• Techniques
  • “Get Rid of the Egg Shell First” Technique (p.2)
2017/11/18 22:23:50
Jeff Evans
You need to be slightly careful too spending too much time listening to tracks in solo mode. You might think a track has a slightly narly sound to it for whatever reason but when in the total mix with everything else going on you might actually find (after level setting and panning) it is just cutting through rather nice. 

Fixing that sound before listening to it in a total mix might end up making it a little lame and not cutting through very well.  Then you will find yourself putting it back to the sound you had originally that did not sound so great on its own.

I also tend to agree with montezuma as well here in that if a sound has something very wrong with it, then it does not hurt to right it before it proceeds on towards the stereo mix buss.

2017/11/19 01:47:59
pistolpete
You could try the Ronco Inside the Egg Scrambler technique. This means that you do you work up front to get a good sound before you even crack the egg and record. If you find yourself messing with EQ too much, you have a good chance of over processing and ending up with something that sounds as unnatural as powdered eggs.
2017/11/19 02:02:17
Beepster
Jeff Evans
You need to be slightly careful too spending too much time listening to tracks in solo mode. You might think a track has a slightly narly sound to it for whatever reason but when in the total mix with everything else going on you might actually find (after level setting and panning) it is just cutting through rather nice. 

Fixing that sound before listening to it in a total mix might end up making it a little lame and not cutting through very well.  Then you will find yourself putting it back to the sound you had originally that did not sound so great on its own.

I also tend to agree with montezuma as well here in that if a sound has something very wrong with it, then it does not hurt to right it before it proceeds on towards the stereo mix buss.

Hi, Jeff.

This is one of the HUUUUUUGE mistakes I made in my early mixing efforts. Now things get molded "In Context" then if something about a specific sound is bugging me (in context) I'll solo the track and see what's up...

But of course constantly soloing and unsoloing with the rest of the mix (or whatever element I'm trying to balance that sound with).

Then letting my ears rest after the changes and rechecking... because they are generally borked for a little while after critical listening/tweaking.
2017/11/19 15:51:18
bitflipper
If only I could only convince my bandmates to think more like mixers on stage!
2017/12/06 09:57:51
Grem
bitflipper
If only I could only convince my bandmates to think more like mixers on stage!

Good luck with that!!
2017/12/06 12:24:15
ooblecaboodle
Jeff Evans

Absolutely! I see people (even fairly experienced producers) agonising over a drum kit resonating (snare wires buzzing in response to toms and kick, all the toms growling together, that kind of thing) and going to extreme lengths to eliminate any crosstalk, when in reality, it will make no difference when listening to the whole kit.
Also, more of a beginner's issue, is when guitarists want more bottom end in their guitar, particularly in heavier music. No, you don't, listen to it in in context as opposed to by itself, and you'll find the bass guitar is actually doing what you thought you needed the guitar to do.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account