2014/11/29 06:16:24
azslow3
Reading several threads, especially the last about PC in Track view, reading about Metro changes in Windows 10 and "fighting" with PC in CS API, I have the following idea.

Since PC is just another FX bin and PC modules are FX plug-ins with special (additional, proprietary) UI, why do not integrated them ? At the moment, PC module can not be in FX bin and FX module can be in PC in wrapped mode only. When both are merged into one:
  • FX bin and PC represent the same set of FXes/PC modules.
  • In FX bin, PC module looks like any other FX (a button with name) and has normal (not PC) GUI (except some CW PC modules, they have "normal" FX GUI version already).
  • In PC, PC modules have special GUI (like now) and FX modules are shown like collapsed EQ module with "Open Zoom Window" button to open normal GUI.
I think that is relatively easy to implement technically and avoid "FX bin vs PC" questions.
2014/11/29 06:28:23
Grem
So your saying that when I stick a non-PC FX in, it will have a "fly-out" GUI?
2014/11/29 06:42:33
azslow3
Grem
So your saying that when I stick a non-PC FX in, it will have a "fly-out" GUI?

VST GUI is internal window. It is normally wrapped into usual SONAR plug-in window (with all related decorations). I do not think there is a problem to wrap it into "fly-out" window (till it is already shown separately... but that is a technical detail)
2014/11/29 07:19:02
gswitz
This is an interesting thought.

The FX Bin has been becoming increasingly obsolete, yet I still use it sometimes (mostly for MAutoAlign). It is hard to be able to enable and disable FX without expanding the Pro Channel. This would also enable you to group the on and off buttons for the FX in the bins.

Interesting thought, thanks for sharing.

I'm interested to see what the next version of Sonar might look like.
2014/11/29 14:52:41
Grem
gswitz
This is an interesting thought.

The FX Bin has been becoming increasingly obsolete, yet I still use it sometimes (mostly for MAutoAlign). It is hard to be able to enable and disable FX without expanding the Pro Channel. This would also enable you to group the on and off buttons for the FX in the bins.

Interesting thought, thanks for sharing.

I'm interested to see what the next version of Sonar might look like.

I don't use the FX bin hardly at all anymore. It's the FX Chain that I use now. Because so much of what I do now revovles around the PC. The "Fly-Out GUI" is the perfect solution!

So instead of the FX Chani in the PC, you would just load a plugin directly in the PC. If that plug has no PC GUI, then it's regular GUI would be displayed in the "Fly-Out" and it would only show in the PC as a collapsed strip. Not a bad solution at all!

This would be available to Producer only editions of Sonar. All others below Producer would still use the FX bin.
2014/11/29 15:42:26
stickman393
gswitz
The FX Bin has been becoming increasingly obsolete

For you, perhaps. Some of us still use it exclusively, yes, even in X3 Producer.
2014/11/29 16:33:52
FastBikerBoy
I fail to see what's wrong with the current set up. The PC is there for those who want to use it, and the FX bin is there for those that want that. Or a combination of both of course. 

I love the fact I can have the PC open in the inspector and it's content follows my track focus. I appreciate that you can't see it all the time in all tracks in just the track view but all you can see of the FX bin in that context is it's contents so fail to see any advantage there. 

At the moment either method works so why force one way or another?
2014/11/29 17:21:34
gswitz
Sorry. I didn't mean to step on toes. I've never thought about it before.
2014/11/29 17:57:29
Kev999
gswitz
...The FX Bin has been becoming increasingly obsolete...

If most plugin effects can only be used in the FX Bin, how can the FX Bin be obsolete?
2014/11/29 17:59:49
azslow3
FastBikerBoy
I fail to see what's wrong with the current set up. The PC is there for those who want to use it, and the FX bin is there for those that want that. Or a combination of both of course.

You can put "some" FXes in PC only, other in FX bin and yet other which have both incarnations.  PC is just another FX bin with specific GUI approach. That is like "Metro/Desktop duality" and MS has already realized that some "merging" is a good idea
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account