2017/08/23 09:23:38
AndyB01
Not sure how many folk use cloud backup services but I do and my supplier of choice for a few years now has been Crashplan. Unfortunately they announced yesterday that they are exiting the domestic market so those customers will have to make alternative arrangements. Nice eh. The reason for posting is to alert others and also because I have recommended CrashPlan in the past but looks like it's no longer an option. I'll be looking for an alternative supplier once my current subscription expires so if anyone has any experience of other services - good and bad - feel free to share.

Andy
2017/08/25 14:45:08
abacab
Here's a roundup over at PC Mag.  I still do mine locally, but I probably should look into this.

The Best Online Backup Services of 2017
https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp
2017/08/25 20:10:27
bapu
I've switched to CARBONITE after I got their email.

After 24 hours my main DAW was only 8% backed up (SONAR Projects are the bulk of my backup).

I backup all 4 of my C: drives to my NAS. Trouble is; the full backup is always bigger than 4GB (CARBONITE's single size file limit).

2017/08/26 10:29:00
fireberd
I'm old school.  I refuse to use cloud backup services.  I back up to two different USB connected hard drives (alternate backups between the two drives).  I don't want my data - whether public or private on someone else's server.  I'm not traveling or moving around so I don't need access to my data (or backed up data) from other locations.  

I even backup my iPhone locally (using iTunes) to my PC rather than a cloud service.
2017/08/28 19:31:07
bapu
By mid-day yesterday I was finally fully backed up for all my DAW projects (506GB).

Next up: CARBONITE my Acronis backups (5 computers in our household) from my NAS.

Further task: upgrade projects hard drive from 1TB to 2TB (saving old drive "as is") and then restore from CARBONITE and do a disk compare.
2017/08/29 13:13:47
BobF
fireberd
I'm old school.  I refuse to use cloud backup services.  I back up to two different USB connected hard drives (alternate backups between the two drives).  I don't want my data - whether public or private on someone else's server.  I'm not traveling or moving around so I don't need access to my data (or backed up data) from other locations.  

I even backup my iPhone locally (using iTunes) to my PC rather than a cloud service.

I'm with you.  I don't have much of a choice with a 768Kb up/4Mb down anyway 

I use Reflect, 2 NAS drives and a series of SATA via USB3 dock that I rotate.  A small fire box inside a big safe.  A Ruger P95, Browning A5 and an SKS (7.62/308) with 30rd mags for additional security.
2017/08/29 13:36:20
bapu
I doan need no steenken guns. I have 75Mbps/75Mbps.

2017/08/29 13:52:00
BobF
bapu
I doan need no steenken guns. I have 75Mbps/75Mbps.

Nice.  I'm jealous.

OTOH, you prolly have a proportionately greater number of people to deal with too 

2017/08/29 15:37:17
abacab
I imagine that Bob's data is probably safe. 
2017/08/30 20:11:26
AndyB01
Fair point the nice thing about CrashPlan is (or was) that you can encrypt the data with a key you store and retain locally so you effectively secure it using a TNO (trust no one) approach based around a custom key that you hold. Make the key suitably strong using AES 256 encryption and you can sleep pretty easy but I accept it's a very personal decision. Not sure if Carbonite will offer the same security options though, I'll have to check.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account