2011/11/21 17:00:32
Chrisma
I really like some of the kits in SI Drums but would like the option for multiple outputs. Is it possible to load a SI kit into S3? I tried could get S3 doesn't recognize the SI format. I know the kits are basically SFZ patches so I was surprised I could do it. Is there a work around or is just ain't gonna happen?

P.S. I know I can extract midi notes to separate tracks (cal) and open multiple instances of SI Drums. But I'd consider that a last resort option.

Thanks!
2011/11/22 00:08:20
mumpcake
In both SI and SD3, each piece of the kit is defined by its own sfz file.  The program files are a different format.  What you will need to do is import the .sfz files for each drum separately.

Open SD3.  For each drum do the following:
1. Click on the image of one of the drums
2. In the bottom left, near where it says DRUM->, it should have the name of the drum you clicked.  For example, if you clicked on the Hi-hat it will say "Hi Hat (Empty)"
3. Click on that text.  You will be prompted with a file open dialog.
4. Navigate to an sfz in the studio instruments directory which contains a hi hat.  For example, C:Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\Kits3 Hats.sfz
5.  Now the drum will become opaque, and the text box now displays "Kit3 Hats.sfz [12.5 MB]"

Repeat until you have all drums for the kit loaded.  You should be able to save that as a new program.

2011/11/22 08:51:09
chad
  The SI samples use a different encryption method unfortunately, they are locked to Studio Instruments. But you can take the drums from Dimension Pro and load them into SD3.
2011/11/30 22:51:43
mumpcake
chad

The SI samples use a different encryption method unfortunately, they are locked to Studio Instruments.

There is no encryption on the samples in either SI or SD3.  SI uses WAV files and SD3 uses FLAC files.  Both are pretty standard formats you could open in Winamp or Windows Media Player.  And as my post above shows, the sfz files used in SI are not locked to that plugin.

But you can take the drums from Dimension Pro and load them into SD3.

You can but it wouldn't work very well.   You can't load a .prog file in.   However, you can load any of the Dimension Pro sfz files onto any of the drums.  If you do so, only the notes assigned to that particular drum will play.  So if you load a drum sfz onto the bass drum, it will load the entire file, but only play notes 38 and 40.  Then you would need to load the same sfz file into the other drums. 
2011/12/02 16:34:23
Chrisma
mumpcake

In both SI and SD3, each piece of the kit is defined by its own sfz file.  The program files are a different format.  What you will need to do is import the .sfz files for each drum separately.

Open SD3.  For each drum do the following:
1. Click on the image of one of the drums
2. In the bottom left, near where it says DRUM->, it should have the name of the drum you clicked.  For example, if you clicked on the Hi-hat it will say "Hi Hat (Empty)"
3. Click on that text.  You will be prompted with a file open dialog.
4. Navigate to an sfz in the studio instruments directory which contains a hi hat.  For example, C:Program Files\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\Kits3 Hats.sfz
5.  Now the drum will become opaque, and the text box now displays "Kit3 Hats.sfz [12.5 MB]"

Repeat until you have all drums for the kit loaded.  You should be able to save that as a new program.
Thanks...that's the path I've headed down.

T.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account