• Software
  • Sonar / CbB on Linux via Wine. (p.2)
Original Pranksta
REAPER and Linux is a combination that makes it easier and more affordable for kids everywhere to be able to produce recordings of the instruments that they play.

No need for a $600 smart phone and a $50/month data plan or an expensive brand name OS computer and an $50/month internet connection fee. No need to finagle access to a cloud or online authorization. No need to spend a bunch of money to get access to freeware.

You can hack together a Linux box and stick Reaper on it with a bare minimum budget.

Digital kindness.

So here's a screenshot of the hacked together REAPER and Linux box. Having some fun with Drumkit From Hell loaded up in EZ-Drummer, playing along with a Native Instruments B4 and an electric bass.

This setup is NOT as responsive as running it on the same machine but booted up into Windows. Most of the reason for that is the VST/VSTi plugins are all running in WINE and being bridged as native Linux plugins using Airwave. Still, it is plenty usable, and since I run Linux most of the time on my dual boot DAW, I could easily start a song running the Linux version, and then finish it up while booted into the Windows side of the house.
2018/08/01 22:35:43
ØSkald
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
This setup is NOT as responsive as running it on the same machine but booted up into Windows. Most of the reason for that is the VST/VSTi plugins are all running in WINE and being bridged as native Linux plugins using Airwave. Still, it is plenty usable, and since I run Linux most of the time on my dual boot DAW, I could easily start a song running the Linux version, and then finish it up while booted into the Windows side of the house.

This is cool.
But a little sad that the latency is bigger.
I hope they can make a better solution.
Maybe BandLab could make Cakewalk a Linux DAW, and with a bult in *.exe Plugin install and "bridge".

Or does it need to bee Linux? Just a stripped down Windows just for Cakewalk and just an intern portal in Cakewalk to install drivers and plugins. Boot right into Cakewalk without any desktop, start menu, and so on.
2018/11/08 22:20:08
Dima_San
I do use REAPER Linux Native and all my new projects are on my linux (Arch) mashine. I can record audio and mix music and even movies)))

Today I installed CA-2A and using airwave created a .so link for it - works well - only I still can not register it. 
Did whant to do the same with L-phase EQ and MB, downloaded both - do not started on my linuks(((

So, plug-ins are wery good, I would like to buy all of them and will wait for LinVST version, on an LV2 (3) format

People from CAKEWALK, do not loose your time, create LinVST plug-ins. There is no good limiters, maximisers and multibend compresors yet. Please be the first!
2018/11/08 22:53:47
azslow3
Do you have Tracktion effects? I am not using Linux native after disappointment with Waveform 8 there... But at least Tracktion has relatively complete FX set for Linux.

Cakewalk LP idea was not bad, but GUI realization is disaster. And remembering also RapturePro, I wish Cakewalk/Bandlab first master how to write plug-ins for one platform before moving to another.
2018/11/09 13:10:00
Dima_San
azslow3
Do you have Tracktion effects? I am not using Linux native after disappointment with Waveform 8 there... But at least Tracktion has relatively complete FX set for Linux.

Cakewalk LP idea was not bad, but GUI realization is disaster. And remembering also RapturePro, I wish Cakewalk/Bandlab first master how to write plug-ins for one platform before moving to another.

When I have known about traction - I was glad and decide to buy their effects, but first i took a trial version of it and then i was glad not to buy it. Effects are working well, but the result is not so good.
I have collect my own kit for work (mixing), but there is not enough multi-band compressor, limiter, maximiser.
I got some plugs from MIXBUS - they are very good, but LV2 and it is not possible to use them in REAPER yet
2018/11/09 14:32:26
Dima_San
By the way, I have just tried to start CA-2A, LP MB and LP EQ in my MIXBUS session - effects work perfect!
But still, i do not have got possibility to make offline registration for CA-2A (menu in the right bottom is permanently disappearing when you click the button)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account