• Computers
  • Apple: It's Good If You Like C**P
2017/10/21 00:55:51
TheMaartian
This video from Rick Beato (very good YT channel; lots of good info on using modes) shares his feelings about Apple, past and present. And he never even mentions OS-X. Kind of supports the Bakers decision to stick to Windows.

2017/10/21 03:19:41
Cactus Music
That was funny and way to true! 
I've a few friends who a few years ago decided to buy Apple laptops,,, they all now have regular PC laptops again,,, all of them. 
I don't mind the iPads as long as some one gives it to me...
2017/10/21 11:25:01
chuckebaby
Saw this a couple months ago when he released it.
I used to be subscribed to him but I was getting a lot of emails of his Live shows. not interested.

Anyway, He is right. Cant stand iTunes. its one of my biggest gripes.
2017/10/21 11:43:24
pwalpwal

2017/10/21 15:52:11
fret_man
Apple used to be the underdog, the cool alternative. They have now become THE MAN.
2017/10/21 17:18:03
fireberd
I have never been an Apple PC "fanboy".  I never liked the original closed system where everything had to be purchased from Apple, even a printer.  They have since opened up some of the hardware and peripherals but I still don't like paying 3 to 4 times as much for a PC over a Windows PC.  

Having said that, I have an iPhone 6 Plus.  I had several Android phones, including a Samsung, and they were all junk and never worked right.  I had to remove the battery from the Samsung at least once a week and sometimes more to get it to work (my son had a later model Samsung and it was the same way).  I wanted an app that was only available on the iPhone so I dumped Android's.  The iPhones may not be as flashy but "they work".   
2017/10/21 17:23:45
kitekrazy1
 The same thing happens when MS tries to be a hardware company.  To me this video represents the regression of development that is happening. I made a rant about NI's Native Access.  More PC games are not optimized and needing "boutique hardware".  They have somehow managed to make flawed console games.
  So far this level of incompetence hasn't reached to high proportions in the DAW industry.

If iTunes only sold music it would have been deceased by now. I still use Winamp 2. The new MS media player just looks annoying.  The nice thing about a MS OS is they still provide their legacy apps. If I were a Mac user all of my M-Audio interfaces would be doorstops.
2017/10/21 21:39:07
Jeff Evans
We are seeing a slight anti Apple response here.  In defence.  It is a nice computer and they do work rather well too. I have an alternative  fast quad core iMac setup here with Studio One using the Mac software version of my main DAW program. It all works very well indeed.  In some ways the OS is very simple and uncluttered.  Installing programs and plugins is a breeze.

When you boot up there are basically no processes running the background.  Studio One feels fast responsive and solid on the Mac. Thunderbolt works very well in a Mac situation so if you are lucky enough to connect a really nice sounding thunderbolt interface to your Mac then you will be instantly greeted with a stellar sound. There are functions that only the Mac can do audio wise too.  Such as in Studio One, only on the Mac version can you use multiple audio interfaces at once and set them any way for input and output configurations.  Not only that but alter the buffer sizes on the input and output buffers separately.  High on the playback side for no dropouts but low for fast input response to a virtual instrument.

Their iPhone also is a quality device. iOS is great and I love the way it translates perfectly over to the iPad. These devices all work seamlessly and perfectly together.  I have an iPad docked into a special audio dock and it sounds amazing and works flawlessly. There are some incredible new synths out such as PPG Infinite that only run on iOS.  So the iPad comes in real handy in this mode.  It also works being the only device logged on live while all the others in my studio can be safely off line. 

Logic on the Mac is also a great program and so is Garage Band. That is well designed and great for getting into Music Technology.

Sierra is about to take a jump into High Sierra and there are some initial concerns with software and hardware actually working with it initially.  There will be a rocky period right at the start.  I agree about noticing how much control they have and they often upgrade this and that then suddenly things don't work anymore.  They are wanting you to go out and upgrade into newer devices and later OS systems and sometimes it is hard just keeping up with it all.  Apple is not so great in terms of backward compatibility. 

I did not like the Apple OS at first either and found it clunky and uncomfortable. I felt much more at home on Windows. As I have also been a Windows user for a long time. But after a while the Apple OS sort of makes sense and the penny drops a bit and then it seems fast and elegant in many areas and then Windows starts to feel clunky and uncomfortable. 

2017/10/21 21:58:36
Rain
Switched to Mac+Logic 7 years ago and never looked back. In those 7 years, I have experienced virtually ZERO downtime due to troubleshooting. In fact, the only troubleshooting I had to do was related to third party plug-ins.

When the time came to replace my DAW in 2015, I spent maybe an hour online checking my options, went to the Apple store the next day and a couple of hours later, I was all up and running. All I had to do was power on the computer, sign into my account, download and install Logic... 

I haven't spent a second thinking about computer stuff since. I just power up the Mac and make music. 

And that is the whole point to me. In my 10 years working with PCs, I've learned way more than I initially intended to when I bought my first computer. I only wanted to make music - a couple of years later, I was messing with the BIOS, chasing IRQ conflicts, rolling back drivers, shopping for parts and keeping up to date with the latest technology... This was supposed to be about making music - and that is what Apple gave back to me.

FWIW, I still own and work with PCs. They've certainly gotten way better than they were, thanks in large part to basically becoming more and more Apple-like.

I also own a LG Android phone. It's pretty much garbage. I've had it for two years now and it is on its last leg, buggy as heck, over-heating, and exhibiting all kinds of odd behaviors. 

The old iPhone I bought in 2009 still works. So does the old iPhone 5 that I use mostly as a MP3 player but sometimes to take pics or check out my mail.

As much as I hate what Tim Cooks is doing with Apple (and I really, really do), to me, it still beats the alternative.
2017/10/21 23:00:25
chuckebaby
I think to be fair, the video was focusing on portable MAC set ups. like iphones, ipads, exc..
When it comes to MAC DAW's. I would much prefer a MAC to a PC. Logic pro is amazing. they are just very expensive.
Though I have used a PC for many years now and I cant say I have experienced any downtime due to PC issues.
Not even a bad hard drive, RAM or PSU. Sure I have probably been lucky but I found as long as you keep up on maintenance and hardware, once you know its getting old/outdated.

Once the DAW is open though, is there really much of a difference ? 
Im not making a statement, im actually asking a question. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account