• Features & Ideas
  • Command Center suggestion - customisable installs for plugins.
2015/01/18 17:07:09
jbraner
Hi,

What are the chances of being able to customise the installs of the plugin suites? I've already seen a post (sorry, can't remember who) from someone who didn't want to overwrite their upgraded (from SONAR to full versions) plugins by installing a whole suite.

This must be pretty easy to implement - no? Or make it optional for those that prefer a completely "idiot proof" method? (No offence intended here. I also like "idiot proof" sometimes) ;-)

Can you be more selective (I haven't tried it yet) if you download and install the old fashioned way?

I'm actually struggling to see the benefit of the Command Center, except for not needing to input the serial number (not a big deal) and telling you when an update is available (which I think you can still do in Help -> About somewhere). I'll stick with it though until the benefit becomes more obvious ;-)
2015/01/18 17:46:03
Guitarpima
How about a command center that is 47 times brighter? Really?
2015/01/18 18:19:25
bluesplayer
Agreed but I'd also like to see more (i.e., FULL) control over WHERE things get installed.  And no, a single path option for 32 and another for 64 bit plugins in CC's option setting is no where near enough install control.

I downloaded and installed everything for Platinum the old fashion way: by running the individually downloaded .exe's.   Not all, there were some like XLN's/AD2, DP, and Rapture, I didn't need or want to run again - AD2 is already the full version and installed where I want it, ditto DP and Rapture.  Glad I did it that way,  at least for my setup.

I like the IDEA of the CC - it just needs some tuning.
2015/01/18 18:24:33
jbraner
And no, a single path option for 32 and another for 64 bit plugins in CC's option setting is no where near enough install control.

No - the installers could point to this path, but let you change it if you want (just like any other installer does)
2015/01/18 19:08:29
bluesplayer
That would be great it that is what it did, but I tested the CC install with Rapture (after installing everything else first) - didn't need to but Rapture is/was easiest for me to get back to my original install/setup (which is NOT on C at all).

Again, just wanted to see where CC would install Rapture (CC settings/option paths notwithstanding).  It simply asked if I wanted  32 or 64 bit and then installed, no interactive questions and no path selections - just dumped 100% on C drive. 
2015/01/18 20:35:01
jbraner
What about if you just download and install the file? Is it better? Or are all the installers "simplified" now?
2015/01/21 16:23:49
bluesplayer
The individual installers still have SOME control over where things install but I still ended up moving stuff off C drive on to my D drive and had to do same "hacks" (been having this install battle with "CW placement of files"  since around Sonar 6'ish, maybe it was 5,  when MS OS Vista came around.

I bypassed Vista completely (whew!) just like I'm bypassing Win 8 completely. But when it comes to CW, which I've been using since CW Pro v2 for MS-DOS  [still have CWPA 9.3 installed and running (long story)]  - I don't think I ever skipped an upgrade.  

However, there were a few CW upgrades I wish I had skipped (I am sucker for trying to stay current, however I ALWAYS keep at least the last STABLE version on-line and running "just in case." This time around X3e has been very good and stable but the AD 2 Producer pak ALONE was worth price of Platinum upgrade - even if I never installed Platinum

2015/01/21 16:26:42
Splat
NI just gives a choice of 32 and 64 bit paths for instance. What's really fraustrating is you have to install both.
2015/01/21 16:30:53
Splat
BTW why would you want to install to different file paths other than 32bit, 64bit, vst2, vst3 etc? And unique folder for .exe Lack of disk space maybe?
2015/01/21 16:33:26
...wicked
This is a pretty valid question. Quite a few folk like to customize their install paths, especially with regard to things that have large sample libraries. Plus, it seems every few versions Cake changes ALL the install paths to stay compliant with some totally lame Microsoft Windows change in how they manage their data. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account