2014/10/01 08:38:33
ston
AKA 'Logical Editor'.

Having to...

o learn a new scripting language
o write a new script for each new task
o manage a burgeoning collection of scripts

...should not be part of using a modern DAW, IMHO.

Using a clear, well-designed, flexible and powerful UI tool which will generate and run CAL scripts behind the scenes to perform various automated editing tasks should be.
2014/10/01 10:01:24
scook
There has been nothing new about CAL for a very long time. CAL is barely a part of SONAR see http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/1886369. Can't see Cakewalk spending any effort writing tools to support a feature that was abandoned almost 15 years ago.
2014/10/01 10:51:13
ston
I honestly would not know, having taken precisely zero interest in CAL :-)

However, my proposition remains, whether it's CAL that's generated & run in the background or some other mechanism that's used.

I don't see the point of having a plethora of menu items and (perhaps soon to be retired) CAL scripts in the Sonar application when the entirely of all that can be replaced with a single dialog.  Not just replaced but have the functionality almost infinitely surpassed.

This existed 30 years ago, it still remains the most useful, flexible and powerful tool I've ever used in a DAW.
2014/10/01 11:01:44
Splat
> This existed 30 years ago, it still remains the most useful, flexible and powerful tool I've ever used in a DAW.

I sort of like the idea of expanding it, and maybe it should be improved in order to differentiate further from other DAW products. At the moment it's a "hidden feature" that could be quite a selling point if improved and marketed well...

Think Reaktor...
2014/10/01 11:14:34
Grem
IIRC, isn't there a new DAW UI that has all kinds of macros to use with it? It may be for PT only.
 I saw a video on it and when I saw it the first thing I thought of was Cal.

So Alex you may have a point in that it could be a selling point being already integrated into Sonar.

I did use a gaming UI at one time for CW. It allowed many macros to use per mode, and it had three modes. I have forgotten what I used it for, but it was nice to make a selection, hit a button, done. Don't think I ever used it with the X series.

2014/10/01 13:10:59
stevec
Something along the lines of Studio One's Macros?   Yeah, that would be very cool for automating otherwise tedious tasks.
2014/10/01 13:23:46
robert_e_bone
I whip up dopey little CAL scripts once in a while, to do simple tasks in an automated fashion.

There are a couple of CAL editors running around - don't know if they still work.

If anyone wanted to send me a PM with an email address, I could send back an email with an attached zip folder of the CAL stuff I have gathered over the years.  It is certainly small enough to toss into an email.  It would include some documentation and 2-3 editors I had found some time back.

Again - just shoot me a PM with an email address if anyone wants it, 

I also recall some new control surface by perhaps Steven Slate, where its big claim to fame is some sort of massive scripting functionality, to do all kinds of things for you that most other DAW software makes you do manually.  Point here is that SOMEONE thinks this kind of functionality is still relevant in the marketplace.

Bob Bone

2014/10/01 14:25:26
scook
Would be nice to have a new macro language in SONAR. It might take some time to implement.

There is an OK dedicated editor CAL Editor. I don't use the editor but the CAL Reference is handy. CAL still works and I use it for very simple MIDI and time line manipulation but that is it.

For stacking SONAR functions together and repetitive tasks, I have started using AutoHotkey. Because it is a general solution, performing some application specific tasks may be difficult or impossible. On the other hand, AutoHotkey can be used with any application.
2014/10/01 15:29:36
Atsuko
Last year, I attended a Coursera's course called Survey of Music Technology (Georgia Tech).  They used EarSketch, a Python programming environment for music within Reaper.  The course was an open eye for me and they are starting a new cicle of this course on monday.  If anyone's interested, here's the link: https://www.coursera.org/course/musictech
2014/10/02 01:09:54
Kev999
ston
...precisely zero interest in CAL...

I had no interest in CAL either... until yesterday! After reading some instructions posted by Scook and D8, I created a pair of CAL files and bound keystrokes to each of them so that I can move the timeline back or forward by a single beat. I took me no longer than 5 minutes to set this up and I was really pleased with the new feature that I had just added. I'll certainly be looking out for more ways of using CAL in future.

On the other hand, I don't think that CAL editing will ever be carried out to such an extent by enough users to justify a new UI.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account