• Software
  • who's using speaker Impulse Responses for recording electric guitar?
2017/09/11 21:53:05
batsbrew
suggestions?
opinions?
insights?
what is your setup?
have you a/b'd it against the real deal?
latency issues?
which host and which IR's?
what is the source?

feel free to wax eloquently.
2017/09/12 15:42:42
batsbrew
wow.
2017/09/12 20:08:51
reginaldStjohn
Me, occasionally.  Usually use them in my hardware modeler when recording direct. I also record my guitar direct or through a pre-amp and then apply an IR when mixing to help get the sound I want.
2017/09/12 23:48:24
Barczar
Rosen Digital, Redwirez is what I use. Depends on the amp and the genre. I started with Redwirez, you can buy them individually to get you started.
2017/09/13 12:40:20
dcumpian
Check out the Ownhammer ir's. You can use them with a variety of setups, though I am using them with S-Gear...

Dan
2017/09/13 13:44:39
stm113cw
I use them for everything. My main recording rig is a Fractal Audio Axe FX II, I do use some of their stock IR's (which also includes some by pro IR makers beyond FAS) and get good results but my IR world changed when I started to use Ownhammer stuff. About a year ago I picked up the Heavy Hitters pack that has IR's made using a Marshall 1960 cab, a Diezel 4x12, a Mesa oversized 4x12, and an Orange 4x12. Each cab has V30's and 2 other speaker options plus blends. There's over 1,000 IR's in that pack. I really dig his IR's, my only complaint is that they don't have that top end bite/sizzle that I love, but do you really need that in a mix?

I have several Redwirez, in fact they were the first IR's I ever used, I got them for a project I did back in 2010 when I used Randall MTS preamps direct. They are really great for their time but the tech has changed so much that they just don't hold up to what's available now. Celestion has also entered the IR market, I have tried their free mix and I do like it a lot, I should have bought some when they were 50% off, if they ever do that sale again I'm on it!

FWIW, I prefer to record from my Axe FX with out the IR block turned on, then using Perfect Space or another IR plug on the track. This allows me to audition more IR's, also it allows me to make some pretty drastic tone changes with out reamping and it actually sounds like there is a little more high end frequency (well for guitar) information there than having the IR on in Axe FX. I hope this helped please feel free to hit me up if I can help in any way.
2017/09/13 18:23:39
clintmartin
Ownhammer, Celestionplus, and Redwirez are my favorite brands.
MixIRII by Redwirez is still my favorite IR loader...nothing else really compares with it IMHO.
I audition with MixIRII as I have everyone of my IRs in it's library. Once I find what I'm looking for I will install that IR or IR mix into S-Gear.
S-Gear has a few cool tools that are worth using in it's cab section.
I assume you'll be using your Mesa head and not software?
Rosen has a free IR loader that may be worth trying, but read up on the Redwirez Bigbox collection. I still think it's a great deal even if most people prefer Ownhammer or Celestion over the Redwirez IRs these days.
Heres a link http://www.redwirez.com/mixir2.jsp#  if you want to read the MIxIRII user guide.
2017/09/13 18:36:28
bapu
wow.

he's not come back 
2017/09/13 20:22:20
batsbrew
bapu
wow.

he's not come back 

LOL

2017/09/13 20:30:33
batsbrew
ok, some cool responses, thanks folks... 
i may be hitting you guys up with some 'specific' question in the near future.

i'll be using my mesa boogie markIIb head.....

the question is, how to get the proper signal out of the boogie, and into the DAW.
Now, the boogie has it's own "SLAVE" out, with a level pot.....
but i've never used it.

to date, i've been using a Palmer PDI-09, a specialized DI box with cab filter circuit on it.
works great, it is what you guys have heard if you've checked out any of my recordings...

i really like it, but the IR's, and specifically Pete Thorn's vids have turned me onto the idea of using them.

with the Palmer, i can't use that line level, because i cannot defeat the cab filter that's already put onto the line out.

but, i also have a weber attenuator.

it has a line level out.
no level control on it, but i also have a A Designs Audio ATTY passive attenuator i can use to dial in the level from the weber.

i'm thinking THAT's how i'm going to get my line level into the daw.

anyone dealing with high wattage tube amps, and NOT buying or using the Suhr reactive load?!

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account