• Computers
  • Apple: It's Good If You Like C**P (p.10)
2017/11/23 02:11:02
Fleer
And all of my five M-Audio controllers work fine with my Macs. Eat that!
2017/11/23 02:17:52
kitekrazy1
Fleer
And all of my five M-Audio controllers work fine with my Macs. Eat that!

LOL! My original Oxygen 8 won't.  I doubt the earlier Axions wont either. They will if you skip the USB port.
2017/11/23 02:22:06
Fleer
Think I'm just lucky that my Oxygen is the wireless one and my Axioms are all Mk2 ...
2017/11/23 02:34:01
kitekrazy1
Fleer
Think I'm just lucky that my Oxygen is the wireless one and my Axioms are all Mk2 ...

The original Oxygen 8 is recognized by Reason as Oxygen 8 instead the legacy controller in other DAWs. I tried to trade it in at a Guitar Center and wasn't recognized by a Mac.  I decided to keep it cause it works fine.
2017/11/23 03:37:56
Rain
Despite how sad the recent news makes me, I can't help but find a certain irony in seeing so many people advocating a solution that's essentially very similar to an approach that's common among Mac users.

Indeed, many seem to be considering not upgrading their machine because Sonar works fine and will continue to work and because their current configuration is absolutely adequate. The main difference being that, unlike the Mac user who has the option of upgrading at any time, Sonar users just do not have that luxury.

For what it's worth, I've had the opportunity to work on Sonar 8.5 under XP last weekend. Worked like a charm. I actually preferred it to the glimpse I have had of Sonar X when Cakewalk finally made the Mac prototype available.
2017/11/23 15:28:52
kennywtelejazz
abacab
kennywtelejazz
Considering the recent News about Gibson dropping Cakewalk .

I'm glad I have a Mac that I love using for music production

Kenny

Plus you still have that cool Tracktion Waveform thingy, and all those other DAWs that you dabble around with. 

I may have to think of you as the biggest prepper around these parts, cuz you are better prepared for the end of days than most of us! 

Hi abacab,

I guess you busted me  ,

I have  14 out of the top 20 DAW's that show up in the polls from that online music site that always does DAW polls ...
So Yes,  I guess I'm a combination of a DAW whore , a plugin addict and a prepper

Sheesh even when my dog Duke howls my name he calls me Jack sometimes because I'm a Jack of all these DAW's and a master on none . .... that's how it feels someday s
Yeah man Tracktion Waveform 8 w all the Air stuff is freaking awesome  ..Super potent combo for very little money.
Same goes for Reaper and Mixcraft 8 pro w those plugs ...
have a good one

Kenny

2017/11/23 16:17:14
kennywtelejazz
kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz
kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz
Considering the recent News about Gibson dropping Cakewalk .

I'm glad I have a Mac that I love using for music production

Kenny

I'm glad I have a PC since it still supports all of my M-Audio legacy gear.

touche !
I see you are getting a few zings in there .......huh ?
it is common knowledge I use what ever I can get my grimy paws on when it comes to music production 
Believe it or not , I was very much like batsbrew in one very important regard ...I ran SONAR 6 PE under XP right up until a little over 3 years ago . I was very happy ,  my XP machine still has a Delta 1010lt and a Audiophile 192 in it for my sound cards  .
I still have that setup it never saw the net except for DAW software updates and it out lasted 4 other PC's that served double duty ...DAW & internet
I don't hate PC , I'm not a Mac fanboy ....I just love the idea that all this BS that's going on has absolutely no effect on neither on my Mac rigs 

all the best,

Kenny

I could resit the pot calling the kettle black.  I didn't see how the two relate.  I made it a point that Microsoft makes a great effort to support legacy devices where this is not the case with Apple.
 Mac don't fit my budget since I could easily upgrade 3 machines for the price of their "desktop" models.

Well if your a windows guy only , I don't expect that you would know how they relate
Anyway , I happen to like you so I will choose not to argue with you ...
FWIW I have the opposite thing on my Mac side of things .
I can run most of my dual platform software and I still prefer using the DAW's  over on the Mac side ...
A couple of recent DAW software updates have raised the bar as to which version of OSX is considered the bare min spec ...I'm still good to go w Reaper , Mixbus 4 , Abelton Live 9 , Transcribe , BIAB, Midi Guitar, all my IK stuff ,and a bunch of others ...Logic pro I can only stay at 9 , same w MainStage 2 ...no MS3 , Logic X or Tracktion Waveform 8 for me ...T 7 is fine over there for now so it's all good ....
I don't want to leave the versions of OSX  I'm running and I'm OK w it ...
As far as hardware goes all my usb stuff works ....(Focusrite & Apogee )....none of my Macs have PCI ..so I may pick up and older Mac Pro someday and throw the M Audio cards in it ...all this is not really a concern for me ...
BTW I don't have Thunder bolt or any thing from that era ...yet everything I have works flawlessly ...considering what I have into these Macs I feel I'm doing OK ...
As far as Macs being all that expensive goes Yeah sure I feel that pain myself ...the thing is I have been looking to buy a new computer for a while and after pricing both Mac and PC it is not as big a price difference as some people make it out to be ...yeah OK sure if you want to build your own you can build a super nice win machine or have one built for what a MackBook costs ...I don't want to build my own and I want to break free from windows...
I don't need a Mac Pro when a 15 inch MacBook Pro or a middle of the road i Mac would do just perfectly fine for me needs ...even an Apple refurbish may work in my case ....and yes I would put Apple care on it  if I went newer.

I was gifted my i Mac and I paid $120. for my MackBook ..so let me put it this way ...if I could find a used Mac that wasn't beat to $hit I would not hesitate to go there as long as it passed Apple diagnostics
SONAR is now considered dead (for a while until it rises out of the ashes ) ...I don't have to stay on a PC ...
Yeah I love some of my PC only software such as Samplitude Pro X 2 and a few others ...but hey I still much prefer to run software over hard ware first ...the thing is I always try to run software that is dual OS ...both PC and OSX

all the best,

Kenny
2017/11/23 23:23:37
tlw
kennywtelejazz
...even an Apple refurbish may work in my case

I’ve a 15.3” mid 2014 i7 Retina MacBook Pro I got around Easter 2015 as an Apple refurb. Came in “as new” packaging with “as new” warranty and Applecare availability and it looked immaculate. Not a mark on it.

Keeping an eye on Apple’s refurb offers is a good idea if you’re in the market for a new Mac anything. The money saved compared to brand new isn’t that much, but it all helps.
2017/11/24 03:14:52
abacab
kennywtelejazz

Hi abacab,

I guess you busted me  ,

I have  14 out of the top 20 DAW's that show up in the polls from that online music site that always does DAW polls ...
So Yes,  I guess I'm a combination of a DAW whore , a plugin addict and a prepper

Sheesh even when my dog Duke howls my name he calls me Jack sometimes because I'm a Jack of all these DAW's and a master on none . .... that's how it feels someday s

Duke knows his s h i t !!!

Yeah man Tracktion Waveform 8 w all the Air stuff is freaking awesome  ..Super potent combo for very little money.

I'm even happier now that I pulled the trigger on Tracktion this year!

In hindsight, I believe I saw the writing on the wall when Cakewalk tried, and failed, with their Sonar cross-platform attempt with the Mac version.  I believe that is a prerequisite for a successful audio application today. 

The collaboration aspect is key, as well as the mind-share of the creative users on both platforms.  I personally will only buy cross-platform software going forward. 

At the same time I will ensure that I always have a Windows OS installed somewhere that can run Platinum, and Project 5 for many more years to come. 
2017/11/24 10:24:36
kennywtelejazz
tlw
kennywtelejazz
...even an Apple refurbish may work in my case

I’ve a 15.3” mid 2014 i7 Retina MacBook Pro I got around Easter 2015 as an Apple refurb. Came in “as new” packaging with “as new” warranty and Applecare availability and it looked immaculate. Not a mark on it.

Keeping an eye on Apple’s refurb offers is a good idea if you’re in the market for a new Mac anything. The money saved compared to brand new isn’t that much, but it all helps.

Hi tlw ,

I would love to get a 15 MackBook Pro from that era .
Right now I could probably swing a refub MacBook Pro  13 or a refurb i Mac  w Apple Care .
Now with all that has happened here regarding Cakewalk I have to step back and really consider what I want to do .... Yeah  .... When it Rains it pours
all the best......

abacab
kennywtelejazz

Hi abacab,

I guess you busted me  ,

Duke knows his s h i t !!!

I'm even happier now that I pulled the trigger on Tracktion this year!

In hindsight, I believe I saw the writing on the wall when Cakewalk tried, and failed, with their Sonar cross-platform attempt with the Mac version.  I believe that is a prerequisite for a successful audio application today. 

The collaboration aspect is key, as well as the mind-share of the creative users on both platforms.  I personally will only buy cross-platform software going forward. 

At the same time I will ensure that I always have a Windows OS installed somewhere that can run Platinum, and Project 5 for many more years to come. 

+1 abacab !
I love Tracktion Waveform 8
I'm still learning my way around it . I find it totally enjoyable to use and I have used it for a number of my recent songs postings ..
Interestingly enough I would start out a song in SPlat and keep it there for the early stages ..
Depending on what worked out best within Splat,  I would then export all my individual tracks , create a Waveform  project out of my SONAR exports and then bring that Waveform project over from Windows as a self contained Waveform project over to my i Mac ...once I had it over there I would then create a working stereo mix of my tune for Logic .
The nice thing about doing that was Logic does come with some very good sounding instruments and plugs ...
In my mind it was the best of both worlds I would lay down new parts using Logic because all the cool stuff that Logic comes with is locked down to the Logic DAW ...then when I had the sounds and layers I wanted I would take all the individual tracks one at a time and add them to my Waveform Project
All that may seem like a lot of work , in truth it wasn't....because I would have a fully working DUAL OS version of my Waveform project .....Mac or PC it longer mattered once it was a Waveform Project w assets  ...
Then I would bring my Tracktion project back over to Windows and work some more ...you know mix , and do a social media mastering thing for my tune ....
I happen to love object orienting style editing and mixing . Tracktion and Waveform  is so underrated when it comes to that work flow ...it is super fast to get very good results  it is much faster and easier to work that way than Samplitude is...

Anyway , I had no idea about Cakewalks possible future problems when I got Tracktion and Waveform ...
That type of thing was the furthest from my mind ...I like to keep my mind occupied w learning and music so I thought Waveform may turn out to be a fun Playground to create music in ...so far it seems to be a good fit 
I'm also very happy that I was able to go from free to the whole top of the line version over the course of a year. my wallet was certainly happy that I didn't have to place it in the ICU under Life Support 

I'm not anti Win ...I have a whole bunch of DAW programs that are tied to Windows only ....
It's all Sort of like a time capsule in the regard of having upgraded various versions of SONY , Cakewalk , Magix
BIAB  and a bunch of other software Jazz over the years ...it's all good man ...
I still run P 5 VIVA P 5 you can take that out of my cold dead grimy Paws

all the best to you ,

Kenny

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account