTS of viable DAWS.  The REAL question is "how much do I need"?

Sonar is the MOST bang for your buck, IMO.  Not only the DAW, but ALL of the other
things that you get with it.

DAW's are highly subjective.  You need to do TRIALS, and find out what's right for YOU!
2017/10/04 13:03:45
Mully
Thanks mate. Just looking at reviews now and Harrison does look good...might try the demo and also Reaper too.
My needs are rarely near 64tracks so your comments make sense.
Might have a 700C & 700R up for sale soon
Thanks for taking the time to comment.
2017/10/04 13:20:57
cclarry
Mully
Thanks mate. Just looking at reviews now and Harrison does look good...might try the demo and also Reaper too.
My needs are rarely near 64tracks so your comments make sense.
Might have a 700C & 700R up for sale soon
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Personally, I love the Mixbus sound.  There seems to be "more there" IMO.
Not that it can't be achieved with others...but it's just "there" with Mixbus.

Many do Tracking in Sonar, and then mixing in Mixbus, by exporting the stems,
for the sound.
2017/10/04 14:21:03
Mesh
Another possibility might be to upgrade to Sonar Professional? They just finished a 50% off upgrade price on Sept. 30th, but I'm sure they'll have more sales coming up....shoot an email to Cakewalk sales and see what they can do. 
2017/10/04 14:32:27
bapu
Assuming $499 is too steep:

If I were starting out on a budget I'd get Reaper.

If I were to do 95% audio and some simple MIDI tracks (i.e. use the stereo out of say a drum VSTi) I'd consider Mixbus 32C.

The Mixbus method to do multiple audio outs on a VSTi exists but it is so darned convoluted compared to SONAR's ez-breezy dialog box it will make your head spin.

That said, I love Mixbus 32C as a mix environment and so I export audio stems from SONAR and Mix in Mixbus 32C.

2017/10/04 14:51:46
Marshall
I went from X2 to Platinum in one leap and although the latter is light years ahead of X2, a consideration should be the learning curve. If you do make that investment and stick with Sonar, a hell of a lot will be familiar, despite all the improvements.

Starting over with Reaper or whatever will involve a significant amount of time and doubtless frustration getting to know new software. You might relish this and fancy a fresh start, but it will mean less time for music making.

Sonar Platinum is truly excellent in my opinion.
2017/10/04 15:18:46
KingsMix
Mully
Greets folks,
curious for wise input here. Having come back to recording life after a decent absence (new small farm life meant new studio took time ) and upgrading finally this week to a beasty PC I had a shock to discover upgrading from X2 to Platinum has no 'long term user' pricing.
Ok, fine Gibson I get it but at $499USD I obviously need to weigh up the other growing options before reinstalling X2 on the shiny new pooter.
What have you fine people discovered as a viable alternative to Sonar? Would Harrison Mixbus be a disappointing change for example?
Thanks for any wise words.
Cheers.

Harrison is a different animal...it depends on what you're looking to do.
Vsti's ,Midi, Vst effects and included choice of fx selections ect, that would be included or viable in a "recording" situation is questionable in my opinion when talking about Harrison "MixBus" (Mixing).
Sonar is a great product, but looking at your specific question and answering that one directly (What have you fine people discovered as a viable alternative to Sonar?), my suggestion would be to take a look at the Studio One 3 Crossgrade deals, if it's a matter of not dropping the $499 on Sonar.
With that being said, we are in a time now when most DAW software can be demoed for a limited time and or with limited function, but enough to give you an idea of what might or might not work for you. It really boils down to workflow and personal choice. Imho
2017/10/04 15:22:21
KingsMix
Just looked at Larrys response, guess I said something similar in a different way.
2017/10/04 15:47:04
mettelus
cclarry

There are LOTS of viable DAWS.  The REAL question is "how much do I need"?

DAW's are highly subjective.  You need to do TRIALS, and find out what's right for YOU!

+1 to both counts. If you are getting back into recording after a hiatus, X2 would be a decent start to see how much you intend to use it, then go from there. Much of the content of X2 will translate, but one big missing piece is VST3 support (which began with X3). After you get up and running, you can expand out easily (either with an upgrade or new DAW) and better target what you intend to do, since different DAWs often target different things.

The TRIAL/DEMO advice is golden. Do not jump into any purchase without this, since some GUIs just won't click for you, and it is better to know that before buying. Reaper is good to try (the trial is indefinite and fully functional, and to own it is the least expensive). Studio One Prime is free, but very limited, and there is a standing crossgrade from a qualifying DAW to Studio One Professional (X2 is the oldest version which qualifies); that is $299 but went on sale last Christmas for $199 without any qualification required.

SONAR has gone through a lot of upgrades since X2 (night versus day); but as you noted already, the upgrade/maintenance costs are pretty steep, although sales do/should occur.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account