• Computers
  • Apple: It's Good If You Like C**P (p.6)
2017/10/30 22:15:02
tlw
Starise
Maybe you know someone that can just show up and things stop working  Those people could break a Mac or a PC.  

My wife works with one such. She goes through a couple of work-issued laptops a year on average. The suspected cause of her computer-killing ability was she never seems to grasp things like dropping a running laptop six inches onto a desk will do the spinning HDD in it no good at all. Early this year they switched to new laptops with SDDs. The computer destroyer has already killed one....

As for Macs vs PCs, both have their advantages and disadvantages. The system that I think would have been superior to both had it been continued with was the Commodore Amiga OS. Back in the early 90s an A1200 could run rings round IBM PC clones and Windows 3 and had a superb multi-tasking OS for the time.

Unfortunately Commodore ended up in the hands of someone who if awarded the advertising account for KFC would have filled billboards around the world with “please eat our greasy, warm lumps of dead birds”.

Such is life, nothing is perfect.
2017/10/31 14:29:24
Starise
Ha, tlw. We have a few women on the forum here and I want to escape with my life so I'll keep my comments on that to a minimum. The ones we have here are VERY technically minded. I think most though would rather not bother with it and do whatever it is they like to do which usually isn't computer/software repair.

My wife loves to take pictures. For some odd reason she simply won't use an outboard HDD for her pics. She simply fills up laptop HDDS and buys a new laptop. I've even bought her a drive and preached using it to her. I ended up with it. She is on her third lappy in as many years and working on a forth. I have one of them in my studio that she forgot about. I might use it for portable work . Did you ever see a laptop with a 1TB hdd try to boot on less than 100mb?. You get, "hard drive is full" Boink boink boink ....I gave up on it.

The Google world is better than the Safari world. Transfer any file you want, eat twinkies in bed, whatever. It's all ok  in the Google world. Apps for everything.

Apple safari- Not so much. It goes like this: You wanna do that? Buy this.$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I was looking at iPad pro as sheet music storage. 1100 though. Ouch.

2017/10/31 23:39:13
Fleer
Well, what's new. Apple has always had glued up computers. And glued up phones. And glued up paraphernalia. I don't mind. I love the way they don't separate software  from hardware, or make hardware separated from software. It's the only company I know that combines both in one (glued up) package. So i'll be going for that new glued up iMac Pro, sure as hell. 
Did I like Apple more when I started with them in the eighties and they were the little man? You bet. Do I think Apple was more creative and original back then? Yep. 
Do I believe Apple still leads for musical creation? Another yep.
It's  their idiosyncrasy that does it for me. Even now.
But I hate adapters and the loss of phone jacks.
Maybe that's idiosyncratic too.
2017/11/01 14:52:43
Starise
Yep, glued up with PC innards and weird connectors. More power to ya.
2017/11/01 15:15:19
Jim Roseberry
IMO, Apple should re-design the iMac so that the user can quickly/easily swap out the boot drive.
It's just poor engineering to have to peel off the entire glass screen to swap out the boot drive.
At the very least, provide a back-panel to access a M.2 slot.  
Purposely engineered to force users to the Apple Store.  
With a PC, a drive-swap is a 5-minute task.

2017/11/01 15:19:02
abacab
Looks like Microsoft has taken a tip from Apple with their Surface...LOL!!!

iFixit Labels the Surface Laptop a ‘Glue-Filled Monstrosity’
https://www.extremetech.c...lue-filled-monstrosity

2017/11/01 15:40:01
Jim Roseberry
Regarding "Mac exclusively" in professional studios:

Mac computers are seriously lagging behind the curve of hardware development.

Composers who are pushing the limits of hardware (usually composing for TV/Film/Video Games) are literally forced to use custom PCs... because they can't get the hardware they need from Apple.
Was talking with Fred Coury about this during our last conversation.
Many of the top LA composers (Fred, Danny Lux, etc) get together once a month to discuss their craft/tools/etc.
Of this group, even the most die-hard Mac users are running custom PCs as VE-Pro "Slave" machines.
We're finishing up a VE Pro Slave (as we speak) for Trevor Howard. 
Trevor is a Mac guy... but needs more power/flexibility.

Mac machines are sleek/slick... but (ironically) not particularly well suited for the "power-user".

2017/11/01 15:45:36
Jim Roseberry
abacab
Looks like Microsoft has taken a tip from Apple with their Surface...LOL!!!

iFixit Labels the Surface Laptop a ‘Glue-Filled Monstrosity’
https://www.extremetech.c...lue-filled-monstrosity

Sleek/slick... slow and expensive

2017/11/01 15:47:58
Jim Roseberry
Oh... and disposable   

2017/11/01 17:25:41
Starise
Steve Jobs  vision was to make a portable device that could be the center of a users world. He wasn't going for the server market. I think the desktop was a secondary thought. He wanted people to have everything at their fingertips.

Everyone walking around in New York like lemmings looking at a screen was his idea lol. The only obstacle to that idea was some things require more screen space and a more in depth interface. He really had me believing that I could do almost everything I once did on a smaller device. I bought a bunch of apps for music. I guess I'm old school. Didn't work for me. I mean, yes you can do it. I can also make home made ice cream which I might do every 10 years. 

Steve Jobs is now dead. He isn't directing the company as a spirit. The new management is under no obligation to continue his vision. Apple is like a big bureaucratic dinosaur. They are good at one thing still. Making smart phones.Even that can be challenged by others. So what is their main schtick now? A name? A different OS? What is the final result? They never were king of the hill, just different. Not better, different. JMHO YMMV. My 0000000002 or less :)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account