2015/01/30 13:27:52
5MilesHigh
I'm still at a bit of a loss about the 'why's' of C3. It's new and I may not yet be familiar with all its features, but the Help hasn't been too helpful.

1) While it can combine multiple files into a single DL process, a FireFox 'DownThemAll, seems easier.
2) It does keep the installer files after doing the installation, but apparently can't pause/resume/recover from an interrupted file DL. Steam does this effortlessly.
3) I have to manually run the Sonar installer anyway to get it off my C: drive and/or install the 32bit version. Likewise, it appears that some of the DLs are just prog's to run some other prog-installer file anyway (Addictive Drums, etc).
4) While the C3 does show the new install SN/Reg info, it's pretty hard to read and needs a bigger font. There is plenty of space for the important info, so drop some of the redundant logo junk. Even worse, one can't copy/paste from its display which makes it pointless, since I still need to go to MyAccounts to find the info in a legible format that I can actually read and then C/P into my files and the app's reg page.
5) I noticed that all my reg's for my various instruments appeared to get re-set, so I did the individual 'bulk' install of each. This is probably a SonarPro side-effect rather than C3. However, C3 was of no help for this. I had to rely on my collection of earlier installers and my list of Reg Info as 'My Account' is still recovering from losing most my app info which I needed to re-install X1 on my new machine. Most of the Store info seems to be back now, at least the important stuff, though I had supply some it myself. The point is that C3 was/is of no help with prior products. I may be wrong, but it certainly doesn't show them or offer to install them for me. So, C3 is only for going forward, which actually complicates my life as I have another new thing to use/learn while still needing to retain the old skills for legacy apps/instruments.
6) It also appears the C3 and some of the installers need to be run as Admin's, particularly with the Win8.1 security settings. Apparently these will be changed yet again in W10. The first thing C3 should do is provide a setup/config screen advising about such stuff. In particular, in my enthusiasm for the new tool, I overlooked setting up the 'Cog' screen. So, I had to abort a DL, lose its progress, set things up and then re-start. One time setup scrns are not new to CW and with a disable option are not a problem.
7) I was really disappointed that C3 just did a 'dumb' install of Sonar, rather than helping me go about configuring it. As such, I have resorted to running the manual installer anyway. At least it still provides access to 'custom' installs. C3 could also offer a 'Default' dumb install or an 'Custom' config. At the very least, it should offer an option to manually run the installer so the user can then config things. C3 just blindly runs away with its dumb 'Default' install without a way to even stop it.
8) The C3 doesn't run in a window, so no moving, sizing, etc. Granted it's multi-platform but that's a weak excuse to get it out of the way of installation screens, etc.
9) Command Center is a really lousy title. I've already got a bunch of Command Centers for HW and software. I've even got a Command Center for my mobo! It's just for CW stuff, and mostly Sonar, so far anyway. It needs to be descriptive of what it is/does and not take on airs or try to compete with others in the Start list.

So, aside from the 'fancy' graphics, I'm at a loss to see the advantages. I'm now wondering how it's going to manage 'updates' to my 'Custom' Sonar & Instrument installations (32 and 64). It better not break things by assuming its 'default' install is still active!!

Now, if it could un-install, re-install my X1_32/64s, instruments/effects/MidiFX, as well as S_Pro then I'd be impressed and likely to use it again. 

2015/01/30 19:11:54
ampfixer
I would be happy if C3 was a bit more intelligent. It should look at my machine and know what's there and what's missing. NI does this pretty well, as does XLN. I'm sure it's simply half-baked at this point and I hope it will evolve.
2015/01/31 11:17:09
5MilesHigh
I made an error while ranting above about the window stuff (item 8). C3 looks like one of the hated Windoze tiles, but it behaves like a window and has min/close icons. It does size and move. Losing the Win frame isn't bad, but fooled me initially. I'm easily fooled. I'd still like to see some menu's as I suspect it will get some additional complications/options soon and text is way easier to figure out then an icon without quick-tips, particularly for us first time users and we are all first-timers now.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account