2006/05/20 14:06:35
DonM
I've searched the forum a few times today looking for a thread to advise me how to change the attack of a Dimension instrument. I specifically want to change the bowing of a string attack to be a bit slower - it kind of rushes in - I apologize in advance for asking what seems to be a simple question - but my searches were not fruitful - thanks in advance.

-D
2006/05/20 14:40:13
lfm
I guess you have discovered that strings usually has the modulation wheel for changing attack. But from what I remember activating the wheel makes attack shorter, so I guess you are looking for the other way around.

So there are two way to go:

a) Change the default start offset i modulation matrix
b) Change the attack time of amplitude

Anyway, mark the element(or one at a time) that you want to change. Usually the Amp button on bottom right is selected by default meaning amplifier. Let the mouse hoover above the second dot from the left showing you the time of attack. Just drag and move to the left or right as needed and you are done.

(don't forget to save program later(maybe as another name)
2006/05/20 15:03:34
René
Here's a picture of how to create a typical ADSR envelope in Dimension Pro:

Attack: In a standard ADSR envelope, there's no 'Attack Level' but 'Attack Time'. Therefore, the second node must remain at maximum level. Dragging it left/right you adjust the attack time, the value is displayed in the readout.

Decay/Sustain: The third node defines simultaneously the Decay Time (by moving it left/right) and the Sustain Level (moving it up/down). The place where the orange line falls is the level the EG will keep until you release the key, once it's reached.

Release: The fourth node needs to go down to minimum, as the Release in a standard ADSR controls the Release Time (not Release Level). Moving the node left/right will determinate the type of Release. I have used Natural Release (blue line) here, due most ADSR have exponential release.

-René
2006/05/20 16:45:51
DonM
You guys are awesome. Rene - the graphic is pristine my compliments - now to my workstation... Thanks.

Rene - a follow up question - I notice in your screen capture, the EG status says 'off' - should that be or not?

-D
2006/05/20 17:17:41
DonM
Darn! Still can't get the strings (Cello long bows.sfz) to behave the whole notes I am playing have a definate cut off between the notes even though I've added a rising attack and tried several diffeent times!

-D
2006/05/20 17:37:47
René
Well, playing or sequencing strings on sample-playback machines isn't trivial. I think you need to determine if you need to adjust your attack or release.
Check this snippet, I created it using cellos long bows:

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/CellosLongBows.mp3

Here's the program (Dimension Pro), uses a very naive EG construction, just attack and release.

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/CellosLongBows.prog

You need to play carefully the note transitions (more than I did actually), or adjust them in the sequence to overlap a bit. You can try using the lengthen command in SONAR for that, or do it manually.

-René

2006/05/20 18:37:46
DonM
Rene:
Got It! You rock! I have the control and sound that I needed - thanks a ton! It was the release not the attack!

-D
2006/05/21 04:21:47
lfm

ORIGINAL: DonM

Rene:
Got It! You rock! I have the control and sound that I needed - thanks a ton! It was the release not the attack!

-D

You can very well use the sustain pedal to let notes blend a bit. You might need to practice a bit, but that is a way to go also.
2006/05/21 07:40:55
DonM
IFM:
The transitions between notes did not sound natural with the sustain pedal. Humbly - I'm a good keyboard player - just new to the DimPro ADSR. Thanks for the suggestion.

-D
2006/09/11 12:05:07
hypolydien
I am a dimension newby and I am having some problems with the ADSR, so I am resurecting this thread.

I can't seem to be able to work the release time in my ADSR envelope(amplitude envelope).

Basically, whatever I do with my last node, the notes I play always stop as soon as I lift the finger from my keyboard.

I have never had problems setting ADSRs before with other synths, and strangely the first nodes in my envelopes do have an effect. I manage to edit the attack the decay/sustain but not the release.

Is there something I am not getting?

Thanks,

Jean
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account