• Software
  • Why are there so many knobs in audio software?
2017/08/26 12:49:20
jerrydf
Here's an article on the issue. Not too deep, and no vision of where interface design is going, but sort of interesting ...

https://theoutline.com/post/2157/why-are-there-so-many-knobs-in-garage-band 

" ... Skeuomorphic design, where user interfaces emulate the appearance of physical objects, has been popular for pretty much the history of personal computing. The ideas of “files,” “folders,” and the “recycle bin” in Windows could be considered skeuomorphs, intended to help transition early computer users from analog to digital, as could the idea of an “inbox” and “outbox” in email and the paperclip that symbolizes attachments. More recently, a lot of early iOS apps were famous for their heavy-handed skeuomorphic elements, with felt textures and chunky drop shadows..."

contimues ..

jdf
2017/08/27 01:06:44
kennywtelejazz

Hey man whats with all the 5 dollar words  I had to look stuff up ? 

From Wiki .

Virtual skeuomorphs

Skeuomorph of a hardware-like interface for manipulating digital audio with the Redstair GEARcompressor Audio Unit-Plugin.

Many computer programs have a skeuomorphic graphical user interface that emulates the aesthetics of physical objects. Examples include a digital contact list resembling a rolodex,[17] and the 1998 RealThings package.[18] A more extreme example is found in some music synthesis and audio processing software packages, which closely emulate physical musical instruments and audio equipment complete with buttons and dials.[19]
Apple Inc., while under the direction of Steve Jobs, was known for its wide usage of skeuomorphic designs in various applications. This changed after Jobs' death when Scott Forstall, described as "the most vocal and high-ranking proponent of the visual design style favored by Mr. Jobs", resigned. Apple designer Jonathan Ive took over some of Forstall's responsibilities and had "made his distaste for the visual ornamentation in Apple’s mobile software known within the company".[20] With the announcement of iOS 7 at WWDC in 2013, Apple officially shifted from skeuomorphism to a more simplified design, thus beginning the so-called "death of skeuomorphism" at Apple.[21]
......................................................................................................................................................................

Anyway cutting out all the chit chat ...I happen to like how most of my audio software looks ...

I figure if I'm gonna sit here on my ever widening arse and pretend that I'm running a multi million dollar emulation of a recording studios hardware on a lap top , I may as well go in for the whole burrito and not just the bean ....

Kenny

2017/08/27 01:15:00

Why are there so many knobs in audio software?

I wonder that myself every time I visit these forums, I must say I have come across many more knobs using SONAR than any other DAW I have ever used
2017/08/27 01:39:27
kennywtelejazz
Matron Landslide

Why are there so many knobs in audio software?

I wonder that myself every time I visit these forums, I must say I have come across many more knobs using SONAR than any other DAW I have ever used

Kenny
2017/08/27 01:48:57
Vastman
Knobs=power! Control! Flexibility!
Currently industry is beginning to emulate the fabfilter mentality, which reduces knobs but facilitates visual controllability. Even Sonar's latest VST's  do this...
2017/08/27 01:54:32
Case in point . . . see what I mean?, a couple of the biggest knobs you'll find anywhere, and it's SONAR

2017/08/27 03:28:21
RSMCGUITAR
You think those are bad check out this one:

2017/08/27 03:35:52
DrLumen
To be honest and actual effect aside, I think those are rather ridiculous. Kinda like an outline with only 1 entry 1.A.i.a. etc. A book with one sentence. A song with 1 note. You get the idea...
2017/08/27 03:39:24
sharke
That Waves vocal plugin they've illustrated the article with is, admittedly, effing ridiculous. I hate designs like that, way too busy and ornate. I don't mind stuff which has 3D knobs and dials, but when they try to make it look like a fantasy video game I'm a little turned off.
2017/08/27 10:26:18
kennywtelejazz
RSMCGUITAR
You think those are bad check out this one:

Yikes what were they thinking with the mug on that plugin

I have to look at someone just like this for a while to clear my eyeballs

Kenny
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account