2017/08/31 12:25:07
BobF
If/when they get the DHL guys sober enough to make it from KY to MO, I'll be going SSD for my system drive in my Win10 box.  I did this with my 8.1 machine and loved the startup and app load speeds.  I doubt I'll go much further than system drives any time soon.  Traditional drives are too cheap these days and are plenty fast for my audio needs.
2017/08/31 16:00:46
JohnKenn
Bob,
I had also thought about a truck, but the name of the song came almost without effort and needs real live cow crap to evolve the masterpiece. Don't have the song or lyrics yet, but got a name...

"Cow Pies Cryin' in the Rain"

I still have to find a farm around here somewhere.
2017/08/31 16:19:12
TheSteven
JohnKenn
Bob,
I had also thought about a truck, but the name of the song came almost without effort and needs real live cow crap to evolve the masterpiece. Don't have the song or lyrics yet, but got a name...

"Cow Pies Cryin' in the Rain"

I still have to find a farm around here somewhere.

How about "I'd rather you rain on my parade than on my gear" ?

Condolences to both Larry & John about respective troubles. 
2017/09/01 01:38:30
JohnKenn
Gear took a hit on top of extensive structural damage. Mint pristine Juno-60 a casualty among others. Major economic bleed but some things can't be replaced for any cost. Then they are just things. Think I chose the wrong time to retire however, facing an astronomical repair bill ahead..

Thanks for your kind words. Me and the wife were seeing the damage in Texas and wondered what was happening out of sync with us not being parallel battered as well. Our "fate" has always been such that global catastrophies are also dumped in our direction so we get to suffer with the larger family. Cool I guess. Maybe some math dude would say that coincident probabilities are less than on par with winning a lottery but still remotely possible.

Were wondering where our payback share of the water damage was and figured it was being saved for the next storm season for a delayed retribution. We were brought back to normality with the south side of our home and the studio collapsing into the water. Texas crisis resonating in a localized target in Oregon with predictable style. Sounds absurd crazy, but ass kicked once again like always happens.

Allah, can you postpone any major earthquakes in Tibet for awhile until we can get beyond this mess.

John

2017/09/01 01:45:23
Fleer
With you, John.
2017/09/01 02:15:36
JohnKenn
Thank you Fleer.
2017/09/02 12:08:38
Grem
So sorry to hear about your loss of the vintage gear John. I have some really nice stuff that I could never replace if that happened to me. Again, so sorry my friend.

Larry, when they went from the parallel ata to the SATA I always wondered how strong and long lasting those connections were. I am very careful when messing with them. They just seem so flimsy. Not like them old molex connections.
2017/09/02 19:58:31
kitekrazy1
 Anyone remember how hard it was to put on the AMD socket A sinks?  I damaged a board due to that.  A local system builder stopped building those rigs because of that.   I hate the Intel push pin. 

Upgrading RAM can be scary.
2017/09/02 22:12:27
cclarry
kitekrazy1
 Anyone remember how hard it was to put on the AMD socket A sinks?  I damaged a board due to that.  A local system builder stopped building those rigs because of that.   I hate the Intel push pin. 

I upgraded my CPU heat sink to a 4 contact Pipe unit.  It was a complete disassemble and rebuild
right down to having to replace the retainers on the Motherboard (Gigabyte 990 FX)
Not fun.  But it's very quiet and has worked beautifully...so there's that...
2017/09/02 22:21:13
kitekrazy1
cclarry
kitekrazy1

I upgraded my CPU heat sink to a 4 contact Pipe unit.  It was a complete disassemble and rebuild
right down to having to replace the retainers on the Motherboard (Gigabyte 990 FX)
Not fun.  But it's very quiet and has worked beautifully...so there's that...

That's with every 3rd party heatsink. The current stock AMDs easy.

I was referring to the old AMD Thunderbirds and Athlon XPs.

With current 3rd party heatsinks is when I do the most research.  I'm always more concerned with assembly and will it fit in a case. If one doesn't overclock why not stick with a stock cooler.  If they weren't sufficient there would be a lot of RMAs to AMD and Intel.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account