• Software
  • How to turn Cardboard Boxes into real Drums with SD3.0
2017/09/16 20:58:02
cclarry
2017/09/17 14:39:14
msorrels
While I think tracker is very nicely done, don't believe any thing that says you can used a bounced/mixed drum track and get something out of it.  The find similar hits feature is kind of weak and it has no real ability to take apart a mixed track, short of you manually selecting the transients it finds.  I don't think Toontrack has been pushing this, their documentation is pretty clear on it and it's limits, but I think some of the press coverage makes it sound like Melodyne for drums, and it's not.  Not even close.

2017/09/17 14:53:43
BassDaddy
That's odd. I used to be able to make real drums sound like cardboard boxes. Lots of compression, no Hi's no low's.
2017/09/17 14:53:55
BassDaddy
Your welcome!!
2017/09/17 16:43:22
mettelus
As long as there is pitch variation in hits, Melodyne can do this, but it would require midi editing to be useful to fire off a kit.
2017/09/17 17:13:56
yorolpal
Interesting.  But that there fella coulda saved a whole heckuva lot of time by simply using one the kits in SD3 to begin with.  I'm sort of with Bass Daddy on this one...only in reverse...it woulda been much more interesting to see him take a finished drum loop and turn it into some cardboard boxes and a pot lid.

heh heh...I said pot lid.
2017/09/17 17:19:37
bapu
msorrels
While I think tracker is very nicely done, don't believe any thing that says you can used a bounced/mixed drum track and get something out of it.  The find similar hits feature is kind of weak and it has no real ability to take apart a mixed track, short of you manually selecting the transients it finds.  I don't think Toontrack has been pushing this, their documentation is pretty clear on it and it's limits, but I think some of the press coverage makes it sound like Melodyne for drums, and it's not.  Not even close.

Ditto.

I never have live mixed down drums to work with. I am now recording e-drums with the Zildjian Gen16 Cymbal System with complete isolation of all 6 cymbals (Hats, 20" Ride, 18" Ride/Crash, 16" Crash, 16" China & 12" Splash). If I don't like the sound of the Gen 16 stuff for a song I can now either convert the isolated cymbal track to MIDI or use Drum Tracker or even Melodyne.

We live in exciting times.
2017/09/17 18:27:32
cclarry
yorolpal
Interesting.  But that there fella coulda saved a whole heckuva lot of time by simply using one the kits in SD3 to begin with.  I'm sort of with Bass Daddy on this one...only in reverse...it woulda been much more interesting to see him take a finished drum loop and turn it into some cardboard boxes and a pot lid.

heh heh...I said pot lid.

While you COULD do this, this is the idea of actually playing the parts yourself, with "household items"
and then converting them to real drums, with just cardboard boxes.  So I do see the "use" of this.  Rather than take all the time to find the right midi parts, edit them, get them to sound and flow the way you want, just 
play it on the boxes and replace.  

Novelty?  Yes.  But could lead to practical application in the right situation...IJS
2017/09/18 04:09:57
yorolpal
Yup...but, again, if you have SD3...you dont have to mic up and play cardboard boxes...or anything else for that matter...and then convert them to SD3 drums.  You can just play or score in SD3 drums, and be done with it. IMHO there is absolutely no practical reason or advantage to do tnis.  It is simply a frivolous and silly example of what COULD be done if you had too much time and not enough brains to realize what you were NOT accomplishing. Sheesh.

But, as I alluded, turning great SD3 samples into cardboard boxes and pot lids COULD have practical value.  Depending on what kind of musical inanity you had in mind.
2017/09/18 19:01:43
bitflipper
I just got off the phone with my Sweetwater rep. He was telling me how he'd watched a demonstration wherein they took the audio from a YouTube video of Rush and loaded it into SD3's Tracker. This was a full mix, not isolated drums. SD3 was able to identify each drum and generate MIDI for a not-for-note reproduction of Neil Peart's drum part. Pretty awesome demonstration of the AI, even more impressive than SD3 identifying a pot lid as a hi-hat in the link above.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account