2012/04/16 14:38:32
critter0107
It does the change the sound (not the velocity) but I can't tell how. Resonance maybe? I appreciate you trying to help! My brain's fried and I've gotta go work for a few hours. I'll try more later and post back if I find out more info. Its just curious if you can't replicate the problem with the same patch I was using it seems like something weird on my end. But I've got two different programs that exhibit the same behaviour? Thanks
2012/04/16 14:50:23
dubdisciple
no worrie3s.  We all have these kind of issues at some point and they usually get worked out..  Asd far as the velocity thing goes, what groovey1 was trying to indicate that  the sound is sometimes different based on velocity.  A very common application of that is with sample based synths, the sample triggered when a piano is hit hard is a brighter sample than when played softly.  It is possible (and i will look at the patch closely since groovey brought it up) that certain parameters of the patch that affect the sound are altered by velocity, even if the velocity itself is the same.  if that makes any sense.
2012/04/16 17:36:32
critter0107
Yes that makes sense. I guess what I don't get is what is the difference between playing a note on a controller and placing that same note in the piano roll and pressing play. Why would Z3TA respond differently??? I mean I get the fact that lots of modifications are possible through midi but shouldn't the midi clip by default just be an exact copy of what the controller played? Thanks for the help and patience guys!
2012/04/16 18:09:01
dubdisciple
"  I guess what I don't get is what is the difference between playing a note on a controller and placing that same note in the piano roll and pressing play"

We don't know if that is the issue, but to answer your question, when you place a note in the piano roll, I believe it defaults to a velocity of 127. When you play it on a controller, the velocity will be based on how hard you play.  so the info will not be identical unless you play the keyboard very hard and even then the info can be diferenht depending on what other midi info your controller transmits.  After touch being one possible variable

Based on the patch you mentioned, I don't find any velocity specific changes, so that is not the issue.
2012/04/16 18:09:20
groovey1
Hopefully I'm not leading this discussion off the rails by bringing up velocity. But I was using a preset on the weekend that was programmed this way. I can't remember the name of it, but it had "(vel)" at the end of the name to indicate it was doing something special with velocity. I don't know how many presets are like this, but I doubt it's anywhere near 40% of them ... so it makes me wonder if you're running into something else.

Regarding your last question ... I'm assuming when you say "placing" a note, you're talking about drawing it in the PRV. If that's the case, when you draw a note, it will have the default velocity (which you can change). When you play the note, the velocity will depend on how hard you press the key.

Or, do you find that when you record a note and then play it back, it sounds different?
2012/04/16 18:18:30
critter0107
Ok I understand the difference in velocity. Its not velocity causing the problem. I was just wondering if there was some information being transmit by the controller that's not being transmitted by the midi clip. FYI I'm using FLStudio 10 but I also have Sonar 5 to double check things with. Thanks for checking in that patch for me :)
2012/04/16 18:25:06
dubdisciple
For me it comes out identical.  i have tried drawing in piano roll, playing live and recording while playing and everything is exact. can you export the midi file?  if so, i will import and see if it sounds any different
2012/04/16 18:31:57
critter0107
No not at all. That's a good point about velocity. And yes about 40% of the presets I'm trying have a different sound to them when triggered by the midi clip as opposed to the controller. Its some sort of mix up because the preset will have something like a filter sweep but when played by the midi clip there's no filter sweep but instead the panning is going back and forth. Yes, by placing a note I mean drawing it into the prv. If I click on a piano note in the prv the patch sounds right. If I click to draw the note the patch still sounds right. But when I press play it sounds different. Something missing, different pitch, out of sync etc for different patches. Again, I can recreate this problem in two different DAWs
2012/04/16 18:33:24
critter0107
You lucky dawg :-) I've got a midi file but the forum won't let me upload the file.
2012/04/16 18:53:23
dubdisciple
I'll send you a private msg.  just email me the mid
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account