• Software
  • Question for exeperienced engineers! (p.3)
2017/09/29 12:54:50
mudgel
I just had an opportunity to demo the Slate Everything Bundle.
I have all the Waves plugs, Melda, Ozone plus a couple hundred more.

General comment on Slate. Meh! Don't really need them nor see why the fuss.
Now I'm not against Slate as I run a Raven MTi1 and it's great.

The funny thing though is that as I've become more experienced I use less plugins. Why? I'm glad you asked. Because experience has taught me how to get what's going into the box to be the best it can be, so now that I don't have to fix it in the box let alone in the mix or even the master, plugins have less of a place. They still have their place but now I don't fight with them, or put them n just because I have them.

Of course sometimes the job is to fix something but that's a whole other kettle of fish. The beauty is that there's a plugin for everything. But only when you need it.
2017/09/29 13:20:50
Rimshot
Sonar has all the bases covered.  For 3rd party, I have added Waves L3, MeldaMultiEQ, MeldaAnalyzer, ToneBooster's Barricade and Sibalence, Kleinghelm meters and compressors, iZotope Neutron Elements, and just recently Ozone Imager. I probably forgot one but these are the ones I use with Sonar the most. Most of these were fairly inexpensive after finding sale prices. 

2017/09/29 17:21:28
michaelhanson
mudgel
I just had an opportunity to demo the Slate Everything Bundle.
I have all the Waves plugs, Melda, Ozone plus a couple hundred more.

General comment on Slate. Meh! Don't really need them nor see why the fuss.
Now I'm not against Slate as I run a Raven MTi1 and it's great.

The funny thing though is that as I've become more experienced I use less plugins. Why? I'm glad you asked. Because experience has taught me how to get what's going into the box to be the best it can be, so now that I don't have to fix it in the box let alone in the mix or even the master, plugins have less of a place. They still have their place but now I don't fight with them, or put them n just because I have them.

Of course sometimes the job is to fix something but that's a whole other kettle of fish. The beauty is that there's a plugin for everything. But only when you need it.

Bingo.
2017/09/29 17:31:30
bapu
mudgel
The beauty is that there's a plugin for everything. But only when you need it.

Unless I don't own it, in which case I must buy it.

Oh heck, I'll buy it anyway.
2017/09/29 18:03:15
gbowling
It also depends on "what you do with your DAW?" 

For myself, I play in a band that has written, performed, and played for many years. We recorded to tape for years. So our workflow is more similar to the old classic studio in the tape era. We play "basic tracks" to sonar and overdub parts after that. 

Pretty much all of our music is "us playing instruments and recording them."  Our writing is all on "instruments," we write by playing guitar or keyboards or some instrument. None of this involves our DAW at all, other than to maybe record some ideas for later reference.

This is a much different workflow from someone who does EDM or sequences a lot with midi, groove clips, and the like. It's also much different than someone who writes music via a "score" and produces things from there. Many of these people write using their DAW, putting together the music, moving the arrangements around in the DAW, etc. 

So different DAWs are stronger at one style or the other. I know that for our workflow and what we do, Sonar is excellent. I also own Reaper and could do everything there as well, but I prefer Sonar. 

If our workflow was different, I'm not sure. I don't do that so I'm not as aware of the issues and comparisons of Sonar vs Reaper for those situations. But it's something worth thinking and studying about. 

gabo
2017/09/29 18:23:23
jude77
To the OP:
I think you're beginning to see there are a lot of different opinions on how to proceed! 

Good luck going forward.
2017/09/29 18:25:17
yorolpal
Welp...I have been engineering for over 30 dang years and, as Bapsi allows, have more plugins than is humanly necessary and IMHO you should just get Sonar Platinum and not buy another thing (well maybe a really good reverb) until you've learned and used everything SPLAT has to offer.  If you can't produce a killer diller project with what's already in SPLAT buying more plugins is probably not gonna help you one tincy bit.
2017/09/29 18:26:41
jude77
yorolpal
Welp...I have been engineering for over 30 dang years and, as Bapsi allows, have more plugins than is humanly necessary and IMHO you should just get Sonar Platinum and not buy another thing (well maybe a really good reverb) until you've learned and used everything SPLAT has to offer.  If you can't produce a killer diller project with what's already in SPLAT buying more plugins is probably not gonna help you one tincy bit.

Yep. 
2017/09/29 18:27:24
bapu
Imagine if myolapl and I were car enthusiasts. I'd need a 4100 car garage. And it would pale in comparison to myolpal's garage.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account