• Computers
  • Apple: It's Good If You Like C**P (p.4)
2017/10/26 12:34:28
Jim Roseberry
Updated my iPhone to iOS 11.03 last night.
Update finished... and I was asked to enter my iCloud password.
I entered the correct password... and was told to go to one of my other devices to "approve" my iPhone. ?!?!
Maybe I'm old, but that's a PITA. 
So I go get my iPad Pro, no... the approval code isn't on that one. 
I get my wife's iPad, no... the approval code isn't on that one either. 
I go to grab our third (oldest) iPad... and the battery is essentially dead.
Now, I'm getting annoyed.
I entered the correct iCloud password, let me use my **** phone.  
A microcosmic example of why I'm not an Apple fan
2017/10/26 12:46:00
fireberd
I've updated my iPhone 6 Plus to the latest iOS version.  It didn't ask me about the "two step" identification.  I "think" the two step identification is optional.  I've had to do that for my Microsoft account at one time and also my Verizon account (but neither with the latest iOS update).

I don't have to worry about that on my old iPad as iOS9 is the last one that its compatible with (or that Apple will support on that model).
2017/10/26 13:24:49
Jim Roseberry
I don't use Microsoft Account for my PCs (prefer some autonomy from MS).

Yeah, the 32Bit iPads are going the way of dinosaurs.
My (oldest) iPad-2 is used live to trigger bits of audio.
Going to have to replace it in the near future...
2017/10/28 07:02:40
Rain
I think the whole point is, whatever works for you. But a statement such as Apple (or Microsoft) is crap is bound to get some reaction, because the statement itself is crap and begs to be refuted.

Proof's in the pudding.

Whether you visit Abbey Road, Avatar or any other major studio, all you'll see is Apple. You would think that they would have ditched them by now if they were crap, especially since Pro Tools works great on PC.

Likewise, tons of people prove every day that a PC can work just as well.

The only difference is that you have a gazillion options, and some or even many of those options are fairly inadequate. When people say that PC's are as good or better, there's a few pages worth of fine prints attached to their statement. It's not just any Dell or HP off the shelf...

In fact, most PC's are implicitly excluded. They're usually talking about some very specific models or then hot rods of some kind. So either you can put that hot rod together yourself or you know someone who can do it for you.

With that in mind, there is no point in pretending that Apple is perfect. I for one am really NOT looking forward to my next Apple computer upgrade. And I'm enjoying working with PC's again.

2017/10/28 10:42:49
pwalpwal
fwiw, i own and use an ipad air, but i do think apple are too proprietary, with a forced upgrade cycle often requiring new hardware, and the os is too dumbed down for my liking, and they're too expensive
2017/10/28 11:34:19
kennywtelejazz
pwalpwal
fwiw, i own and use an ipad air, but i do think apple are too proprietary, with a forced upgrade cycle often requiring new hardware, and the os is too dumbed down for my liking, and they're too expensive

Of course I feel what you are saying ...it's valid and the emotional feeling is certainly justified .
FWIW, what you have brought up  may be the crux of much of the Apple hate ....

On the other side of the coin both of my Mac's are no longer supported as far as being able to bump up my version of OSX goes .. I'm still able to run excellent pre thunderbolt audio interfaces ..
My OS does not allow me to run Logic X yet I have Logic 9 and many of the cross platform DAW's I have for Mac and PC .
All of them seem to run fantastic so far as long as I stay in my lane

Now it is very possible that I am the only person that feels this way

Both my Mac's may be stuck in a Time Machine type of setting as far as not being up gradable .The thing is the Mac hardware I'm running plus the software I'm running has played a part in being a creative element for many of the Hit and Grammy Award Winning Records from the Era of when my  Macs were new Of course there was much more skilled people doing those records using this Mac Era hardware , so in my book  that is still fact worth noting .

just  a thought , that is a bird already in the hand as opposed to a sweeter looking bird in the bush ...

all the best,

Kenny
2017/10/28 13:25:57
fireberd
A Rant.
With a MAC (or an iXXX) its basically a "closed" system and there are not the 10's of thousands of possible hardware configurations for a Windows PC.  Apple controls their hardware and software.  There are third party software apps but the machines and the OS are all Apple.  With a Windows PC, and until recently, Microsoft did not make the hardware and control it like Apple.  It made the Operating System and it had to run on the multitude of possible hardware configurations - some 100% compatible, some "mostly" compatible, some "marginally" compatible but it runs on most of these.  Thus stability of the Windows OS is dependent on the hardware compatibility.  Apple (mostly) does not have these issues and thus the "warm and fuzzy" stable systems to host DAW's or whatever. 
2017/10/28 14:22:10
tlw
pwalpwal

A full-blown Unix-based multi-user system is "too dumbed down"?

Really?

And the number of perfectly functional printers alone rendered useless when a Windows update requires a new driver the printer manufacturer decides not to write because they'd rather sell you a new printer could probably fill the Grand Canyon.
2017/10/28 15:12:29
Jim Roseberry
tlw
pwalpwal

A full-blown Unix-based multi-user system is "too dumbed down"?

I believe he's talking about iOS (not OSX).  
In trying to make certain things "simple"... (IMO) Apple has over-complicated and made the situation tedious.
ie: Access to files should be direct... not convoluted and not requiring iTunes.  Connect, drag, drop...

Speaking of which, Apple is frequently updating iOS (which isn't long-term a bad thing), but it often takes time for App developers to catch up.  As with your Windows printer example, this often leaves App features broken (or at risk of failing).  I use OnSong live... and have to be careful not to install iOS updates before a gig.
2017/10/28 17:37:48
abacab
A computer story about PC, Mac, and ChromeOS, with a happy ending.

I set my Dad up with a first PC back around year 2000 so he could use the web, and email with friends on AOL (dial-up).

I refurbed a used Win 95 box for this task.  Set it up for him, showed him how to perform basic tasks.  He took to it like a pro!  But then I got support phone calls nearly every week.  It finally died, and I ordered him a new Dell.  He installed that himself.  But I still got support calls.  He had loaded all kinds of security software on it and was getting conflicts and weird pop-up warnings, and was afraid to sign on to his bank account anymore.

So I ordered him a Mac mini.  That was a success!  I got calls maybe twice a year to help with downloading the latest Mac security update.  He was still on dial-up, so I would download the updates over broadband, and burn them to CDROM for him.  Otherwise he rarely called with issues.

Well about 2 years ago the Mac finally hit end of life, and could no longer run the latest browser versions that banks required for online access.  So they disabled online access to his accounts.  The OS could no longer be updated on that hardware either.  And I had gotten him on broadband internet by now.

So I ordered him a new ChromeBox (same ChromeOS as a ChromeBook, but like a NUC form factor), as a drop in replacement for the Mac Mini.  After setup, it was working like a champ!  He just uses a web browser, so his simple needs are fully met.

No support calls in almost two years.

Bottom line is that the user experience is widely varied, depending on the user's adaptability regarding learning curve, troubleshooting, customization, fiddling, tweaking, etc.

I admit that I'm a tech-head, and a dumbed down OS and hardware I cannot upgrade would drive me up the wall!  But there is a place in this world for each type of tech, as a type of tech for each type of user.  I celebrate the diversity!

So I do see the good points made about switching on a Mac DAW (like an appliance) and just making music!  There are days that I would really like to toss my Windows literally out the window, LOL!  But I always get through it somehow... 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account