• Software
  • who's using speaker Impulse Responses for recording electric guitar? (p.2)
2017/09/13 20:40:26
rsinger
For amp modelling I normally use S-Gear and it uses convolution for the speaker sim. I have some Celestion IRs I use in addition to what's in S-Gear.

https://www.celestionplus.com/

When I record I normally use a VG-99 (whether I'm modelling the guitar or not) with the amp model turned off. The sub-outs are routed into a mixer and the mixer into the audio I/F so I'm all setup. The speaker sim on the VG-99 isn't very good so if I do use its amp models I won't use the speaker sim, I'll use S-Gear with just a speaker IR. 

I haven't had any problem with latency.

2017/09/13 21:49:23
clintmartin
batsbrew
ok, some cool responses, thanks folks... 
i may be hitting you guys up with some 'specific' question in the near future.

i'll be using my mesa boogie markIIb head.....

the question is, how to get the proper signal out of the boogie, and into the DAW.
Now, the boogie has it's own "SLAVE" out, with a level pot.....
but i've never used it.

to date, i've been using a Palmer PDI-09, a specialized DI box with cab filter circuit on it.
works great, it is what you guys have heard if you've checked out any of my recordings...

i really like it, but the IR's, and specifically Pete Thorn's vids have turned me onto the idea of using them.

with the Palmer, i can't use that line level, because i cannot defeat the cab filter that's already put onto the line out.

but, i also have a weber attenuator.

it has a line level out.
no level control on it, but i also have a A Designs Audio ATTY passive attenuator i can use to dial in the level from the weber.

i'm thinking THAT's how i'm going to get my line level into the daw.

anyone dealing with high wattage tube amps, and NOT buying or using the Suhr reactive load?!

Pete Thorn uses MixIRII also.
2017/09/13 22:42:16
batsbrew
rsinger
For amp modelling I normally use S-Gear and it uses convolution for the speaker sim. I have some Celestion IRs I use in addition to what's in S-Gear.

https://www.celestionplus.com/

When I record I normally use a VG-99 (whether I'm modelling the guitar or not) with the amp model turned off. The sub-outs are routed into a mixer and the mixer into the audio I/F so I'm all setup. The speaker sim on the VG-99 isn't very good so if I do use its amp models I won't use the speaker sim, I'll use S-Gear with just a speaker IR. 

I haven't had any problem with latency.

hi rsinger,
i'm not at all interested in amp modeling.

only taking line levels from tube amps and dialing in the speaker IR's.....
2017/09/13 22:46:56
batsbrew
clintmartin

Pete Thorn uses MixIRII also.

yep, so does Scott Henderson,
and that's where i heard about it first...
scott henderson:
"I don't know that app so I wouldn't be the right guy to ask. I'm going to burn a bridge here and advise you that the IR player plug-in makes a big difference in the sound of the IR. Pete Thorn told me about mixIR 2, made by Redwirez. It costs 50 bucks, but it's way worth it. 

Most IR players (especially the free ones like Wall Of Sound III and NadIR) truncate the sample. Many of the best IR's are 500 ms, so when the player reduces it down to 18 ms like Wall Of Sound does, you loose bass and and overall sound quality. 

I never would've believed this, but I heard it with my own ears, and the difference isn't subtle at all. So now the Two Notes guys can hate me, but they need to re-design their software to play longer samples."
2017/09/13 23:34:10
stm113cw
What does perfect space in Sonar do? That's what I use mostly
2017/09/14 00:03:00
batsbrew
i don't know.
i have sonar 6 PE.

is it in there?
2017/09/14 00:13:23
Leadfoot
Yeah bats, its in there. PE6 was my first foray into Sonar.
2017/09/14 01:17:05
batsbrew
ok, i'll experiment.

actually, here's the deal...

i'm in the middle of the big final mixdown for my new album "Trouble"

those tracks are done, mixes are 99%, and i'm about to start final mastering and then disc burning.

i can't get sidetracked with this new IR approach YET>........
until i get through this album mix.

then, i'm building a new DAW.....
my first in almost 10 years.
i'll update to S Plat or Pro, 
and then, i'll dive into this whole hog.

i'm gathering info now.

my young bud, who has a band here local, and is diving into some of their first real recording sessions,
i told all about this IR stuff..... even tho i'm not using it myself.
he was intrigued....

borrowed my weber attenuator, ATTY, and is using guitar rig to host his celestion IR's he bought, using his vox ac30 as his tone generator....

hooked it up last night,
and even without good level control of his line level, 
found awesome tones using the line out and IR.....

he's sold,

so i figure i ought to at least check it out too!!

2017/09/14 04:08:24
Jeff Evans
In case you are wondering (I used to service Boogies) the Boogie Slave output is from the secondary of the output transformer i.e. the signal feeding the speaker. Obviously attenuated. So at least it has got the sound of everything right up to the speaker. The speaker load has to be connected.

Try it and see. You never know it might be an OK sound.
2017/09/14 14:06:34
batsbrew
sounds like a plan jeff!

right now, i have at least 3 methods available to go line level into my babyface pro...

with options for external mic preamps as well.....

to date, the palmer has given me the most consistent full range tone,
almost identical to a close miced greenback with a sm57.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account