2014/10/06 19:09:46
Kev999
In any menu, all you want to see are the items you might ever wish to select and not have to sift and scroll through a long list that includes stuff you will never need. However, the selection menu in the the "Pick Tracks" dialog box in Piano Roll View (and in Staff View too) lists every track in the project, including audio tracks and synth tracks. Surely this can't be intentional. All anyone ever needs to select to view in PRV are a MIDI tracks and SI tracks. Although it is possible to place MIDI clips into audio tracks, they don't actually function there, so there would be no reason to edit them there. In a large project it often takes longer than necessary to find the required midi track, especially if you are trying to make a muliple selection. It would therefore make life easier if the irrelevant types of track (i.e. audio & synth) could be filtered out from the list.

I'm guessing that this should be an easy one for the programmers.
2014/10/07 03:33:09
perfectprint
the track column on the right could use an overhaul. its entire functionality is hidden behind a Tracks > Pick Tracks... selection sequence.  Having all MIDI tracks displayed by default would make better sense as it becomes immediately functional.

2014/10/07 04:21:35
Kev999
perfectprint
...Having all MIDI tracks displayed by default would make better sense as it becomes immediately functional...

If a project has only 3 MIDI tracks like your screenshot, then yes I would probably like to display them all together in a single PRV. However, most of my projects contain dozens of them. It would be too confusing and I would spend too much time scrolling in the right pane.
2014/10/07 10:09:35
stevec
A Track Manager for PRV, filtered for MIDI?

2014/10/07 12:19:12
perfectprint
but are you not scrolling anyhow in the Pick Tracks box, even if it were filtered for MIDI only? The PRV track pane contains 25% more info than the Pick Tracks box does by default. 

the PRV track pane would need an exclusive solo to be properly functional - like I said it could do with an overhaul to introduce some more default functionality. Limiting the height of each track could be one improvement then - same with track view!!! 
2014/10/07 13:00:08
Grem
I kinda like both features the way they are.
2014/10/07 21:27:01
Splat
perfectprint
the track column on the right could use an overhaul. its entire functionality is hidden behind a Tracks > Pick Tracks... selection sequence.  Having all MIDI tracks displayed by default would make better sense as it becomes immediately functional.

Have you cake and eat it. You could have the setting in preferences and choose this or current behaviour as the default setting. Most of what I see here could be optional under preferences.
2014/10/08 21:56:36
rtucker55
It's too bad you can't save your visible selections in your projects.

Currently, if you unselect one of the midi tracks above using the 'notes' button and save your project when you reopen it will be selected again. (visible)

I find this a royal pain when I have several midi tracks open but only one visible to edit. I save the project in hopes of coming back to where I left off only to find ALL the tracks visible again.

Surely this on/off thing could be saved within a project...
2014/10/17 10:27:23
g_randybrown
I find this a royal pain when I have several midi tracks open but only one visible to edit. I save the project in hopes of coming back to where I left off only to find ALL the tracks visible again.

I agree it would be nice if the specific view was saved but a workaround in the meantime is to save as with what you were working on last (ie bass @ m 30)...you may already do this but just thought I'd throw it out there.
2015/01/22 11:48:21
soens
Well.... there are times when I like having an audio or synth track in the PRV. Usually to have quick access to soloing/muting them when working on an associated midi track.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account