• Computers
  • Apple: It's Good If You Like C**P (p.8)
2017/11/02 23:57:40
timidi
The 'which is better' Mac or PC debate is always inherently flawed because price always comes into the equation.
 IMO, I don't think price has anything to do with which is a better computer.
2017/11/03 01:06:42
dubdisciple
abacab..still a great deal although one could get a used conputer and install linux for under 100. I think the awesome part of rasberry pi is the educational value and customization potential
2017/11/03 02:00:06
abacab
dubdisciple
abacab..still a great deal although one could get a used conputer and install linux for under 100. I think the awesome part of rasberry pi is the educational value and customization potential

Agreed.  I've been building computers for almost 20 years, so have quite a boneyard of used Intel parts.  I have built a few Linux boxes with those spare parts!

That is the only reason I have not been playing with this new tech yet.  So it must be a good time to be a kid, and have this micro stuff as a resource for learning! 

I just wanted to point this angle out for some perspective to the discussion.  I have been working with computers since the mainframe days, before PC, and I am just amazed at what is available today.  When the first personal computers appeared, I looked at them as toys.  But then it was the Amiga, and then the Mac that showed promise as multimedia capable computers.  It took some time for the PC to take it's place among them.  

So here we are.  Intel based Macs.  Intel based PC's.  Mac is a Unix OS.  So is Linux.  Take your pick... sooner or later maybe Microsoft will wise up and move the Windows kernel to Unix or Linux, LOL!!!  But if not, it's all good if it still works for you! 
2017/11/03 03:49:32
kennywtelejazz
Hi Tim ,

Sorry about the Starise misspelling boink boink it was unintentional ...
I have been listening to your music and sounds for years ...I love a lot of what you do

Peace ,

Kenny

2017/11/03 06:17:57
Rain
dubdisciple
Never understood need for people to be insistent on platforms to the point where they need to deride others. Experiences vary amd there are certainly pros and cons on each. If something is working for you, why give a crap what others prefer? Macs ARE generally easier to work the eay you want out the box, but that is not always true since pc makers and users vary. Pcs AREmore susceptible to crashes and driver incompatibilities for average user, but some pc users have no such issies. When Mac users do experience issues whether hardware or software they tend to be far harder to resolve for the average joe. Wgen linux works it tends to be smooth sailing, but the most minor things can be annoying. I think most of these debates are based in a bizarre insecurity about very personal choices.

Ditto. 

Both alternatives do work, as abundantly demonstrated on a daily basis in the industry. People who pretend that PC are too unreliable to use are proven wrong every minute of the day. Same goes for people who are on some sort of anti-Apple crusade.

As Jim pointed out, there's also a lot of people running hybrid rigs, because that's what works for them.

Personally, I think that the assumption that just about every one basically NEEDS quantum computing to make music is ridiculous. Of course some people require a gazillion live tracks, but they're certainly not the majority - merely a fragment of the market.

In fact, all that computing power did very little to improve the quality of music in recent years. All the opposite.

Personally, no matter how much more powerful the latest custom-built PC is than my current rig, I couldn't care less. And that is the mentality of a majority of Mac users I speak with - and who do this for a living.

2017/11/03 15:37:26
Mesh
....just wanted to drop in and say I like mac

and cheese
2017/11/03 15:41:27
Starise
I posted and it went away. The other day the same thing happened and it took a day for it to show up. 

Mac and Cheese are like what? Simon and Garfunkle? Maybe a bad comparison. Well ok, yes it's a bad comparison.
2017/11/03 16:47:07
dubdisciple
My son just made an entire album using a 10 year old laptop running XP and onboard soundcard. The songs are not full orchestral arrangements, but he managed to do everything within box
2017/11/03 17:35:42
Rain
Coexist...

2017/11/19 00:04:54
Fleer
All things considered, I'm still anxious to see what that new iMac Pro may bring to the musical table.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account