2017/08/22 16:14:48
filtersweep
Curious to hear what others think. I use B4 II as my go to vst. I wish NI produced a 64 bit version. The 64 bit Vintage organs is, imho, a weak substitution for B4 II. Years ago, before I was more ITB, I relied on my Kurz PC3X KB3 mode for organ. Recently I have been using it more and more. There are some killer presets and the rotor, sometimes criticized, seems pretty decent to me. Though I still really enjoy the B4 II, I am blown away by how great the kb3 organs sound and how convenient it is to dial in usable sounds quickly. Obviously there are advantages to vsts when ITB but just in terms of sound quality I think the kb3 is on par with B4 II. Am I alone in this opinion of kb3? Do other workstations off comparably great on board organs?

Brian
2017/08/22 16:36:04
Sidroe
VB3 has quickly become the fan favorite it seems. It's 64 bit. It has been my goto after NI decided to kill upgrading B4 to 64 bit. I have never cared for workstation organ sounds. Most have very minimal drawbar control if any and I can tell you from experience that a true B3 organist is constantly riding the drawbars from beginning to end. I have never heard or seen a B3 sit there and play the same boring patch for the entire song. That to me is where the Vst wins, hands down!
2017/08/22 17:32:23
filtersweep
I hear ya. One nice thing abouth PC3X in kb3 mode is that it has 8 hardware sliders dedicated to drawbar control so you can ride them all day long. Not sure what other workstations have that feature. It is nice to have for controlling vst organs too.
2017/08/22 18:16:15
dcumpian
I had a Korg Triton and the organs are the only things I miss about it. There were realtime controls to allow changes to rotor speed and vibrato, as well as some minor changes to the tone.

Regards,
Dan

2017/08/22 21:45:34
eikelbijter
There is still nothing as good as the B4! I have tried it all...

R
2017/08/23 02:00:38
Fleer
That new Blue3 from GG-Audio now has a separate Leslie plugin. I was on the beta team and it's just amazing.
2017/08/23 13:59:51
Ham N Egz
both software and hardware here,

the B4II, the usual lot of sampled organs even some IOS stuff

Hammond SK2, Kurzweil Artis 7(btw look for the tweaked dual rotor patch/object available really a difference)
Kronos-X. I can use a Vent or lester K for rotary sim
IMHO the keyboards are much better, the real time control, the feel of the keys, the sounds, the down side is dragging the boards into my studio to set up..

also depends on how naked the organ is in the mix and the type of music John Lord distorted B3 or some Jazz organ...
2017/08/23 15:03:39
Fleer
Korg is apparently launching a Vox Continental version of its GrandStage keyboard.
2017/08/24 13:28:28
bitflipper
Nothing beats a purpose-built physical organ instrument. VB3 sounds great, certainly. But as someone who's been playing organ for half a century, I have to say that sound is only half the experience.

The other half is hair-trigger waterfall keys and real tactile drawbars and Leslie switches. I dearly miss my Hammond. VB3 on a laptop running Cantabile is a pale imitation, but will have to suffice until I can afford a Crumar Mojo or another Hammond. BTW, I also have a Kurzweil (rack version) with the KB3 mode. VB3 is better. Also note that the Crumar actually runs VB3 internally, making it the best of both worlds.
2017/08/24 18:01:49
Sidroe
I lost my beautiful B3 in a fire!!! Oh, well. I was getting too old to have to move it and a leslie around anyway. I'm mostly a guitar slinger anyway.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account