• Computers
  • Apple: It's Good If You Like C**P (p.5)
2017/10/29 18:44:24
Sir Les
2012 mac pro, is not a 2013 mac pro.
and if so a mac pro is a mac pro of 2013...he got support, and warranty for it if bought from a registered store, no doubt?

And what caused the burning of it?...has not been entered to the causing...perhaps no APC, or surge surpresion used on electrical?...if having so much issues with devices?

MS OS win10..and the third party people, sure making troublesome code to undo user settings, ram games down the pipi pipe, and bing still doing what it does do, if not hiden more so deeper into...to get the id, data, and surfing info, spending habits, and turn the OS into a store front...if not also slanting markets with such intel...may be insider trading methods also to consider being tied to....develop for the troubles ahead to sell a cure, with paid tech support of course...tied to third world penny paid people, and penny pinchers, and all the scamming also, to get the phone calls for, that intel sold to fourth party people..???

....Well here where I am, they have abolished the penny, so some might not get paid at all?..or is it supposed to be rounded up to 5 cents raise?

Just hope this one post, is not removed by those who do that sort of thing, just witnessing again today....for liking my Mac Pro 2013 and El Capitan os and daws that do not drop the audio at all...nice clean multi
tracking...and rendering...once tweaked....is a refreshing move away from the hair pulling crackles and pops...witnessing now to say.

What ever solution works for the user...use it.

And stop removing posts please...it shows a underhanded silencing of the truth be told by both if not all sides of any witnessing done to solve for!

Cheers.
2017/10/29 19:56:27
bitflipper
My late wife was, inexplicably, an iPhone fan. Her phone had an issue, which turned out to be a software problem (at least, in the diagnosis by the certified "genius" at the Apple store that we had to make an appointment to see).

The problem manifested itself in the "S" key randomly mis-registering when pressed. Unfortunately, she had an "s" in her password, so it was inevitable that she'd eventually enter an incorrect password three times in a row. Her phone was then automatically locked. I had to call someone in India and literally beg them to allow the phone to be used again.

I don't want any vendor to have that kind of power over me. Microsoft is bad enough with their mandatory updates, but I have never been denied the use of a device because of it.
2017/10/30 00:02:14
townstra
Since I don't mind working on a PC to upgrade it if needed the main reason I stick with the Windows 10 PCs is they are really cost effective.  I have less than $1000 in an i7 desktop PC in my studio, and it has been extremely reliable and runs Splat and Vegas Pro without breaking a sweat.  Loading the drivers to get it up and running for everything was really no big deal since I had to install software anyway.  Nothing against the Macs, but just not worth the money for me.
2017/10/30 02:37:08
gswitz
Jim Roseberry
Some folks love Gibson guitars... others would rather play PRS... and yet others prefer Fender.

So far, I have a Fender Strat. Someday... someday...
2017/10/30 05:22:05
dubdisciple
I'm used yo working with windows, linux and mac. I'm mostly neutral, but do find the closed world of mac limiting at times, yet appreciate that same closed system does allow for a more stable environment. It just has never justified the price vs performance factor for me. I will always get damn near twice the processing power going pc vs mac. Stability has never been my issue since i do most of my personal computing on linux
2017/10/30 10:59:54
kennywtelejazz
gswitz
Jim Roseberry
Some folks love Gibson guitars... others would rather play PRS... and yet others prefer Fender.

So far, I have a Fender Strat. Someday... someday...

It never ends ...It Never Ends... 
Just wait until you have 3 of this and 4 or that. Then you will know what I'm talking about 
It just cost my 87 bucks to buy strings and that was only for 10 of my guitars ...The other 20 plus are just gonna have to wait 

Kenny

PS , abacab the chrome book thing I went with about a year ago ....for all the general internet stuff ...I love it .
2017/10/30 13:43:37
Starise
Like several here, I used a Mac a long time ago. That computer was a gift, I should say it was a new, out of the box gift. It never had any real issues. It was great for basic getting around the web and if it had been a better model it probably would have made a great music computer too. I'm not really qualified to give a detailed comparison on the new Macs. It wasn't the computer itself that made me start using a PC. It was mainly the price and the fact that most everything about it was done "in house". About the same time I got a really good deal on a PC kit at Tigerdirect, so when it was time to change, I bought the kit and built one myself. This was back in the late 90's.

That put me on the trajectory  I've been on ever since. When a PC gets long in the tooth, I simply upgrade it.

What has changed since then is computers are way more powerful than they once were, making many off the shelf computers more than capable to run Sonar for a home recordist. There are people using i3 chips in laptops for simple projects. i5 chips for some of the heavier jobs and we regularly see i7's  in use running large studio projects. You can get an i7 with 16gb of ram and a decent hard drive in a store bought PC. Many PC companies will let you pre configure and order it online. A laptop with an i5 is capable to do many home studio chores with ease.

I seem to be the type of person that can zero in on a problem and solve it quickly and maybe this has helped me more than I know with PC's. I naturally get technology. Case in point- Recently I was sent on a job at my work with three techs standing there scratching their heads over a problem. I had the issue fixed within 10 minutes.They had been there for an hour. This seems to happen with some regularity. I've been told I had the "magic touch". More likely, I just found the likely problems and zeroed in on it quickly for a fix. 

I heard an interesting concept recently concerning mind over matter. Apparently, there are some people who could break anything no matter how well it worked before they showed up. Others seem to have "the touch" to make things work. This has been proven in studies believe it or not. Apparently we can somehow shape our surroundings to some extent. This gets into quantum physics and I can't tell you how or why it works, but it seems to work to an extent and affect our surroundings. I heard about it through this author on a podcast. Mind Over Matter
I probably disagree with a lot of what he says, but I do think there is something to it.

Maybe you know someone that can just show up and things stop working  Those people could break a Mac or a PC. 

2017/10/30 13:48:08
pwalpwal
for me the first red flag was when they released the bathroom-accessory-looking imac back in the mid-90s - no external scsi port (for all the external drives we'd invested in) only usb, but not a single usb device available on the (uk) market, nevermind scsi/usb adapters... apple can go whistle as far as i'm concerned
2017/10/30 14:05:57
AT
My PC has never taken hundreds of my old songs from vinyl I've recorded to WAVs and changed them to a proprietary format that can't be unlocked and changed back to anything I can play on anything other than an old Ipod.  That is a couple of weeks of work just pissed away since I use my PC to listen to music, or my Windows phone in the car.

I'll probably buy a (nother) Ipad soon for music work (my wife has both of ours) but I'll keep my listening music off it.  Once bitten, as the saying goes.
2017/10/30 14:35:30
Starise
I was reluctant to switch from my Apple phone to an Android since I had a bunch of stuff I falsely assumed couldn't be moved across platforms. As it turns out all of my pictures and contacts were ported right over to the new phone with a simple app. Not to mention I bought my Android at Costco for a third of the price of a new Apple phone. Since using it now for a few months I like it better than iPhone. No cell phone company payment plan ever again. Those guys will shag you no matter what platform you choose. 

For me, iPads and iPhones were the last things Apple I owned. We have a few iPads. For sheet music work the iPad Pro is probably the best thing since you can buy a bluetooth pedal and turn the pages while playing. Still 1100.00 for something that substitutes a music notebook is a lot of money, at least for me. I can almost hire my own page turner for that. If they could bring that price down I might buy one. Better yet , find a decent android equivalent.

I've lived in the the Apple world and the Google app world. They both offer similar capability, but like anything else Android Google offers much more freedom.

Apple offers- Integrated Safari apps., iCloud storage, iTunes music (both a very close system) both a free version and a higher paid version. I pay .99 a month for 50gb to store my apps in iCloud. Much of that world is only Apple centric. 

Google offers- Google drive ( you can put anything on it you desire including wav files) both free and paid versions, Google docs eliminate the need for Microsoft word for many people. I use the calendar which syncs across all my computers and my phone. Alexa is daily getting more intelligent than Siri. I control my home automation with an echo dot and the larger echo. Google has voice control built into their browser now which I can use on my phone.

The new iPhone X has more recognition built into it than previous versions. That isn't enough to entice me to spend a grand on it when Android has similar. My 200.00 Moto G5+ has fingerprint recognition.I don't care if it can scan my face. The maps both have aren't deal breakers. I can simply use wayz and it tells me when there's an accident ahead.

I'm not saying Android/Google is perfect, but they have certainly managed to compete well with anything Apple comes out with. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account