• Software
  • How do you rid your machine of Steinberg stuff?
2017/08/23 04:53:35
ampfixer
I had a demo of Cubase installed for an hour. I removed it after that brief trial, but I can't get rid of it. My system has all sorts of VST instruments and content from the install left behind. I can't delete it and I can't uninstall it. If you try and uninstall it you are asked to point the prg to the original install file. I deleted the  original D/L file because it was a free demo with no mention of security. Those guys are the most paranoid sobs going. I have to use the eLicenser to make my UR44 work. If I could build one I'd hardly need to pirate one.

OK, feeling better now, thanks.
2017/08/23 11:50:34
Fleer
It's what we're here for.
2017/08/23 12:25:14
Jim Roseberry
Hi John,

You can manually uninstall (which involves deleting the files, removing all folders/content, removing registry entries).
However, it may be easier to re-install... then use Programs And Features to uninstall.
2017/08/23 15:28:00
mettelus
+1 to the reinstall, then the default uninstaller will be in tact. System Restore Points (sometimes required manually before installation) are a bit cleaner to restore registry entries depending on how the uninstaller is scripted (what is called by the Programs and Features uninstall). Iobit has an "Uninstall Programs" utility which I believe is embedded in their Advanced System Care (not sure if this has a standalone version). That program first calls the uninstaller, but then also does a registry search for everything linked to the affected files (some programs have left close to 500 registry entries after an uninstaller pass).
2017/08/23 15:57:00
kitekrazy1
2 things I do:
Create a restore point and label it.  System restore in one of my favorite functions in Windows.
Use Revo Uninstaller to install and remove.  It does a great job of removing registry entries.
2017/08/23 16:38:49
ampfixer
I hear what you're all saying and I have tried. The installer is not on my system, it was a D/L from Steinberg that came when I bought my interface. They give you a code and you get the program. I can't actually see the directories on my machine, but in the Programs and Features section of Windows they are listed as installed. Trying to delete from this point tells me that they are not accessible. Could it be registry corruption. Good old CCleaner tells me everything in the registry is good. (Add Gollum voice) We hates it! 
2017/08/23 17:55:38
The Maillard Reaction
2017/08/23 18:20:40
abacab
Are you saying it is not possible for you to download the installer again?
2017/08/23 18:27:41
abacab
I tried the Cubase Elements 9 demo and that sucker installed a generic Steinberg ASIO driver on my system.  I did not pay any attention to that, except that when I tried to start Sonar again Sonar wouldn't accept my REAL ASIO driver.  And it didn't like the new one either.

Prior to the Cubase demo install I had been messing around with WASAPI for grins, and had temporarily disabled my interface and ASIO driver.  Tried WASAPI with my onboard sound chip.

So I assume the Steinberg installer wanted me to have ASIO, so it put it on there for me.

Then I removed all traces of Steinberg, and everything went back to normal.  But it had me going for a bit!

2017/08/23 20:37:42
soens
The only way I know is:

1. Create restore point.
2. Manually delete all Steinberg folders and files.
3. Manually delete all Steinberg registry entries.

I just did a registry search for "Steinberg" and found nothing. So unless you have Steinberg stuff you want to keep, this should be OK to do.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account