2018/01/18 13:25:22
Mesh
I'm guessing this 2+ year old thread was revived by a spammer......but, I could be wrong.
2018/01/18 14:35:04
Jim Roseberry
Some old threads resurrected today...   

The problem with laptops is the performance throttling that's done to keep heat in check (due to extremely tight space enclosures).  This is the reason why "mobile" processors exist.
ie: For DAW purposes, the 7700K is a much better performer than the 7700HQ.

Working at ultra low audio latency is "where the wheels fall off" with most laptops.
If working at ASIO buffer sizes smaller than 256 samples is the end goal (especially running heavy loads), you're not going to do that reliably with an inexpensive laptop. 

If the goal is to run heavy loads at a 64-sample ASIO buffer size or smaller, your choices are extremely limited.
These laptops are running desktop CPUs (not mobile)... and they're the closest you'll get to desktop level performance in a laptop.  The downside; they're $2000+, large/heavy, and battery charge doesn't last long.

A personal example:
I want to use Ableton Live on stage (to trigger audio bits, host soft-synths, allow playing to click-tracks, etc)... and to be able to immediately/seamlessly switch between songs.  
Live offers some amazing features for this purpose.
I want to be able to trigger audio/samples and virtual-instruments at ASIO buffer size of 64-samples (or lower) so the timing/feel is extremely tight.  This is the back-breaker.
Even a well equipped laptop (7700HQ, 16GB RAM, dedicated M.2 Ultra SSD for audio/samples) will struggle.
My solution was to build a small mini-ITX Cube... using a 21" multi-touch monitor.
The guys in the band looked at the Cube last gig... asked what it was... and thought I was crazy.  
It's more cartage than a laptop, but the performance is liberating.
At a 48-sample ASIO buffer size (RME Fireface UFX), I can load The Grandeur into Kontakt, step on the sustain pedal, and gliss up/down the keyboard like a mad-man... and there are *zero* glitches/hiccups.
If a machine can handle that type of performance stress... it's not going to ever glitch under normal (even extreme) performance conditions.

Side Note:
Even though The Grandeur may not be the ultimate piano sample library, it's just plain enjoyable to play with such tight/responsive timing.

If you aren't aware of what Ableton Live can do (in live performance), watch some YouTube videos where guys are immediately/seamlessly switching between advanced sample-libraries and instruments, using Scenes to automate ALL switching (super simple to execute complex changes), using Scenes to automatically switch tempo for each song (making it practical to setup/use click-tracks), etc.  The possibilities are amazing...

2018/01/18 19:45:29
Starise
Here's a link to nicely spec'd lappy. This is the one I bought.
OMEN

2018/01/20 21:21:14
rocadani
     HP Spectre 360 2 in 1 16 GB 512 SSD may not work out as well as I hoped. It features a 1.9 ghz - 4 ghz "turbo" which backs off when the fan speed increases. Okay as long as running around (edit) 12 latency at 44.1 ghz sample rate 256 ghz buffer size, been trying to get by with around (edit) 6 latency 44.1 ghz / 128 and get an occasional warning for cpu overload when the fan turns up.
    So far just running small project to learn Cubase, not sure how well it will handle additional tracks and plugs. I may have to employ CPU saving techniques to get by with this laptop, wouldn't recommend it for DAW at this point.

For what it's worth, Ron
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account