2017/08/20 13:54:20
Magic Russ
paulo

Trying to see what this is all about for the first time, looking in Reaktor Factory Library and I mostly seem to have a collection of things with some presets that I either can't get to make a noise at all (ie Blue matrix) or things that won't stop making a noise (ie Metaphysical function)

I don't remember what blue matrix is all about, but just making space noises is the point of metaphysical function.

2017/08/20 14:41:24
paulo
Magic Russ

....... just making space noises is the point of metaphysical function.

I gathered that, and it certainly makes some interesting noises, it would be just be nice to be able to start and stop it a little more elegantly than with an on or off click of the mouse. Would it really have been so difficult to trigger it with a keyboard and have it stop when the key(s) are released? Or maybe you can and I just can't figure out how ? That's really what my WTF? is about.
2017/08/20 14:43:27
paulo
Glyn Barnes
paulo

Some of it is interesting, but some seems to me to be a case of just being different for the sake of being different. I can't see those getting a lot of use from me.

Even more so if you go to the users content on the NI website There is a lot of good stuff there but in many cases getting an idea of what it does and how to use it is a major challenge. Remember some things are effects and need an audio in, not instruments.

Hmm, I don't think I'm going to be looking to find any more challenges just yet. I doubt I'll live long enough to figure it all out as it is.
2017/08/20 17:14:27
rsinger
paulo

Yeah, I figured that much out now, but that only seems to work for me when in record mode, which is not much help when I'm just trying to audition things and see what the presets are etc before committing to anything 

I don't need to be in record mode to audition the instruments/patches in Reaktor.
2017/08/20 19:59:43
paulo
rsinger
paulo

Yeah, I figured that much out now, but that only seems to work for me when in record mode, which is not much help when I'm just trying to audition things and see what the presets are etc before committing to anything

I don't need to be in record mode to audition the instruments/patches in Reaktor.

OK, well that's not what's happening here.

Here's my scenario.......

New project>insert synth>Reaktor 6>from factory library/Sequenced synthesizers select Blue Matrix> select first preset within that (Jam Jarre) then press play in sonar......

Playback/Synth very briefly starts and then stops again. That's all. Nothing else happens. I presume because as far as sonar is concerned, there are no tracks to play.

Select record mode for the Reaktor track, start via record button and then it plays as you might expect, but to my simple mind how am I supposed to know what I want to record when I haven't yet been able to hear what the synth is going to do without starting the recording process ?

This is the only way I can get BM to make a sound. RTFM refers only to "Start the system clock and step through the presets!" I'm obviously missing the point.

2017/08/22 00:36:13
shawker
To play clock based ensembles in Sonar you need a clip on the Reaktor midi track. Create a midi clip with 1 short note and stretch it out as long as you need.  Don't insert Reaktor as a simple instrument track, make sure you have an audio and midi track.  Also save the midi clip to the browser so you can reuse it for other projects.  As you said, Sonar needs something to play so this is it.
If you had something else like audio drum loops in the project, the above wouldn't be needed, Sonar would play the drum loops and Reaktor would play along in sync. 
2017/08/22 08:58:35
paulo
shawker
To play clock based ensembles in Sonar you need a clip on the Reaktor midi track. Create a midi clip with 1 short note and stretch it out as long as you need.  Don't insert Reaktor as a simple instrument track, make sure you have an audio and midi track.  Also save the midi clip to the browser so you can reuse it for other projects.  As you said, Sonar needs something to play so this is it.
If you had something else like audio drum loops in the project, the above wouldn't be needed, Sonar would play the drum loops and Reaktor would play along in sync. 

Thanks.

I figured that much out when fiddling with it yesterday. Poor design IMO.
2017/08/22 14:59:06
yorolpal
Reaktor gives me a headache...always has.  But there are loads of great premade presets by other folks that are available.  But learning how to program Reaktor is a bit like building a perpetual motion machine.  Just when you think you've got it...you don't.

2017/08/22 15:07:35
synkrotron
paulo
Poor design IMO.

Perhaps Reaktor is the wrong tool for what you are trying to do?
2017/08/22 15:38:55
paulo
synkrotron
paulo
Poor design IMO.

Perhaps Reaktor is the wrong tool for what you are trying to do?

I'm not trying to do anything other than hear the sounds that it makes. If I can't do that one simple thing without putting a dummy clip in place to trick it into actually playing something, then I'd say that was a poor design.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account