2017/11/09 17:45:49
electrodome1
Anybody have an efficient system for creating bass lines, loops, midi loops?  I use Scarbee p/j - bass and run them through Amplitube4 bass amps, which ends up sounding good.  I end up having to write my own bass-lines, which is the most time-consuming thing, but sometimes it's worth it.
I like to be able to control the sound of the bass, but, like many others, I don't like taking the time to craft my own midi basslines.  But there appears to be no alternative...I can try to lay down some bass lines with my fender, but I'm a guitar player...I don't trust my ears when it comes to bass.  I've found the midi bass loops on the market to be few and of low quality.  
I would think there would be a huge demand for hi-quality midi bass loops that can be manipulated and enhanced with a good bass vst.  
2017/11/09 19:23:32
TheMaartian
Here are a few to try from Groove Monkee.

https://groovemonkee.com/collections/bass-loops
2017/11/09 19:28:28
electrodome1
Thanks, man...I have a bunch of GM grooves but no their hard rock songs - I'll probably end up using some of them but changing them around.  Bass is a real bear for me, unless I'm using bass synth.
2017/11/09 20:37:56
Mesh
Same here Dana.....I also have a hard time getting the bass lines I want, so I started looking into getting a real bass. A fairly cheap or used one.....the Ibanez Mikro has my attention at the moment, but will check out a few before getting one.
2017/11/09 20:57:42
electrodome1
Good luck.  I'm thinking of going back to the real bass, but I've had a hard time coming up with grooves...Sometimes I think the best thing to do is to produce the entire project, then add the bass at the very end.
2017/11/09 21:11:09
Slugbaby
If you're a guitar player, you could try recording the bass line on the guitar.  Run that audio through Melodyne to make a MIDI version of it, drop it down an octave, and then feed that into your bass synth.
2017/11/10 12:58:24
TheMaartian
Or try Jam Origin's MIDIGuitar. It's less than $100 and currently comes with MIDIBass (still monophonic), which will eventually be priced the same as MIDIGuitar. There are demos available for both. Lots of reviews. Lots of mentions on this forum (use the following search "site:forum.cakewalk.com MIDIGuitar"). Play your bass VSTi directly (live).

https://www.jamorigin.com/

Not bass, but this will give you a good idea.

2017/11/10 15:27:06
sharke
One technique I sometimes use to come up with bass lines (doesn't work in every case) is to write the chords of the song as sustained notes in the piano roll, then enable Sonar's arpeggiator and set it to something like 8th or 16th notes with whichever arpeggiator mode sounds closest to the kind of thing I want. Then, I bounce the MIDI clip, which will replace your chord MIDI clip with the arpeggiated notes. This is just a foundation of raw material to work from. Then go into the piano roll and set about playing with these notes - deleting some, moving others, adding new ones, lengthening or shortening some, maybe change the rhythm to triplets or dotted notes here and there. It's just a matter of trial and error, working measure by measure and trying stuff and playing it back until something good emerges. It's quite a brute force way of working and also random to some extent, but sometimes you end up with something which is really good and which you never would have come up with any other way. 
2017/11/10 15:36:28
TheMaartian
sharke
One technique I sometimes use to come up with bass lines (doesn't work in every case) is to write the chords of the song as sustained notes in the piano roll, then enable Sonar's arpeggiator and set it to something like 8th or 16th notes with whichever arpeggiator mode sounds closest to the kind of thing I want. Then, I bounce the MIDI clip, which will replace your chord MIDI clip with the arpeggiated notes. This is just a foundation of raw material to work from. Then go into the piano roll and set about playing with these notes - deleting some, moving others, adding new ones, lengthening or shortening some, maybe change the rhythm to triplets or dotted notes here and there. It's just a matter of trial and error, working measure by measure and trying stuff and playing it back until something good emerges. It's quite a brute force way of working and also random to some extent, but sometimes you end up with something which is really good and which you never would have come up with any other way. 

Interesting. Reminded me of a video by Ray Harmony I watched a couple of days ago on how to write a bass line.

https://youtu.be/OHSDnko5v-s
2017/11/10 16:53:54
electrodome1
Thank you, friends, for the info you've provided.  It confirms my suspicion that I'm not the only one who has found bass a challenge.  Jam Origin's MidiGuitar2 is, to me, a viable option for composing.  I've had a lot of fun with it...running it through Arturia soft synths - To me it works better that the Roland midi guitar attachment (by far)...and I spent a lot of money on a Melodyne program which I just can't figure out - despite hours of research and trial and error.
I feel best about bass lines which I can call my own...it's both constricting and liberating, but it makes for a lot of very meticulous and time-consuming work.  
I've used similar systems to the ones mentioned above and come up with good results in the past...One technique I used with some success is to use a vst soft-synth to lay down a moog Taurus bass clip and then duplicate it on a Scarbee p/j-bass track...
It seems like I was so much more free to push the envelope back 20-something years ago when Cakewalk software was so much more simple.  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account