• Software
  • Does anyone have a service they recommend to sell their music for them? Tunecore? CDBaby ?
2017/09/22 13:52:40
jim137
Does anyone have a service they recommend to sell their music for them? Tunecore? CDBaby?
The reviews of them sound scary.

Or maybe the question is: How can one safely sell their creations online and retain control of them?
2017/09/22 14:29:27
thepianist65
I've used both before, and currently use CD Baby. While I can't say it's been that lucrative (it hasn't), they charge one fee for distribution and no annual renewal fees. Tunecore (when I tried it) had a yearly fee to continue distribution.  I have not experienced any issues with CD Baby, and when sales get to a certain point, I get the $$$, little that it is. The larger issue is the paltry royalties from digital distribution, and the decline of CD sales. Making music is a tough way to make any $$, unless you are one of the few, trendy, or fortunate ones. But as far as any "control" issues, I don't have major concerns about it (I'm also a member of ASCAP, which I think is a useful step to take, as well). Hope this helps a little bit.
And then again, it seems that if you can get a lot of YouTube hits you can build a following much better than simply getting digital music distribution. Even my fellow musician friends and colleagues seem to use YouTube as their primary source, rather than Spotify or iTunes, for example. I'm more of a listener than a TV watcher, but I'm in the minority. So look into Patreon, YouTube, and other means of getting your stuff out there, and perhaps you will find more gold at the end of that rainbow.
2017/09/22 14:53:49
synkrotron
My stuff ain't worth selling, but I can still recommend Bandcamp. I buy quite a bit of stuff off Bandcamp so, as a music "fan" I like the service.

As a musician, I don't really know... Like, how much do Bandcamp take, as a percentage... I've never read into their terms and conditions.

https://bandcamp.com/
2017/09/22 15:00:38
BobF
2017/09/22 15:56:24
ibediggin
reverbnation is a joke and so is music gateway
2017/09/22 17:43:20
msorrels
2017/09/22 21:47:25
ibediggin
thank you very informative
2017/09/22 22:09:49
gbowling
I use Distrokid, it's another one to look at. It's no frills and low cost and they do what they say they do. Which is put your music out on all the sites... itunes, apple music, spotify, amazon, deezer, etc. etc. etc. It's a yearly fee, but is only $20/yr for unlimited songs and albums. The piddly money you make is collected in your distrokid accout and you can take it out any time.

gabo
2017/09/22 23:32:43
synkrotron
BobF
Here is BC's payment info

https://bandcamp.com/fair_trade_music_policy

Thanks Bob

Bandcamp's terms sound quite fair to me.
2017/09/23 01:14:43
BobF
synkrotron
BobF
Here is BC's payment info

https://bandcamp.com/fair_trade_music_policy

Thanks Bob

Bandcamp's terms sound quite fair to me.

BC looks pretty good to me.  BTW, I've listened to some of your stuff lately.  You should put it out there.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account