2014/12/28 18:59:46
wpiechowski
Many times I would like to add a text note in different places:
  • a track (eg. to remember guitar amp settings and record configuration)
  • a moment or a range in time ruler
  • a moment in a clip (like "remember to de-ess here")
And a generic shortcut-accesible text edit box for the whole project to write notes (like TODOs, weak points, ideas).
And a box with a list of all notes.

I like the idea of adding a marker during play/rec (M button), I would like it to be expanded with text box.

2014/12/28 19:11:17
scook
In addition to the notes field in every take lane, tracks have a notes field called Description in the Track tab of the Inspector.
ALT+J+I opens the project info dialog which has a large notes area
2014/12/29 02:26:44
robert_e_bone
In addition to using what scook describes, I generally also create a Notepad document for a given project, and store it in the project folder, for adding project notes of whatever length is needed - for things to remember to do, notes for particular measures or places on the time line, notes on issues for individual musicians involved in tracking, etc.

Because I do this for just about every project, it is easy for me to refer to a given project's 'Project Notes' document.  These are also generally named with the project name in them, plus are stored within a project's project folder, so they never get mixed up.

Bob Bone

2014/12/29 09:17:10
Brando
wpiechowski
Many times I would like to add a text note in different places:
  • a track (eg. to remember guitar amp settings and record configuration)
  • a moment or a range in time ruler
  • a moment in a clip (like "remember to de-ess here")
And a generic shortcut-accesible text edit box for the whole project to write notes (like TODOs, weak points, ideas).
And a box with a list of all notes.

I like the idea of adding a marker during play/rec (M button), I would like it to be expanded with text box.

+1 - great ideas
2014/12/29 11:43:01
stevec
Little clip icons like those SoundCloud has would be cool.

2014/12/29 11:52:03
lawp
stevec
Little clip icons like those SoundCloud has would be cool.

they're really cool +1
2014/12/29 18:58:39
TomHelvey
Most of that stuff is there in one form or another. The problem is, they're not in your face and you have to dig around to find them. The whole point of making notes is to trigger your memory for things, if you have to switch tabs or expand a track to see them, you forget about them and they become useless. The project info screen is huge and has lots of space for stuff but it takes up the entire screen and you have to context switch to use it. If someone hadn't pointed out all the notes locations available, I would never have found them. I still rarely use them because they're tucked away in places I don't normally look, out of sight out of mind.
A couple ideas:
A Show Notes track context menu item that brings up a non-modal notepad view that can be resized etc.
Timeline sticky notes that can be seen by hovering over a marker or something.
Add a notes field on the track like PT.
The Inspector has some empty space above the gain knob, maybe put something there.

Edit: Grammar.
2014/12/29 19:06:16
scook
The Project Info screen opens maximized but does not have to stay that way
2014/12/30 00:18:55
RobertB
The Project Info screen is certainly useful for, well, project info.
But I do like the idea of sticky notes along the way. Maybe just notes attached to markers would be cool.
You're listening to your project, and you notice something that needs attention, or you want to try something different, but you don't really want to break the flow to fix it right now.
Insert marker, right click, type note to self, go.
To an extent, you can do that now with the marker name, but if markers are too close, the text overlaps, and you can't read it.
Good idea.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account